Gran Turismo 6

It's not trivial. But it's not the massive time consumer that creating a new game from scratch would be. They'd have to write a new engine, but with performance to spare they can easily port over the game without having to worry too much about optimisation. The SPU work can be forgotten and just leave the GPU to do all that. They can take the same assets, run them at 1080p60 with high IQ and a few fancy shaders and maybe a lighting upgrade (which wouldn't need much as it's very high quality now).

I'm not talking about a flagship, AAA, showcase title here - just a port for PS4 owners who are missing out on GT6 because they were early adopters of Sony's new toy and are being left out of one of the key PS games. There's no need for them to wait too long for GT goodness on their console.

I can't see PD releasing anything but the next GT on PS4. They showed Concept GT or whatever it was called on the PS3, which used GT4 assets etc. and it never got released. And while I would have loved to see it released, I'm sure it would have resulted in a great deal of criticism from much of the media and fans of rival systems. All if which would not have sent out a good message to less hardcore gamers looking for a system to buy into. "Is this all Sony can come up with, x looks much better" type comments would have been inevitable.
So while I think GT6 on PS4 would be great for early adopters, we won't see it as it could devalue the brand. Although that's arguably already happening due to DPs failure to address GTs perennial issues; AI, collision physics, etc.

The BMW M4 was just unlocked in the game (though you can't see it's interior yet, because the car hasn't been released to the public yet officially). You can do an online seasonal in that car for free, and if you get bronze or silver (not sure, I won silver) you get the car into your garage. :)

Looks like the game can auto-update at startup for new cars and such, so that should solve that issue (that should have been solved in GT5 already).

Nice theory, but has GT ever been ready at the launch of a console? And from my memory they always launch 2 GT per generation.

And with their pace, they probably should have started like 12 years ago for the PS4 version to have it ready by now :p

Grand Turismo series have never been used to launch previous PlayStation consoles like you said.

Keep in mind that GT3 was very arcadey ish.. while GT2 and GT4 delivered new tech and content.

Plus there was despite the years, a lot of pressure for online play as opposed to previous gens and unfortunately despite Polyphony Digital's mastery of PS3 we did not get an Omega Boost or Motor Toon sequel or erm that other game... YT? :)

Microsoft's gamble with Forza is curious...they used it as they did but that is a different game honestly.

Finally got this, this is an impressive game.. ohh yes.

They clearly improved loading times and the menus, still Polyphony but easier and faster to navigate.

After doing some races in the slow cars i went to the arcade section and pulled a 908 out on Nurnburg and got my ass handed to me.. whoa :)

And i recommend the Tron soundtrack as BGM for the menus, it's amazing how good it works :)

Grand Turismo series have never been used to launch previous PlayStation consoles like you said.

Keep in mind that GT3 was very arcadey ish.. while GT2 and GT4 delivered new tech and content.

Plus there was despite the years, a lot of pressure for online play as opposed to previous gens and unfortunately despite Polyphony Digital's mastery of PS3 we did not get an Omega Boost or Motor Toon sequel or erm that other game... YT? :)

Microsoft's gamble with Forza is curious...they used it as they did but that is a different game honestly.

I d love another omega boost! But what is this other game you speak of?

That cartoon type racing game they did make two while on PS1...before Gran Turismo 1.

The other is Tourist Trophy, last game they made in PS2.

I think ppl take online game development for granted as in all the extra time it actually adds to game development...on top of A.I., physics, resolution, etc...adaptive tesselation ..PS3 hardware does not list that.

But also dlc content, patches...all while pushing hardware. PS4 is best served with a GT7 that is done when its ready.

Ppl forget that launch and first year games will always lack a lot of refinement...its really sad we never got proper...true Ridge Racer games on PS3 like we did in PS1 and 2.

I never saw the moon mission coming and it makes perfect sense since its a way to show off physics and shadow and other stuff that the competition will surely imitate.

Also imho these current gen could have launched in 2014 with better hardware but it does not matter really.

I really like that you can take some shortcuts in the game, unlocking licinces and such with just a small number of stars, so that's partly what I've been doing. I'm trying to decide now what car I should get for the final race of iA. As the Turbo upgrade for the GT-R NISMO from the preorder is cheap, I think I'll try with that first.

Races at higher levels have been really cool so far. AI giving me a good run for my money at the higher levels (with everything as sim as possible, driving with a DF pro)

Ok, power-wise this seems good enough, but the gearing needs changing so equip customiseable transmission and make sure to go for racing softs. That should bring some balance back I think. Also feel like toning down the FFB now, this is getting hard work!

