Business trip to the US

PowerK

Regular
Hi guys.

Next week, I'm visiting Austin, TX. Unfortunately, there's no direct flight from Seoul to Austin. The closest city is Dallas. I've been to the west & east side of the US many times before. But it's my first time to Texas.

I'm thinking to drive from Dallas airport to Austin. (I hate to transit.. especially, domestic flights)
According to Google Maps,
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...365093&sspn=0.007411,0.013797&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7
It's about 200 miles. (Approx. 3 hours 30 minutes of driving). Is this a good idea or should I just suck it up and transit to domestic flying from Dallas to Austin ?

Hi guys.

Next week, I'm visiting Austin, TX. Unfortunately, there's no direct flight from Seoul to Austin. The closest city is Dallas. I've been to the west & east side of the US many times before. But it's my first time to Texas.

I'm thinking to drive from Dallas airport to Austin. (I hate to transit.. especially, domestic flights)
According to Google Maps,
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...365093&sspn=0.007411,0.013797&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=7
It's about 200 miles. (Approx. 3 hours 30 minutes of driving). Is this a good idea or should I just suck it up and transit to domestic flying from Dallas to Austin ?

just be warned that it is a very boring drive, there is literally nothing between dallas and austin.

If it were me I'd take Korean Air to Los Angleles and then Delta (partner airline) from LAX to Austin from there. Breaks up the trip nicely (only about ten hours to LAX) and that way you're not looking at 7 hours of driving past the same brown field. Dallas to Austin is actually a less interesting drive than crossing Nebraska or Kansas.

Just know that LAX is just about the worst major airport in the US.

? No way. For customs LAX is way better than many other airports. Detroit and Minneapolis have terrible customs operations. For purely travel and timing, O'hare, DFW, Newark, Laguardia and a whole bunch of others are way way worse.

LAX can be a terrible departure airport (depends on the airline), but he isn't departing there.

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, make sure to cross all of those little boxes on the immigrations form where they ask if you're mentally unstable, drug addict, sex offender, HIV positive, terrorist etc... ;)

LAX can be a terrible departure airport (depends on the airline), but he isn't departing there.

I think I'll be needing to depart from LAX. (As a matter of fact, I've departed from LAX a few times before).
Change in biz trip. Need to visit Austin, LA (Orange County) as well.

Korean Airline to LAX and then Delta to Austin sounds perfect. Thanks everyone. (Specially, thanks to Mize)

Oh, and just for shits and giggles, make sure to cross all of those little boxes on the immigrations form where they ask if you're mentally unstable, drug addict, sex offender, HIV positive, terrorist etc... ;)

Given the dangerous and irresponsible nature of your advise, your illegal attempt at humour has been recorded. Measures have been taken accordingly, first by immediately putting your person on the federal no-fly list, then by wire-tapping all kinds of communication devices at your disposition.

Signature of President Obama is pending in order to authorize your assassination, would you fail to present yourself to the nearest detention center, or refuse to carry out an order from Blackwater operatives that may come knocking on your door.

Sincerely,
the Homeland Ministry of Long Wars Against Words.

Back