Halo: Reach

Josh, I need you to show me how to play this game. I'm getting worked pretty badly. I think the pistol is the weakest weapon in the game.

Big change: They need to make it once you change to spawn on someone to stays there. There isn't always enough time to change load out and pick who to spawn on.

AR tip #1. Don't fire until it is RED. The range on the AR is ridiculously SHORT.

AR tip #2. It seems to do better when bursting... need more testing on this.

Whoa. That's a big level, and with lots of small details on top... Love the exploding barrels, nice little touch.

I am hoping the campaign will transverse through different type environment. I love the improved graphics but everything is looking too samey for me. Haven't seen anything from the campaign yet but if someone told me this map for the multiplayer was dlc for Halo 3(minus the improved quality) I would believe them. Other games got reamed for being nothing new I don't understand how this gets away with it also.

I am hoping the campaign will transverse through different type environment. I love the improved graphics but everything is looking too samey for me. Haven't seen anything from the campaign yet but if someone told me this map for the multiplayer was dlc for Halo 3(minus the improved quality) I would believe them. Other games got reamed for being nothing new I don't understand how this gets away with it also.

What do you want, pink water? Maybe that comes off harsh, but one thing Halo does well is have a lot of different environments, so it is hard to add completely unique stuff when you previous title had space station, desert, arctic, jungle, and so forth maps. Really, that link shows how they have a lot of variety.

As a BF player, no one gets upset when we continue to see snow, desert, jungle, canyon, etc landscapes. Bungie has a set universe/art style so major deviations are not to be expected. That said the maps (a) look technically better (b) look artistically better and (c) are different. Comparing High Ground to Power House is no contest. Two Sword, as much as I dislike it, is a lot better than Construct or Blackout. That said I think Epitat and Cold Storage with the new engine would look awesome (texture filtering ftw!)

Anyhow, the big feel change is gameplay. This isn't Halo 3. New maps designed around the new gameplay feel completely different. Covy Slayer or Team Crazy Hill don't feel or play like Halo 3. It really is a new experience in the Haloverse. So while you don't have flipping gravity (Prey), destruction (Red Faction, Bad Company), or massive multiplayer and the universe it still the same the game feels like a completely different product. As for "same" feeling, the graphics are a lot better. Not perfect, but much better. The biggest issue now is aliasing and LOD. The motion blur grows on you and texturing is better than most games and general lighting and shadows are good. Jaggies and LOD are the draw back. It is a big jump over Halo 3. AO looks nice, water is excellent, lighting is a notch better, shadows aren't crap anymore, particles are excellent.

Reach didn't turn into Serious Sam over night but it definitely is different. It is gonna look the "same" because it has 10M consumer who want a Halo game.

Josh, I need you to show me how to play this game. I'm getting worked pretty badly. I think the pistol is the weakest weapon in the game.

I pretty much suck right now. Spawn together? User your nades? Be more tactical with tricking people? Avoid playing with all us losers? Hint: Don't fly around nonstop or pull an Al... I was so tired earlier I was invisible and all these guns spawned around me and I was admiring the textures and AO and how detailed the guns looked on the ground. Then some red guy ran buy and I missed a free kill and I realized: Crap, I just became Al!

What do you want, pink water? Maybe that comes off harsh, but one thing Halo does well is have a lot of different environments, so it is hard to add completely unique stuff when you previous title had space station, desert, arctic, jungle, and so forth maps. Really, that link shows how they have a lot of variety.

As a BF player, no one gets upset when we continue to see snow, desert, jungle, canyon, etc landscapes. Bungie has a set universe/art style so major deviations are not to be expected. That said the maps (a) look technically better (b) look artistically better and (c) are different. Comparing High Ground to Power House is no contest. Two Sword, as much as I dislike it, is a lot better than Construct or Blackout. That said I think Epitat and Cold Storage with the new engine would look awesome (texture filtering ftw!)

Anyhow, the big feel change is gameplay. This isn't Halo 3. New maps designed around the new gameplay feel completely different. Covy Slayer or Team Crazy Hill don't feel or play like Halo 3. It really is a new experience in the Haloverse. So while you don't have flipping gravity (Prey), destruction (Red Faction, Bad Company), or massive multiplayer and the universe it still the same the game feels like a completely different product. As for "same" feeling, the graphics are a lot better. Not perfect, but much better. The biggest issue now is aliasing and LOD. The motion blur grows on you and texturing is better than most games and general lighting and shadows are good. Jaggies and LOD are the draw back. It is a big jump over Halo 3. AO looks nice, water is excellent, lighting is a notch better, shadows aren't crap anymore, particles are excellent.

Reach didn't turn into Serious Sam over night but it definitely is different. It is gonna look the "same" because it has 10M consumer who want a Halo game.

I guess your right but when I look at the beta vids they just look the same just as if someone used a Halo 3 map editor to make it. Also, what about enemy variety will we be fighting the same enemies...I would like a see something new.

I suggest looking at a Reach video and right after a Halo3 video. The differences are noticeable enough even on youtube to realize the change even if you're unaware of it (so to say, blind test). The lack of character model detail, SSAO and motion blur, the differences in lighting and shadow quality are all very evident even in compressed videos, I can only imagine how much more obvious it has to be on one's own TV.

Reach is undoubtedly far better looking then Halo3 even in its beta form and unfinished MP maps, there can be no denial of that.

I suggest looking at a Reach video and right after a Halo3 video. The differences are noticeable enough even on youtube to realize the change even if you're unaware of it (so to say, blind test). The lack of character model detail, SSAO and motion blur, the differences in lighting and shadow quality are all very evident even in compressed videos, I can only imagine how much more obvious it has to be on one's own TV.

Reach is undoubtedly far better looking then Halo3 even in its beta form and unfinished MP maps, there can be no denial of that.

Yes. I played a little ODST a couple days ago, and even just from watching tons of Reach videos, the major differences really stood out to me (particularly for example, the AR model).

Oh yeah, the weapons are especially night and day. After the DMR, the old BR model almost looked like a previous gen model.

I was wondering about the impostor stuff too - couldn't detect it anywhere. Either it's not in the beta, or working well enough to be invisible :)

Dude, I was about to post those.:LOL::LOL:

Yeah, Overlook looks absolutely amazing.

It looks waaay better than the other maps, maybe it is because it is a campaign map.

As for the spoilers......oh wow.:D

I thought they were all supposed to be campaign maps...am I wrong?

I was wondering about the impostor stuff too - couldn't detect it anywhere. Either it's not in the beta, or working well enough to be invisible :)

i'm pretty sure in powerhouse you can see that wierd alpha to coverage effect on far away objects halo3 had.
it is more subtle though.

i'm not a tech oriented guy so please apologize me if i'm saying stupid things :p

Yeah, there's a stippling/dithering that occurs at a certain distance. It's a rather simple LOD technique and they've had it since Halo 2... The impostor thing must be something else or they're just BS'ing with PR talk.

Back