HD 5870 first impressions

Hopefully this thread can be used to give first impression about the 5850 too :) Here's the first two things I noticed: a) The card is heavy! b) The card is almost silent! Compared to my previous cards, 4850 and 4650, the difference in noise level is really huge. I've only had time to play some Fallout3 so here's my initial pros and cons list.

Pros:
+Really like the reference cooler. It's almost silent.
+The card is fast. Being able to play F3 with 1600x1200 with all settings maxed out is nice.
+Installation was easy. Just downloaded and installed the recommended drivers from AMD's site and was all set to go.

Cons:
-CCC is little engineerish. I tried to test the Eyfinity (using 2 monitors) and I had to randomly click the control panel to find the correct place. Why use the name "Display group" if "Eyfinity" is used in all the marketing material? I think I was able to create a correct display group because maximizing Steam stretched the window to both monitors. But when trying to play Fallout 3 with it, the game only showed 1600x1200 as the maximum resolution.

-After disabling the display group, my second monitor was set to clone-mode even though before it was set to expand the desktop. I couldn't find way to change that through CCC so I had to use Win 7's display management to get back to previous situation.

Overall:
=Really satisfied with the card. Though I do hope that the later driver releases make the process of setting Eyfinity easier.

I think I was able to create a correct display group because maximizing Steam stretched the window to both monitors. But when trying to play Fallout 3 with it, the game only showed 1600x1200 as the maximum resolution.
For Eyefinity to work with a game, the game needs to get it's resolutions from Windows. If the game instead has it's own built-in list of resolutions or something, Eyefinity won't work.

I would've expected Fallout 3 to still query the available resolutions via the standard D3D interfaces though. I know that Oblivion would do this, as I used a custom resolution for output on my TV.

Back