Crap, hard tires required. Also, the music during this championship is really dramatic, and a nice throwback to older GT intro/outro, like the GT5 'ending' movie.

Ha, I wasn't even close, lol. Was thinking the. C9 would be a nice car, and it seems the biggest contender, together with the 88C and R92C

Yeah, the last iA championship is insane unless you get one of the Group-C cars, but they're all around 2 million.

I ended up buying the 787B. Almost all golds on first try, except the last race which I crashed multiple times. The computer is beating me on long straights with the Toyota 88C, so the 787B is probably not the best of the bunch. I like the 787B handling, still I have no money left to try another group-c car, so it's not like I can compare :LOL:

Yeah, I have almost enough money, and do have enough if I sell the Citroen GT (which I am not necessarily against, man that thing is ugly). So I want to pick my car wisely. 787B is a very cool car though, for sure. From what I've seen, the 88C and 92C seem to be the main competition, so if they turn out driveable, then probably the best choice. But if you only lost because you crashed multiple times, then the 787B may not be so bad after all - for some of the tracks the width of the car is definitely a factor of significance.

The computer is beating me on long straights with the Toyota 88C, so the 787B is probably not the best of the bunch.

Go for the mercedes c-11 if its in the game (big fan of the f1 challenge/r-factor prototypce-c mod by virtua-LM so i know the cars although I drive the Jaguar xjr-12 for patriotic reasons)
or try the Nissan R90C, or Peugeot 905 or toyota tso10

Yeah, the last iA championship is insane unless you get one of the Group-C cars, but they're all around 2 million.

I ended up buying the 787B. Almost all golds on first try, except the last race which I crashed multiple times. The computer is beating me on long straights with the Toyota 88C, so the 787B is probably not the best of the bunch. I like the 787B handling, still I have no money left to try another group-c car, so it's not like I can compare :LOL:

The trick to winning is to keep the car on the track :)
It's only when Gran Turismo stops being polite and starts getting real it shows you it's true face, and racings true face as well. The many many times i tried to win a Challenge on "Nordschleife" hunting down a Mclaren and failed because of small mistakes. It's fun to read the GTPlanet forums when Polyphony lets out one of the few really hard challenges, that can't be fixed by cheating with a overpowered or under PP'd car.

I am slowly working my way up through the License tests, they seem easier or i just had a lot of practice, but i know that if i try to cut the trip to short i might need the cash or the practice as i get used to the new driving mechanics.

Yeah, I barely managed to beat that McLaren at the first try. That GT-R NISMO 15th ed wasn't quite fast enough, but I also made a fair few mistakes (no huge ones though) but drove fast enough to get the race to last 3 laps, just got close enough to stay in its draft, which was just enough to keep up but not to get closer, and then managed to overtake it in the third last turn. Pretty cool.

I think I'll copy my game to the cloud and second PS3 before I make my purchase, so that if I regret it, I can try another car. :D

I think in one interview Yamauchi said that gt6 is on PS3 because they always released 2 Gran turismo for each generation of Playstation.

GT 1 & 2 on PS1
GT 3 & 4 on PS2
GT 5 & 6 on PS3

I think there is no need to search for another explanation, this one makes perfectly sense. Even if I quite like the: PS4 doesn't need GT at launch theory.

Ha! I could add a turbo! I'm thinking the normally aspirated race cars can probably ALL get a turbo, the Pescarolo C60 Hybride and the Peugeot 905B are possible hidden gems because of that.

I got the last race super easy (finished +30 secs despite one big accident) When I was doing the championship I set the downforce at max. In GT5 it was a no-brainer to crank the downforce, but GT6 seems to punish more with drag.

Anyway now with turbo, milder downforce, and oil change, it's now 702PP (stock was 684pp) and the long straight at the end of nordschliffe tops at 380km/h instead of 345km/h. It's a very big difference.

High. I always use high or none at all. It's the RPM range where 90% of the race will be. But I never understood what situations would make mid and low more useful, maybe drifting and rallye?

Tracks with a lot of turns basically. London would be a good example. At very high power however and particularly when the game forces Hard tires, grip is already too low for the power of your car anyway, and in those situations high powered cars will rarely benefit from anything but high rpm turbo. In slower cars the difference becomes more obvious.

Back