Google Maps...sweet

I have to credit The Inq for alerting me to the new feature:

http://maps.google.com

I've seen some similar satellite mapping done before, but never this good. Notably:

1) You can "scroll" (relatively smoothly) around both street maps and satellite images. Very nice.
2) Driving directions superimose the "route" on the satellite map
3) (Not directly related to google), the quality / detail of the satellite imagry is the best I've seen thus far of these broad reaching systems.

Edit: Lots of detail for the US (at least my area)...not sure about the rest of the planet yet. ;)

Terraserver has, by far, the best high quality maps. You can actually see the cars on the streets and people's lawns on that one with crystal clear clarity. But in terms of UI and usability, googlemaps has it, and every other mapping service, crushed.

Isn't terraserver fee-based? I know it was possible to download some form of graphics demo from Nvidia a while back that used maps from one of these services to render a zoomable globe of the earth, but of course it required a subscription to work for more than like ten minutes. :(

Natoma said:
Terraserver has, by far, the best high quality maps.

Link?

You can actually see the cars on the streets and people's lawns on that one with crystal clear clarity.

I can see cars and lawns (including my own) here too...not sure about relative clarity though.

OK...terraserver.com ;)

It looks like terraserver compiles images from multiple sources: including DigitalGlobe (which is what Google Maps is using.) That seems to ooffer the best color resolution...though I don't know if google maps makes the highest resolutions available.

The only better resolution is via GlobeExplorer in infrared mode. (Though of course, different satellites at the same resolution can have different quality...)

nutball said:
Can you spot Area 51?

Search for Rachel, NV or Groom Lake. Most of the less populated areas are incomplete so I doubt it's there.

Any idea why the roofs of the White House, Treasury and Exec Office are blocked out? So we can't see the AAM battery? :oops:

Late last year we sold a house in CA and moved to MN for family reasons. We just recently agreed to buy a house in MN. Yesterday, I tortured my CA friends by sending them two satellite photos at the same scale --one our old house/neighborhood in CA and one our new house/neighborhood in MN.

They may like their weather better (the air is crap tho), but we just upgraded from .12 acres in a nice middle class neighborhood to 3.3 acres on a premier golf course and 75% more finished sq ft --for less money.

So thanks maps.google.com for allowing me to torture those near and dear. . . :p

Ooh, that could be it. They must have paid a fortune to get "©2005 Google" etched into the ground like that.

MuFu (via bugmenot).

better than what?

Keyhole's satellite photos appear to have better resolution (zoom) than Google maps. While Google is more up to date and shows my house, Keyhole shows my car in the NVIDIA parking lot.

Back