Guestimate of Value: Selling Old Parts for Upgrade

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
So I finally started doing a little gaming after nearly 18 months of no substantial gaming (TF2 and CoD4 were too much to resist) and have found while my PC runs ok, I wouldn't mind a nice performance improvement. I am short on cash, but I realized that I could do one of those fancy $500 upgrades would be great for my purposes and add a lot of life to my PC:

• 8800GT ($250, or AMD/ATI equivalent upon seeing benchies)
• 2GB DDR2 Memoryv($80)
• X2 4000+ or Core 2 Duo E4300 ($75; I could spend a little more here as games seem CPU sensative as of late)
• MB ($80)

But I don't have that sort of cash, so I would need to sell my old components and extras laying around.

How much do you guys think this is all worth:

• Western Digital SATA 74GB Raptor Harddisk Drive (10,000RPM with 16MB cache)
• eVGA 6800GT 256MB AGP with Zalman silent cooler
• 1GB (2x512MB) Corsair DDR400
• Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
• Intel P4 2.533GHz (OCs to a very stable 2.85GHz)
• Asus P4PE Motherboard
• DVD-/+RW

I also have an 80GB Maxtor (8MB Cache) HDD and a generic PSU laying around.

Could anyone offer an educated guess at what I could get / should ask for such hardware? Besides ebay, what other avenues should I persue to try to sell such?

Ps- Some HW purchasing advice wouldn't hurt either. It looks like CoD4, TF2, and Crysis are all CPU limited to a degree. The X2 4000+ seems a little slim; a 2.67GHz C2D or X2 6000+ seem to be much better performers for bang-for-buck but add $75-$100 to the price tag.

I would suggest just looking at ebay prices, and watching auctions about to end in a day or less. Here are a few auctions that might give you an idea once they end:
Mobo: http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-P4PE-SOCKE...ryZ80158QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
GPU: http://cgi.ebay.com/BFG-Nvidia-Gefo...ryZ40161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
RAM: http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

As for new HW, you seem to overvalue the RAM a bit... Remember there are mail-in rebates, and brands which are already that cheap without a mail-in rebate basically while not having any massive quality difference. So RAM should cost you more along the lines of $40-45, add $5 for shipping.

8800GT is also presumed to come down to $199 eventually, so while it might not be there by the time you buy, it might still be slightly less than $250 if you're lucky. And RV670 will certainly be less. As for the CPU/mobo, depends if you want to do overclocking or not, obviously.

Some of those prices seem a bit off... A 4200+ Brisbane is $75 from Newegg, not a 4000+ and I found highly rated ddr2 800 ram for $60...

If I was to buy your 6800gt i would be looking to pay about £30 max
how do I come to that figure? well a 7600gt is still on sale and roughly as fast (+10%), that retails for £60 so minus 50% for your card being second hand and you have £30
I would apply more or less the same logic for your other bits

For the parts, I would probably go:
$40 HDD
$50 Graphics card
$40 CPU
$20 RAM
$30 MB
$15 Sound
$15 Disc Drive

That is all personal though, and you might be able to get more for the HDD depending on who is buying.

I was refered to this thread by stevem. The GPU & RAM are of interest. I was hoping I could convince my wife to let me upgrade for Hanukka (however that's spelled... I'm not really jewish...). She just went and got me a cheap MP3 player so all this may be vain :cry: , but if I can convince her that it's a good deal she my allow me to buy them as an early Birthday gift... I'll get back to you in a day. I'd PM this info to you but I don't see that option in this forum (new as a subscriber, been reading for years).

Hey nbohr1more, just post 5 more times and you get to PM I believe :p We can talk :D As for Chanukah, it has a lot of spellings because it has a number of Hebrew letters that don't phonetically transcribe easily to English.

Right now I have 1 person who has said if I don't sell it by Christmas, he will have the cash then and buy it at a set amount. So I am still free to sell the stuff :) Right this very moment, though, I am having a fight with MySQL and am about to kill a couple servers in rage :(

I look forward to hearing from you.

I am interested in one of the HDDs, preferably the raptor but it depends on the price. I can spare £20-25 for the raptor, less for the Maxtor.

I guess I'll lurk around looking for something to post. The last time I tried to expouse my wisdom I was on Rage3d guessing that the X800 was designed to maintain ATI's investment in SM2.0 and prove that nVidia's SM3.0 is a marginal upgrade. Razor1 quickly shot down all my guestimates... much embarassment.

My wife shot the whole deal down. Though she hinted at tax season as a possibility... (probably lying). :cry:

What kind of man are you? You need to tell her to get back in the kitchen where she belongs and make you a pie.

Note: if you take my advice, the next time you wake up from sleep you can expect to no longer have any balls.

Thanks for keeping the thread alive folks :LOL:

Last week I had mentioned I was going to try to sell my PC stuff to upgrade and mentioned listing it in the work ads. He asked what I was selling and the target price, and when he heard my two scenarios (one with Raptor & Audigy, one without) he said he would take it--after Christmas. He is intent on picking it up, but you know how that stuff goes. He already has a nice Display, KB/MS/Speakers, and Printer and was just looking for a 2nd PC. Anyhow, $250 for:

• eVGA 6800GT 256MB AGP with Zalman silent cooler
• Intel P4 2.533GHz (OCs to a very stable 2.85GHz)
• Asus P4PE Motherboard
• 1GB (2x512MB) Corsair DDR400
• 80GB Maxtor w/ 8MB cache
• DVD+/-RW
• Case, PSU, Floppy Drive

Originally I was offering the Raptor and Audigy for $300 in with it, but he wasn't really interested in either so if he buys the above I will sell this individually on ebay or whatnot.

Still first come, first serve. But I don't think I will get as much value here at B3D as I would locally in the paper, work, or even ebay.

I do hate the idea of waiting until January though :( I got a free case on Black Friday and found 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 memory for $33 after rebate.

Back