Hard Drive up-time

MatiasZ

Regular
Does anybody know of a way to see how long a hard drive has been running? I know one of my drives is "restarting" itself (I hear it go down and come up again after a couple of minutes or seconds if I access it's contents) and I would like to know which one is it as I'm worried. I've run SMART tests without an answer, and I assume it's not my OS raptor since it would hang the system. I'm running Vista RC2 btw, just in case this is something "normal" for this beta OS to do.

Any help on this would be appreciated ;)

Regards,

Matias

I would assume this is some powersaving feature. You should go to Western Digital's homepage and see if you can find some config util that can edit the features of the disk. Something like IBM/Hitachi's Featuretool.

going off the MTBF isnt going to help you much. If its behaving abnormal, then theres problably something wrong with it. SMART can literally be useless. My 200gb barracuda just took a dump on me an hour ago and the drives problably just over a year old, its hilarious. All software utilities never once said anything was abnormal. Its been having problems with bad sectors and corrupting software for quite awhile so i was prepaired. Just wanted to ride it into the ground. Mechanical failure is almost impossible to detect via software and is usually left up to your own ears.

Basically, if this is a new feature for your harddrive, just be prepaired. Do a command prompt chkdsk on it and see if that comes up with anything for fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
going off the MTBF isnt going to help you much. If its behaving abnormal, then theres problably something wrong with it. SMART can literally be useless. My 200gb barracuda just took a dump on me an hour ago and the drives problably just over a year old, its hilarious. All software utilities never once said anything was abnormal. Its been having problems with bad sectors and corrupting software for quite awhile so i was prepaired. Just wanted to ride it into the ground. Mechanical failure is almost impossible to detect via software and is usually left up to your own ears.

Basically, if this is a new feature for your harddrive, just be prepaired. Do a command prompt chkdsk on it and see if that comes up with anything for fun.

Yeah I know this is unusual and I'm sort of prepared for it to die (I hope not!). The thing is I have 5 hard drives on my setup right now, so finding out which one is the one having trouble is not so easy... that's why I was looking to see if there was a way to know how long a HD had been running...

Back