Gran Turismo 6

nqrt.jpg

Anyone know if this is an actual track in the game or this taken from photomode? Beautiful scenery of the Matterhorn (Mountain in the Swiss Alps and close to the Italian border - I usually go skiing there!).

i took that pic, Its a track, and a very beautiful one too :)

Random thoughts in no particular order...

New lighting is great, I really like the higher dynamic range, nurburgring is fun at dusk.

The menu is actually usable, for once.

No more stupid used-car roulette.

Power upgrades and weight reduction mods are finally revertible.

Whoever had the idea of adding a shifter to a 125cc Kart is completely insane.

Moon missions are fun! I wish there were more than 3. They pay 30k each so it's worth doing them as soon as they appear.

Physics feel much better. Little details like I flipped over very often and I deserved it, in GT5 the tires lose so much grip in extreme angles it could almost never flip over, they would turn instantly into butter, and wouldn't recover until the car it practically stopped. Maybe I remember it wrong.

Outside of the cars given as winning prizes, the new Stingray '14 has been my most used car, it cost only 50k so it can be bought very early where it counts. It's superb for the price and usable for anything between 500pp and 650pp limit races (power upgrades bring it up to 630).

I did mostly only the races required to unlock the licenses up to International-B which starts paying reasonably well, grind a little money... then I had more than enough to go back to finish off all the events I skipped. The ones that require to buy a specific car just for that event.

Finally got back my favorite car, the RUF RGT :smile:

Still haven't bought the wheel I wanted, the t500rs was out of stock forever, and now there's no deal anywhere :mad:

The Le Mans overtaking mission in the classic race cars is very nice.

As for wheels, my old Driving Force Pro is holding up nicely, thankfully.

IB Missions now all done ... really nice, loved the F40 one and the Muira one was nice as well, though the chasing Lambo could be a bit aggresive at times. Did help me to push certain corners harder though! A green Elise Race Car as a bonus. Nice, always liked that car!

Random thoughts in no particular order...

New lighting is great, I really like the higher dynamic range, nurburgring is fun at dusk.

The menu is actually usable, for once.

No more stupid used-car roulette.

Power upgrades and weight reduction mods are finally revertible.

Whoever had the idea of adding a shifter to a 125cc Kart is completely insane.

Moon missions are fun! I wish there were more than 3. They pay 30k each so it's worth doing them as soon as they appear.

Physics feel much better. Little details like I flipped over very often and I deserved it, in GT5 the tires lose so much grip in extreme angles it could almost never flip over, they would turn instantly into butter, and wouldn't recover until the car it practically stopped. Maybe I remember it wrong.

Outside of the cars given as winning prizes, the new Stingray '14 has been my most used car, it cost only 50k so it can be bought very early where it counts. It's superb for the price and usable for anything between 500pp and 650pp limit races (power upgrades bring it up to 630).

I did mostly only the races required to unlock the licenses up to International-B which starts paying reasonably well, grind a little money... then I had more than enough to go back to finish off all the events I skipped. The ones that require to buy a specific car just for that event.

Finally got back my favorite car, the RUF RGT :smile:

Still haven't bought the wheel I wanted, the t500rs was out of stock forever, and now there's no deal anywhere :mad:
The RUF... I got crazy over it on a VIP rivals challenge. The Bathurst track shown in a video that Arwin posted is where I am using it in that challenge, although the fast corner after the longer straight of the circuit usually throws me off the track 'cos I always try to enter it at high speed.

I've read Eurogamers review and it is very positive overall, I also skimmed through other reviews. The scores are okay in general, not the GT scores I expected taking into account the past though, when it was such a respected franchise, and it was A-mazing to see that running on a PS1 and especially a PS2. True masterpieces back then.

I think that Gran Turismo needs the PS4 because the PS3 is over its limit with this game especially taking into account Yamauchi's ambitions.

Last edited by a moderator:
So did 20 stars to open up the All Stars Championship, which was pretty intense. Used my GT-R Nismo pre-order bonus car here, as it was a breeze to drive (as opposed to the R8 which I coudln't control very well). Still pretty intense racing needed here, but the GT-R could outbrake anything by a good distance, so that made overtaking much easier. Still generally took me until the final lap to overtake the McLaren.

