HD6870 or 560ti? and ssd advice needed

My guess is it is some sort of memory problem. AMD has had problems with GDDR5 causing corruption since 4870 came out. You should get a new card IMO. Why? Because not everyone is having these problems and that tells me that there is something flawed about your particular card.

Furmark is often a good test of whether the card will totally corrupt/GSOD and freeze.

Hmmm. I haven't tried to disable vsync. Some of the distant mountain snow/fog textures outside of Whiterun flicker on both 560 and 6950. Looks like a z buffering problem to me. Mouse lag is not apparent to me on either card. I can't think of any special issues with the Radeon.

I recon its a driver bug, have you got mlaa turned on ?

No I don't think so. Just the default driver settings.

My guess is it is some sort of memory problem. AMD has had problems with GDDR5 causing corruption since 4870 came out. You should get a new card IMO. Why? Because not everyone is having these problems and that tells me that there is something flawed about your particular card.

Furmark is often a good test of whether the card will totally corrupt/GSOD and freeze.

Furmark runs 100% perfect. That's the thing. Furmark is OK and futuremark and skyrim only show some artifacts at boot for 2 or 3 seconds and after that its perfectly fine as well. I will get a new card. As you say this is not supposed to happen and I don't want to wait for RMA a couple of months from now if the problem gets worse. I can trade or get money back within 2 weeks so I'll go and see what I can get in exchange. Probably not much. The only card in the same range is the 560 (non ti) and that is slower than the 6870. Next up is the gtx470 but that is slower than the 6870 as well (in bf3 anyways) and 50 euro's more expensive.

edit: Could the memory problem also cause a performance problem? CS:Source suddenly runs crap, even dips into the 40fps on iceworld... Never had that with my other card. Also, I've been checking some skyrim benchmarks and even the 6850 does 40+fps in a area where I got 20fps. Granted, my cpu is a lot slower but a q6600@3ghz isnt that slow either. Anyway, decided that ill just order a new card tomorrow and when it arrives I'll take this one back for a rebate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'll be getting a asus 560ti now :) I'll have to pay 25 euros extra but at 170 euros I suppose its still a pretty sweet deal. Card should arrive this friday.

Dude I've run so many multi-gpu set ups over the years that I know most of that article is complete bullshit.

My frames rates were solid, never dipped and I never seen any stuttering at all.

I'm pretty sure you're just not noticing it which is fine because I think this is one of those things that doesn't bother everyone. Like how I'm not bothered by input lag unless it's really bad. But feel free to restart the discussion thread on it.

I'm pretty sure you're just not noticing it which is fine because I think this is one of those things that doesn't bother everyone. Like how I'm not bothered by input lag unless it's really bad. But feel free to restart the discussion thread on it.

Im not denying that its not there, The article makes it seem like its very noticeable and bad when in reality you'll never see or feel it.

Back