Gran Turismo 6

Did some digging. According to here:

Gran Turismo 6 adds seven new tracks, fully simulated star system
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-seven-new-tracks-fully-simulated-star-system

The new information also revealed the 1197 cars that will be included in Gran Turismo 6 come its release in December, and that standard models - ones ported over from earlier versions of the game with no modelled cockpit and lower polygon counts - and premium ones would no longer be segregated. They will now be available from any relevant dealership within the game.

No outsider knows how many premium cars will be in the game.

The same as last time +117 (or something like that).

The standard models will now be tesselated if I understand it correctly (not certain - could also be that part of the +117 are tesselated reworkings of standard models), so that should make a pretty big difference to their quality. But my guess, especially not segregating them, would be that they have worked out a tesselation algorithm for the standard models - there was a discussion earlier where they indicated that their models were already very clean, which made them very suitable for tesselation or something like that.

Someone on GAF produced a chart showing what tracks support weather change and day-night, and it seems to be close to 70%, so that in particular is great news to me. I also hear that Apricot Hill is coming back, which used to be one of my favorites.

Who in the right mind won't want this?

This is releasing at such a wrong time. makes me wanna delay my PS4 purchase, really, this and LOU DLC. Cos, I just won't want to go back to PS3 once I get my ps4's 1080p games. New shiny is too irresistable. Maybe , I should delay my purchase....I should NOT miss out on Gt6 and LOU DLC.

Well, GT5 is 1280x1080p in game (with some tearing in city tracks - played London yesterday and there's still quite a bit), and 1920x1080p in menus. GT6 is rumored to be 1440x1080p, but to be honest I think they'd better stay at 1280x1080p unless they managed to improve the framerate quite a bit from the GT6 Academy demo.

The extra resolution still really stands out on a 1080p TV though!

I'll still play this, on my PS3 in the study with the steering wheel, and have the PS4 in the living room for the new games ... ;) Have your cake and eat it I believe it's called. ;)

Who in the right mind won't want this?

The people models are very good, but what's with the damned lens flare again?! Grrrr.

Um, other than that, what exactly is this showing. I thought it was GT6 underneath, real life in the corner or something, but it's just GT6. So what's the comparison with real life that they're making?

The people models are very good, but what's with the damned lens flare again?! Grrrr.

Um, other than that, what exactly is this showing. I thought it was GT6 underneath, real life in the corner or something, but it's just GT6. So what's the comparison with real life that they're making?

I assumed it was the GPS data logger thing. The guys in the corner are in the real car and the images you see are the GT6 renderings of the guy lapping the race track synced with the incar footage?

Oh. Why didn't they show the actual driving alongside the game footage to show how closely it matches? I certainly can't tell from a couple of head shots where the driver is streering and how accurately the game matches the real-world driving. Is there a GPS upload function for one's own driving? How does GPS contribute to the game if there aren't city tracks? Is it only for people like Arwin who go on track days?

Oh. Why didn't they show the actual driving alongside the game footage to show how closely it matches? I certainly can't tell from a couple of head shots where the driver is streering and how accurately the game matches the real-world driving. Is there a GPS upload function for one's own driving? How does GPS contribute to the game if there aren't city tracks? Is it only for people like Arwin who go on track days?

IIRC, the GPS function lets u create ur own custom track by just driving around in real life. Its not availabel on launch, will be added later.

I watched the youtube vid on 480p only, but I thought the top right corenr was real car footage and bottom one from gt6.

Does it create a road in a random setting for you, like ModNation Racers? I don't see how a daily commute can be mapped to a race-track.
I watched the youtube vid on 480p only, but I thought the top right corenr was real car footage and bottom one from gt6.
That's what I thought at first as it makes the most sense, but they're both GT6 footage, making it rather pointless.

Ah, I was confused about what I was looking at also. So here's how I think this will work.

Right now, in GT5, you have a course generator. With this you can choose a 'theme' and then say how many sections you want, and it generates a basic layout for you in the selected theme (which is basically a predifined environment, with hills etc). Then you can select for each section how 'bendy' you want it to be, and how wide the track should be at that point. That's basically it, but it's already pretty decent.

Now what I imagine that the GPS bit does, is allow you to track a section that you drive, and use that to create the track layout, but still combined with the features above. On a very basic level, I would assume it would make a track layout that follows your GPS coordinates, and perhaps it can also alter the environment to add hills and such dynamically to match the elevation measured (though this tends to not be very reliable in my experience, but that of course depends partly on the quality of your GPS tracker).

Then in 'post processing' you can define sections, and then select the width, theme, etc. in retrospect.

This would be my first guess. They could refine it towards a more ModNation racer style affair of course, or some hybrid format, but this would be my first guess.

Does it create a road in a random setting for you, like ModNation Racers? I don't see how a daily commute can be mapped to a race-track.
That's what I thought at first as it makes the most sense, but they're both GT6 footage, making it rather pointless.

If thats the case then I think they are showing that the track is so correct. That these two guys drove on the real track and their gps data when mapped to a car gt6 makes for a perfect match on the virtual track. Maybe? Or the fact that the GPS data is correctly transferred by the game.

Must admit I haven't been following GT6 developments to closely. But i thought DP did a demo prototype of a feature where by they had done some extra mappings for a race track, and then allowed you to race the track in your own car and use a GPS logger to record your lap. You could then feed this logged lap into the special prototype version of GT5 and race against it or watch it back in replay mode.

I just assumed this was a video of this feature implemented in GT6, and assumed Willow Springs was a real life tracl track in the US. The video of guys in the in-car shot, is from a web cam of the track day, which was logged using the GPS logger. The GPS data was thenb fed into GT6, and replayed from 2 camera angles and recorded.

Then the three recordings were synced up and spliced into the youtube video.

If you look closesly, especially when the video is set to 720p, the car movement does match between the live video and the game playback, but as Shifty said, a forward facing camera would make much more sense.

This is assuming it isn't just generating a random track from driving around...

"We don't want to take too long on Gran Turismo 7," Kazunori told us. "Best-case scenario? Next year. In GT6 we really had to tune the software 100 per cent to maximise the PS3's architecture, but of course the PS4's hardware is much better, so I think the overall quality of the game across the board will be boosted when you come to play it".
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gran-turismo-7-is-coming-in-2014-2013-11-20

GT7 on ps4 next year???

Maybe I shouldn't pre order GT6...hmm.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they should look for doing a relatively simple port first. Who knows, a GT4 HD may well be good enough, especially if they can get the tesselation stuff they did for GT6 to work in their benefit for PS4. But typically, once Kaz gets something running on a new platform, he gets carried away with new possibilities. :)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gran-turismo-7-is-coming-in-2014-2013-11-20

GT7 on ps4 next year???

Maybe I shouldn't pre order GT6...hmm.....

The title of that article is amazing. How they go from the quote you posted to that is beyond me.

Article Title:
Gran Turismo 7 is coming in 2014

Actual Quote:
"We don't want to take too long on Gran Turismo 7," Kazunori told us. "Best-case scenario? Next year. In GT6 we really had to tune the software 100 per cent to maximise the PS3's architecture, but of course the PS4's hardware is much better, so I think the overall quality of the game across the board will be boosted when you come to play it".

Stuff like that really grinds my gears for some reason.

Back