Got my 6970s today - Mixed bag so far...

The blower speeds are between 25-29% but I can hear the thing changing speed and that's the worst part. The card seems to be under 60C during this.

That sounds a lot. I've got an unlocked, maxed on the overdrive 6950 that idles at 35-40, goes up to 58 when it's processing the TV card and the memory speeds up, and runs games at high 60's and low 70's. The only thing that gets the temps into the 80's and 90's is Furmark.

The fan noise can be annoying, but it gets compounded by the case and where it's sited. My case is under my desk, and depending where I sit or turn my head, the noise can become much more apparent, because the desk is acting as some kind of sound reflector. I'm sure anyone who has their case up at ear level on their desk hears it differently again.

almighty: did you miss my question about this?
Why is Driver sweeper a big no no for ATI?

It because ATI have a habbit of using old display drivers with current ones and driver sweeper gets confused and deletes some things it shouldn't. Also ATI drivers need certain registry files from the previous drivers to start the install process and driver sweeper some times can delete these as well.

Every time you see someone with a problem about a failed install or a problem 80% of the time they've used driver sweeper to remove the old drivers.

There was a massive thread about it on my other forum but I can't find it :rolleyes:

And yes I suppose my water blocks could have something to do with my temps, And you can get upto 85+c on Furmark :oops:

I only hit 41-42c :oops:

Untitled-4.jpg

Anyway, Time to short stroke my HDD's and re-format.

Regarding Driver Sweeper:

If you're using Driver Sweeper to clean up drivers on Windows 7, be aware that Driver Sweeper may prevent you from installing service packs. Driver Sweeper wipes Windows 7's built-in display drivers, which are considered as "system files". Service pack 1 and upcoming service packs run integrity check on system files, and if it detects any missing files – it won't let you install and display the following error message: "Service Pack Installation Cannot Continue (one or more system components that service pack requires are missing)".

If you're already a victim of this issue, please consult x:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log to determine which files you need to restore in-order to install Service Pack 1 check out the update below.

We recommend that you avoid automatic driver cleaners. If you would like to clean up driver data, we suggest that you do it manually from the registry editor. There is no need to delete files. But in fact, we also have a recommendation for vendors: Please provide proper uninstallers with your drivers, so there won't be any need for driver cleaners.

Update: We received a reply from the author of Driver Sweeper: "Since version 2.6.0, I think I added some entries from the DriverStore because ATi stores some settings files there. However, a few days ago I heard from some people not being able to install SP1 after running Driver Sweeper. I investigated the problem and found out that the installer checks for missing content from several directories. This is also the reason I released version 2.8.5 as quickly as possible. The entries required for SP1 are removed from the database so they will not be cleaned anymore.

For the unlucky people, I created a topic at my forum to help to resolve these problems."

Read more: http://www.ngohq.com/news/19259-beware-of-driver-sweeper-on-windows-7-a.html#ixzz1EEUABsCK
Googling

driver sweeper Windows 7 SP1

gets you a lot of links.

When running dual displays my 6950 sits at 450/1250 and 800/1250. That would be the cause of 58-60C idle I think.

Some apps seem to make it think harder with Aero for some reason and that's when it kicks to 800. GPU load is 0-1%but it still goes to 800. A Java app I use seems to cause the clock change most frequently. Weird.

The fan noise can be annoying, but it gets compounded by the case and where it's sited. My case is under my desk, and depending where I sit or turn my head, the noise can become much more apparent, because the desk is acting as some kind of sound reflector. I'm sure anyone who has their case up at ear level on their desk hears it differently again.
Yup. My big case has tons of openings. It's not really enclosed at all when you consider that the entire front is basically a foam filtered grill, and there are two 140mm fan mounts on one side, and the top has 3 140mm mounts. The blower motor of the 6900 is the most apparent motor sound. My other fans all spin very slowly and are essentially inaudible.

The tower sits on the floor out in the open with nothing between me and it. Nothing to block or reflect the sound.

What I really need to do is drop the cash on a better cooler than I can stick a huge fan on and run it on 5v inaudibly. Better yet, just ignore it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
could the driver sweeper problem especially the bit about wiping windows built in display drives explain why i couldnt boot into xp with a ati card installed

Okay, so if I've used driver sweeper prior to 11.1.a and now I want to install 11.2 what do I need to do?

Okay, so if I've used driver sweeper prior to 11.1.a and now I want to install 11.2 what do I need to do?

Are you wondering if driver sweeper created a problem or do you know it did and now want to fix it?

I've used the old version that guru3d hosts, it didn't mess me up, it turns out, but I did do a check.

Here's, more or less, what I posted on another forum.

I recently felt compelled to check my system files due to reports of a version of driver sweeper removing files that would make service pack one for Windows 7 to be screwed.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=338016

Anyway, in case you too didn't know how to do this, open a command prompt with "run as administrator" and then paste/type in

sfc /scannow

Give it time to do its thing. It tells you if it didn't have to do anything.

Detailed results will be in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS as CBS.log.

Default permissions wouldn't let me open it so rather than muck with it I just copied it to another drive and then opened it.

sfc /scannow didn't run for me without setting it to "Run as administrator", it just popped up and disappeared.

Isn't AMDs drivers supposed to come with a default set of profiles, or are those hidden away separately somewhere on their site (or entirely non-existing, so you are forced to create your own from scratch...?)

I'm not sure when AMD added profile support to their drivers, if it was with the new CCC or before, but no drivers since the december release have had any profiles included with it that I have been able to tell anyway.

NVs drivers have had a big set of default profiles for years and years now. I hope AMD can reach that stage too soon, coz it can be quite convenient. :)

That's my case and I have 1x6950-flashed-to-6970 and 1x6970 in CFX
Right now I'm at 36 C on the upper (6970) and 33 C on the lower...I just topped out at 52 playing Just Cause 2 for about 5 minutes as a quick test. I use MSI's Afterburner to set a custom fan profile, but they're silent in 2D and I wear headphones for gaming, but I don't think they're terribly loud.

Got everything switched out, this case is great, so much room. I need to get a new DVD drive though, or paint this one black.

those profiles
" - Breach – Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled"

ive seen a lot of that aa has been diabled thing in ati profiles, isnt that bad ?
ps: how are you supposed to know what games have aa disabled there is no list in the ccc

Is it bad when they prevent abnormal image corruptions and additional issues?

those profiles
" - Breach – Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled"

ive seen a lot of that aa has been diabled thing in ati profiles, isnt that bad ?
ps: how are you supposed to know what games have aa disabled there is no list in the ccc

You're probably supposed to use the in-game AA settings rather than just force it.

The glossy plastic surface layer over the decal on my XFX 6950 cooler peeled off. What a shitty adhesive they used. Uhg. I decided to remove the screwed up decal remnants with some alcohol. Looks better in plain black with just the red fan. ;)

While cleaning up my mess, I pulled the cooler apart and repasted it. Didn't seem to improve temps any though. I think I'm gonna be getting a Accelero S1 to slap on it....

The stock thermal paste seemed kinda hard. I wonder if it was partly phase change. The application really wasn't that bad IMO.

3rd download down is the application profiles
Oh, thanks. :D

I must have assumed the profiles were included in the driver pack (seriously, why aren't they?), and then forgotten they were available right on the download page... *facepalm*

Profiles is something the CCC should download automatically from AMD without the user having to faff with it, especially when new games are released and there's no crossfire profile in the current set. That'd be a real good feature to add IMO.

Back