gts 250 reviews

Dang, Tip-Ex, that should be a better than this Arctic Silver Thermal Paste.

I guess you've done your job well when nV does not want you to review their cards.

Doesn't look very good for NVIDIA if AMD will be able to maintain the new 4870 price levels.
I guess it's time to retire the G92.

Anyone here got the original Anandtech's conclusion of GTS 250? According to Xtremesystem's forums the review was pulled and then released again with a more positive tone.

Doesn't look very good for NVIDIA if AMD will be able to maintain the new 4870 price levels.
I guess it's time to retire the G92.

doesn't matter what happens really right now, profits will remain flat till 3rd quarter of this year, no features, no massive performance gains, sales are going to be stagnent, just really no reason to buy a card, unless someone really needs it, and thats just average sales which are down in the pits.

Last edited by a moderator:
DX 11 , dx 11 cards and windows 7 will most likely jump start sales

in Q4 yes. we have quite a few months to go before that and I can't see nV launch their GT200 refresh in June and their DX11 parts in september.

in Q4 yes. we have quite a few months to go before that and I can't see nV launch their GT200 refresh in June and their DX11 parts in september.
The "GT200 refresh" parts, whichever they choose to launch, should last for quite a while after the launch of GT300. NVidia needs higher-performance, higher-margin GPUs to fit in below GT300. GT3xx GPUs will prolly take another 6 months to entirely replace GT2xx GPUs.

We're still waiting for GT2xx GPUs to replace G9x, 10 months after GT200 appeared...

Jawed

Exactly what NVidia wanted ...

... except the guy had the sense to ask first.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17983122

I've just noticed that Apple has released an
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 for the Mac Pro. Now is my question, is it really worth replacing my 8800GT with the GT 120 when playing games? And is the GT 120 actually a Geforce 9 series, or a new kind of series? (the new product names of NVidia are confusing).

I can also choose the ATI Radeon HD 4870. Is that one any good?
Epic, isn't it?

Jawed

And what's going to happen in 3rd quarter? -)
You still need to stay afloat even untill 3rd quarter anyway. NV needs new GPUs, they can't use G92 (which wasn't that good against RV770 anyway) forever.

well even with the transition to 40nm in the 2nd quarter for current chips in the midrange and low end, that won't boost up sales, 3rd quarter we will see next gen chips that will help sales.

It just seems that NVIDIA PR/Marketing failed in this instance. If they simply told reviewers up front that they were trying to bring higher end technology from prior generations to lower end cards of today, at a much lower price point, with much lower power consumption, and with more memory config options (and all the other goodies available like CUDA, PhysX, SLI, etc)...... and if they actually bothered to ask all the reviewers if they were interested in reviewing it (instead of just dictating who gets a card and who doesn't), then there would not have been such a big backlash about the rebranding thing.

Sometimes it pays to simply be honest with the reviewing community and the public about why you rebranded. Just say the obvious: we wanted higher performance and lower power consumption at the lower end price points, without needing to spend extra time/money/resources on a different design that may end up substantially increasing time to market required for a higher performance card at these price points.

Thats a new card for nV, they never marketed a 1 gb version of the 9800, of course thier partners did.

Thats a new card for nV, they never marketed a 1 gb version of the 9800, of course thier partners did.

Nvidia has been selling 9800GTX 1 GB bundles with G92/G92b + 1GB GDDR3 1.0ns to board partners for a while.

never been marketed as such, partners wanted it, nV went with them. all marketing was done on partners behalf. There was no official 1 gb 9800+

They did that in thier sildes,

http://www.elitebastards.com/hanners/nvidia/gts-250/gts250-02.jpg

Obviously Kyle didn't like the slides, nV was pretty straight forward what this card was.

I dunno. Maybe I attended a different press briefing. But Nvidia emphasized over and over again that the GTS 250 was a 9800GTX with a new PCB.

Of course there could have been an earlier presentation I wasn't aware of. But honestly. The one I saw. ((which had about 15 other press present from various websites. Did not seem even remotely misleading. I have yet to see a single website not able to say "This is a G92 rebrand". Basically all of them say it.

Back