Gotomypc.com

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
I'm considering setting up a remote access link between my laptop and my home desktop. From what I've read, Gotomypc.com offers a pretty solid service. Does anyone use it? I'm not looking for anything that advanced and from what I've read in remote access comparisons, gotomypc offers a lot and is pretty acclaimed. What I'm most interested in, is the ability to grab files from my PC from my laptop at my office. Does anyone have any pros and cons of the service?

Will VNC do what you want? I have no idea if it allows you to grab files directly though.

Setting up a vpn in a corporate newtork is the troubling part.
The usual solution is to use ssh. You can do vpn over a ssh tunnel (on port 80 if needed) but I think it's needless trouble.
You can grab files over ssh (or sftp protocol) : this is done pretty easily on linux (using the scp command for instance). sshfs is a great tool allowing to mount a remote filesystem using ssh/sftp.

Under windows you don't get the tools by default (ssh client and server) but you can install them : openssh server, and Dokan sshfs. Win SCP is an useful tool as well and Filezilla can be used. Lastly I've installed the scp command and have it in my windows prompt ;)

Back