Halo 3 Trailer @ E3: Confirmed

I can see the original announcement trailer being inengine as the final game had some awesome looking effects and quality in most of its cutscenes. I've replayed it recently and the game still looks and plays great.

I thought the E3 single player trailer was actually being played by Bungie at one point and videos on the net had the actions play out differently? It didnt look like a tarted up version really.

rabidrabbit said:
A direct quote from Bungie, from http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/4441/Halo-2-New-Screens-E3-Demo-Info/
I remember all the Halo 2 trailers from the very first where he was seen onboard some spaceship and exiting it in space and somesuch, was always touted to be in-engine.
So I'm not stretching anything.

Well, they were in-engine, that does not mean real time. Just like the heavenly sword cinematic last year, which was also in engine but nor real time but was sped up from 5fps...

zed said:
thats how i remeber it also, thats why i was most disappointed with the game, cause my expectations were built up.
i believe youve gotta judge based on past results + whilst halo2 was a good game, it didnt achieve graphically what was expected, whos to say halo3 wont be the same nased on bungies track record.

Or who is to say that it will not remind Halo1, with its poor E3 showing prior to the launch, just to strike back as one of the best games ever, even graphicaly there are not many games that match it even later at the xbox life cycle.

[shitstirring mode engaged]i guess u could say we know what killzone2 is aiming for as well :) [/shitstirring mode engaged]i im certainly not condoning what they done though

Well, there is not doubt what so ever what we have seen from Halo3 is in engine and demonstrated real time ala MGS, while for the KZ2 there is no doubt it was prerendered...

Well, there's the old debate whether in-engine can be called realtime.
I quess the definition just changes accordingly, depending on point of view.
IMO, the Halo 2 first trailer was realtime based on what the developer had told.

Though they did come very, very close in the E3 2003 build, but they had to pull out the self-shadowing to get it to run acceptably.

Self shadowing was in the E3 2003 build....

whos to say halo3 wont be the same based on bungies track record.

well... maybe the fact that bungie realized that they shouldn't overshoot? They've already been through this once... shame on them if they repeat a mistake that they realized.

And in this case, the track record is even because the graphics improved a lot between E3 2001 and Launch for Halo:CE. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we can already make a comparison between Halo 2 and Halo 3.

Halo 2:
  • One year before, they showed of a exclusive demo for E3 (which basically fucked up development if you have the LE of Halo 2)

Halo 3:
  • One year before, they show a 2 minuet announcement trailer which doesnt show much

I myself believe that Bungie has learned their lesson, and if you look at the making of trailer, they're covering their ass like hell 'this is what we're shooting for', 'this is what Halo 3 will be like next year' blah blah. I reckon there will actually be a improvement from now to next year (why not?).

mckmas8808 said:
Seriously Scooby Halo 3 looks heads and shoulders better than that Halo2 screen. I still can't believe that you think we are in dimishing returns arena next-gen.:cry:

Of course it does!! Man take a little more time to fully understand my posts. Although I believe we are experiencing the natural effect of diminishing returns with every generation, i do not think it's signifigant this generation as we are seeing huge jumps in image quality. In other words, maybe they're diminished a little, but we're still getting some kick ass returns.

scooby_dooby said:
Of course it does!! Man take a little more time to fully understand my posts. Although I believe we are experiencing the natural effect of diminishing returns with every generation, i do not think it's signifigant this generation as we are seeing huge jumps in image quality. In other words, maybe they're diminished a little, but we're still getting some kick ass returns.

Yeah I typed that before I read your other post in another thread stating the samething.

zed said:
btw scobby why were u all over killzone2, yet when halo/gears of war do similar misrepresentations u find it aceptable. is it anything to do with the platforms they appear on perhaps, on seconds thoughts dont answer that :D
Gears of War & Halo 3 = realtime cinematic trailers.

Killzone 2 = offline CG renders designed to FAKE the look of an actual game.

Gee...not much of a difference there!

Maybe you should ask yourself why I'm not 'all over' MGS4 if I'm so obviously biased towards a given platform. Give it a rest, your crackpot theories are weak.

rabidrabbit said:
A direct quote from Bungie, from http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/4441/Halo-2-New-Screens-E3-Demo-Info/
I remember all the Halo 2 trailers from the very first where he was seen onboard some spaceship and exiting it in space and somesuch, was always touted to be in-engine.
So I'm not stretching anything.
And these are the screens they posted on May 9 the same day as that article:
1052463582.jpg

1052463616.jpg

Looks pretty close to me.

It seems like they lowered the texture resolution of the MC, and that's understandable. Closed off demo -> not many things to take up memory, so increase the resolution. Game -> everything's got to fit! and I suppose that was a good reason for streaming the textures so aggressively; I heard they were even using 512x512 textures for faces.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen054.jpg
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen050.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alstrong said:
It seems like they lowered the texture resolution of the MC, and that's understandable. Closed off demo -> not many things to take up memory, so increase the resolution. Game -> everything's got to fit! and I suppose that was a good reason for streaming the textures so aggressively; I heard they were even using 512x512 textures for faces.

http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen054.jpg
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/562116_20041105_screen050.jpg

Ya the lighting and textures are definately alot nicer in the E3 demo.

scooby_dooby said:
Gears of War & Halo 3 = realtime cinematic trailers.

Killzone 2 = offline CG renders designed to FAKE the look of an actual game.

Gee...not much of a difference there!

Maybe you should ask yourself why I'm not 'all over' MGS4 if I'm so obviously biased towards a given platform. Give it a rest, your crackpot theories are weak.

Could someone please clear this up. I was under the impression that the Halo3 trailer was rendered using in-game assets. I am probably wrong though, but I suspect there are a lot of people wondering the same thing (or maybe not :) ).

Diesel2 said:
Could someone please clear this up. I was under the impression that the Halo3 trailer was rendered using in-game assets. I am probably wrong though, but I suspect there are a lot of people wondering the same thing (or maybe not :) ).

There's a bungie documentary on the making of this movie, available on XBLive or on xboxyde.com, it is all realtime, they state that repeatedly i.e. 'this is halo 3' they make comments like 'we pushed everything as far as we could' and speak about how the entire crater and everything rendered in the distance is all real geometry. Also, gamespot, among others, was treated to a realtime display of the demo with a controllable camera and controlable character.

So ya, it's not prerendered at all, it's a cinematic

Okay, I just read the July EGM (CoD 3 looks terrible BTW), and apparently the Halo 3 press demo included a "gameplay" portion where they controlled the MC and ran around shooting sand. That's alot more than MGS4 has shown, and I have no reason to believe that the trailer is not representative of the game, in fact I have more reason to believe the final game will look better.

Back