This race unlocked the next licence test for International A, so getting those to gold will be my next task probably (as it wins you another car) and then we'll see again. Plenty to do in this game. 39% now, with 9.7 hours of drive time, and clearly progress is slowing down so it will be a fair while yet before this thing is complete. But it is very nice to know that this thing can actually be completed by a normal human being for once again (GT5 had insane endurance races).

The more I'm reading this topic, the more I'm thinking this should have been released on PS4. Yesterday. :p I wan't to play it too! :mad:

The more I'm reading this topic, the more I'm thinking this should have been released on PS4. Yesterday. :p I wan't to play it too! :mad:

Yeah I think this is pretty redundant release other than generating money for Sony. I hope it doesn't take years to have something other than a small demo on PS4. Seeing how the competition has their big racing game out at launch and Sony releases this to the old console just reeks of poor execution imo. I'm sure it's a great game, but I don't see it really offering that much on top of what GT5 has already provided. They better put something out next year.

I think one of the reasons they released GT6 on ps3 is that ps4 release would make the demand for ps4 on launch even higher. But wouldn't generate more sales, because we know it's out of stock even now without GT. Some months later the demand will be covered, ps4 sales normalise. When GT will come some time later it will make ps4 sales increase much again.

I think one of the reasons they released GT6 on ps3 is that ps4 release would make the demand for ps4 on launch even higher. But wouldn't generate more sales, because we know it's out of stock even now without GT. Some months later the demand will be covered, ps4 sales normalise. When GT will come some time later it will make ps4 sales increase much again.

Nice theory, but has GT ever been ready at the launch of a console? And from my memory they always launch 2 GT per generation.

And with their pace, they probably should have started like 12 years ago for the PS4 version to have it ready by now :p

I think you are on to something, but i don't agree completely.

First of all GT6 has a big potential user base, it's good business to sell another GT game on the PS3.
On the other hand GT7 needs a user base as well, and it's not there yet when it is, hopefully GT7 will be ready.

And yes at that point it should be a boost for PS4 sales. But as we all know you need more than one game to sell a console, you need a steady flow of great titles, in that regard, GT6 is just another brick in the wall..

But Sony did make sure there was a very early GT demo for the PS3, it's the first thing i downloaded and played on my PS3, they had something to prove back then.

The PS3 version isn't even finished, literally. B-Spec and the Course Maker are still to be released. It doesn't give much hope for an early PS4 release unless they have parallel teams working on this.

GT6 is 1080p in menus, right? So 'all' that's needed for a PS4 version is a renderer*. The rest of the game is there (shy of a port). And if they've been working on a PS4 engine over the past year(s), which we hope they have, then there's a small chance of a GT game on PS4 without having to wait three+ years.

* That is, create UI and gameplay renderers on x86 Liverpool. So a bit of work, but all the design and assets are ready to go for a GT7 Prologue.

I would buy a PS4 port no question, even if they just cleaned up the aliasing and made other minor improvements. If it supported every wheel that the PS3 version supports, then I'm sure it will sell fairly well.

GT6 is 1080p in menus, right? So 'all' that's needed for a PS4 version is a renderer*. The rest of the game is there (shy of a port). And if they've been working on a PS4 engine over the past year(s), which we hope they have, then there's a small chance of a GT game on PS4 without having to wait three+ years.

* That is, create UI and gameplay renderers on x86 Liverpool. So a bit of work, but all the design and assets are ready to go for a GT7 Prologue.

Don't they have to optimize all the SPU work for the GPGPU and CPU duo ? It should be non-trivial.

Oh I did actually believe Kaz that we might see somethinglate 2014, early 2015. But not any sooner ...

But like I said, the rest of the game is NOT yet there, not even on PS3. B-spec, course creator, better sound are all three promised to still be coming.

Oh I did actually believe Kaz that we might see somethinglate 2014, early 2015. But not any sooner ...

But like I said, the rest of the game is NOT yet there, not even on PS3. B-spec, course creator, better sound are all three promised to still be coming.

Actually, I expect the remaining GT6 modules to be available in late 2014. PS4 late 2015 earliest.

Back