HD6870 or 560ti? and ssd advice needed

Remember that dual GPU setups have microstutter and a reliance on game profiles. 6890 is a dual Barts right? I'd go for a single GPU setup.

If you want to find a quiet card I suggest asking over on the SilentPCReview forum. A nice thing about my MSI GTX 560 Ti is fan control via MSI's Afterburner. The card's BIOS is tuned for low temp and spins up to a scream unless I use Afterburner. This is something to look for because these companies often tune RPM/temp ramps for deaf overclockers.

Sorry, I ment 6870.

Does not having a pci-e 2.x mainboard make a big difference in performance btw?

@swaaye: I'm getting a msi card so it should come with the afterburner software. Also the review I read said the card was set up for low rpm, hench the reviewer stating it never got above 30% fanspeed. Though he turned it up, thinking 70c was a unacceptable temperature for a card under load...

Sorry, I ment 6870.

Does not having a pci-e 2.x mainboard make a big difference in performance btw?

@swaaye: I'm getting a msi card so it should come with the afterburner software. Also the review I read said the card was set up for low rpm, hench the reviewer stating it never got above 30% fanspeed. Though he turned it up, thinking 70c was a unacceptable temperature for a card under load...

They very quiet compared to HD6970 and HD6970 aren't that bad either ;)

coli can you not find the extra and get a 6950 they can be flashed to a 6970 (more or less)
they are normally 2gb but i believe there is a cheaper 1gb version
according to this 2gb + 1gb perform the same
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/02/11/amd-radeon-hd-6950-1gb-review/4

The cheapest one is 50 euro's more than what I ended up paying now. At 145 I really already spent more than I wanted.

Though I must say I love this card already. Not because its so fast. I wouldnt know, havent booted a game yet. But its terribly silent. I think my cpu fan is actually making more noise now and I can't remember the last time I heard that fan! My 4870 sounded like a jet compared to this. Though half of that would probably be solved by cleaing the fan real good...

Anybody wanna buy a 4870? :p

I just played skyrim for about an hour and I didn't hear my pc at all so it's gotta be pretty silent when running under loads as well.

I assume you mean 6870? well because it was the only card within my budget. The next cheapest option would have been the 560ti at 190 euro's while it hardly performs better. Getting anything more expensive would have made no sense for me as I plan on going abroad for a year ~8 months from now if things work out the way I hope they do.

The GTX470 is an interesting option if you can find it for <$200 (the only one on Newegg right now is a recert for $210). Usually they can be clocked to at least 700MHz without any voltage tweaking or anything. This would certainly be faster than a 6870 and carry an extra 280MB of VRAM which will come in handy occasionally. Plus it's a GF100 chip and carries the obvious advantages with geometry and tessellation.

Shit, just found out I might have a card thats not 100% OK :s

In cs: source in the main menu, I sometimes get artifactish errors. Grey blocks appear. However, ingame everything is fine. Same as when playing skyrim or running furmark. I also get it in one other piece of software I use. Nothing fancy, and nothing that relies on the gpu. Just a office kinda program.

But after checking again I don't see it anymore. Also I didn't see anything wrong while gaming...

I have futuremark run for a while tomorrow. I assume that if something is wrong with the memory it will show up during benching.

edit: Card is fucked :( Keep seeing more and more little errors, little red lines, small white blocks etc.

Shitty thing is, I took it from work and this is the last card we had and even the main office didn't have any new ones so I doubt I'll get a new 6870. Can get my money back but buying the same card online will cost more again...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd certainly go NVIDIA at this point, with all the recent AMD screwups on major titles. Apparently Skyrim doesn't even support Crossfire right now, and predictably SLI is working without issue. Also [H] found Skyrim to be very glitchy on the 6970 and works flawlessly on the GTX580.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well my 6950 is working nicely with Skyrim I think. The only thing that causes problems is forcing MSAA+adaptive AA. Otherwise it's perfect as far as I can tell. I have put maybe 10 hours into the game.

But yeah I have zero complaints about my GTX 560. I haven't tried Skyrim on it yet though.

So you haven't noticed any of these issues on the 6950?:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/11/elder_scrolls_v_skyrim_performance_iq_preview/3

We started playing this game upon initial launch on a single Radeon HD 6970 video card. When we launched the game the first thing that hit us hard in the face was an immense amount of mouse lag. As we moved our mouse on the screen, even just to start a new game, there was a severe mouse cursor lag. We have read that there are some INI tweaks you can do to alleviate this, but on first launch, out-of-box, the mouse was very laggy and that translated to a bad experience in-game.

We also noticed that with the Radeon HD 6970 video card we could not disable VSYNC. We had it disabled in the driver control panel, but in-game we were still capped at 60 FPS max. We have also read that you can force this off in an INI file, we have not tried it yet, but in this out-of-box experience we had no control over VSYNC on the Radeon HD 6970.

We experienced two bugs on the Radeon HD 6970 in the first 30 minutes of playing. The first bug was that we experienced flashing textures on far off mountain ranges that could be seen in the distance. During the first scripted scene, as you are carted down to the town, there are mountains off in the distance. With the HD 6970 we saw the textures on them flashing as we were moving. The second bug is a more severe bug to the gameplay experience. We experienced a jerky or jittery performance behavior on a single Radeon HD 6970 video card in certain areas. As we were moving through the caves at the beginning of the game, there were some areas that all of the sudden became jerky in motion. Finally, when we got out into the outdoor world, as we moved through the forests we encountered some jerky and jittery performance behavior. It was not smooth, and this was with a single HD 6970.

A lot.

I've been trying to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. My first thought was the memory must be bad. But the weird thing is that I don't have any problems while gaming.

I'm now running this program called video memory tester and it's on it's third pass without reporting any problems.

The only time I get some errors is in programs like firefox or CCC. I included some screenshots.

I figured maybe the memory is OK but because the card downclocks itself and I assume also lowers the voltage maybe when idle the memory is getting a little bit too little power? Common sense would say that if the memory was bad, it would show up for sure while gaming and not just in idle mode right?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 4
Back