Gran Turismo 6

I think particles are going to be the Lens Flare of this generation, we've seem masses of particles in a lot of demo's recently (a spin off from gpgpu)

Going by what we've seen so far, I thought Lens Flare was the Lens Flare of this coming generation..........

Going by what we've seen so far, I thought Lens Flare was the Lens Flare of this coming generation..........

lol, lens flare is 'previous gen' = heavily featured in that One other game..
Volumetric smoke is kind of next gen= featured in a current / last gen (PS3) game..

Seems like we are in the twilight zone now..:cry:

Ps: If anyones interested the gpu inside intel's latest cpu's has some fancy hardware for doing smoke and particles. grid 2 has advanced blending and smoke that is only available to haswell cpu's HD 5200 (Iris).

You're not really solving the problem. Adding DOF has value in a game, for some people at least even if you prefer not to have it. Eye tracking would allow for selective in-game blurring for the best of all worlds. Hence the desire by Rockster for technological progress, instead of just accepting flatly rendered image planes.

Blurring some parts of the image apparently makes some people happy. But there is no point in eye tracking blurring because you blur what you cannot see clearly anyway.

Blurring some parts of the image apparently makes some people happy. But there is no point in eye tracking blurring because you blur what you cannot see clearly anyway.
You're not making sense. Consider...I dunno, jungle scene. You're in the brush, first person. You stop and look at a leaf. It's in clear focus with the background behind blurred out. You then switch focus to an enemy coming towards, positioned right next to the leaf in your FOV. The blurring should shift to the leaf. This is something currently not done in games. Either you have everything in sharp focus, and you can see the enemy as clearly as you can see the leaf, or there's a forced blur and you cannot switch from one object to another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2NG1AQSeng

The amount of smoke is truly next-gen.
I don't know about next-gen, but I will say that GT players have been waiting a long time for smoke like this. It looks the same as GT5's smoke, only it's a lot thicker and it sticks around a lot longer (as tire smoke is wont to do).

As for the DOF argument, the TV isn't showing you what your eyes see, it's showing you what a camera sees. Your eyes don't have lens flare, either, did we have this argument back when they started using that, too?

Hell, they're pushing it even further these days with the whole "dirty lens" thing in games like BF4, an effect that only happens on a camera lens. But before that, there were plenty of games that would splatter the lens with dirt and blood. That doesn't happen to your eyes, either. And now you're complaining because it doesn't focus to your liking? Movies have been doing this for over a century, I never heard anybody complain about that. DOF is used for a reason, to focus the viewer's eyes on what they're supposed to be looking at. In a movie, it might be a character talking. In GT, it's a car driving.

As long as games are displayed as a series of 2D still images on an illuminated screen, there will never be any way to truly duplicate what the eye sees.

Your eye won't do that on a flat 2D plane? It will do it if there is real 3D depth. BTW, eyes don't 'blur' per se, cameras do that, eyes make a double vision due to us having two eyes.

@Shifty: mGS4 and other games do that depending on where you aim. But eye tracking(via kinect/eyetoy?) would be super sci-fi ! Me wants :cool:

Your eye won't do that on a flat 2D plane?
Sort of, now that I think about it. The "sharp" part of the human eye is surprisingly small.. what we see in our peripheral vision is extremely "low-resolution" compared to what we see straight ahead. Case in point, move your point of focus on this text about two or three inches to the left. You can't read it any more, can you? You can really only read text that you're staring straight at. And that's only a few degrees off center. We're able to recognize things in our peripheral vision because our brains fill in the gaps. That's why things like changing colors (i.e. a health bar that fades from green to red as you get hurt) work well in the corner of the screen, because it's something we can identify without having to look straight at it.

So, in effect, yes... anything that you're not actively focusing on is, for all intents and purposes, "blurry".

Your eyes are not a camera and YOU can decide where you want to focus. Which blurring makes impossible.
Yes they are, they do have lens which do focus on certain distance.
Eyes cannot focus right when scene is a picture on 2D plane, if we were shown a lightfield things would be different.

For normal displays games to have proper blurring, it would need image for each eye and proper tracking and blurring which takes account the size of pupil. (No more very wide filmic blurs if one wants it to look realistic.)
Your eyes don't have lens flare, either, did we have this argument back when they started using that, too?
It does have lens flare, but it's usually been called as glare.
http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/~ritschel/Papers/TemporalGlare.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not making sense. Consider...I dunno, jungle scene. You're in the brush, first person. You stop and look at a leaf. It's in clear focus with the background behind blurred out. You then switch focus to an enemy coming towards, positioned right next to the leaf in your FOV. The blurring should shift to the leaf. This is something currently not done in games. Either you have everything in sharp focus, and you can see the enemy as clearly as you can see the leaf, or there's a forced blur and you cannot switch from one object to another.

In stereoscopic 3D games this would not be a problem. But for 2D displays, sure.

As for the DOF argument, the TV isn't showing you what your eyes see, it's showing you what a camera sees. Your eyes don't have lens flare, either, did we have this argument back when they started using that, too?

The TV is showing what the game chooses to display. Which has possibilities and limitations that filmed content does not.

Your eyes would have to focus at different depths, just like they do in "the real world".
They can't, both eyes still see a plane before them.
You cannot look thing close and will your focus to it as there is nothing close or far.

Your eyes change convergence on a 3D scene, which is what gives it the depth, but they remain focused at the exact same distance the entire time. That's one of the things that gives some people eye strain on 3D, their eyes continue to try to focus on things based on what your brain thinks the distance is. I haven't had that problem myself, although I usually try to avoid any long stretches of 3D gaming (a few hours at a time).

Skyrim ENB + DoF implementations achieve this very well. The transitions and focal radii are all adjustable.

Uncharted did something a little like this by changing DoF settings depending on your gun's hit detection while aiming a gun.

So did MGS4 and many other games too. But puttingt hat on eye tracking ----Uber Cool :cool:

Exactly. Always wanted to see that too. Would be that extra step for VR games. Temporal antialiasing (motion-blur) could also be ajusted to eye velocity a bit.

Well I'm not sure I'm convinced its really necessary in a 3D display environment.

Back