Getting threads to stay on-topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend

Banned
1) Would anyone have any objections if the mods deleted all posts that have nothing to do with a thread's topic?
2) Would the mods have any reservations about deleting all posts in a thread that have nothing to do with that thread's topic; or if this would be just too much work (since we have so many participants -- new ones, I can understand... the old-timers, I am just frustrated -- that do not seem to know when a thread can do without any side-tracking) ?

I'm not talking about all those non-3D forums. I'm sorry if I'm being "too serious". I just don't have a lot of time to visit this forum nowadays and I've been continuously frustrated by all the OT posts in threads that started off talking about 3D (the core of this site) and then progress into humorous-we're-all-friends-here-so-it's-fine-to-go-OT veins. It's frustrating starting a thread seeking 3D-related comments only to find it's a waste of time seeking such comments because when one idiot starts an OT post and a lot of folks just starts joining "in the OT fun" when they see that single post. I don't know about the current B3D staff but back then it was also frustrating for me to get certain prominent developers to visit (mush less participate) this forum by/when I want to point them to certain threads that I think they may be interested in but by the time I wanted to do so there were just so much OT stuff I became embarrased to do so and therefore just didn't.

Thank you and I hope you all will understand.

They already do that, I know from experience.

Edit: What annoys me more though is when threads are suddenly merged. Wouldn't it be less confusing to simply lock the older thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they already do that but I don't care about threads I'm not interested in (sorry for being selfish, a term all can understand here). IOW, the mods aren't doing enough of this.

I am almost afraid to post anymore 3D tech stuff John Carmack tells me, to encourage 3D-related discussions, because folks will go "Why would this matter, they make crappy games"; or in a similar vein, afraid to post anymore 3D tech stuff by any/all of the developers I correspond with because it inevitably becomes a waste of time for me, for them (and other up-and-coming programmers that visit this forum for a single reason). If the mods (and others) tell me "Just ignore those posts Rev", sorry; I expect better. Hopefully this isn't something bad enough that can significantly reduce this site's ad earnings.

Again, my apologies for complaining.

Last edited:
Reverend said:
Yes, they already do that but I don't care about threads I'm not interested in (sorry for being selfish, a term all can understand here). IOW, the mods aren't doing enough of this.

I am almost afraid to post anymore 3D tech stuff John Carmack tells me, to encourage 3D-related discussions, because folks will go "Why would this matter, they make crappy games"; or in a similar vein, afraid to post anymore 3D tech stuff by any/all of the developers I correspond with because it inevitably becomes a waste of time for me, for them (and other up-and-coming programmers that visit this forum for a single reason). If the mods (and others) tell me "Just ignore those posts Rev", sorry; I expect better. Hopefully this isn't something bad enough that can significantly reduce this site's ad earnings.

Again, my apologies for complaining.
Well, maybe the mods could make it so that if a thread starter specifically says that they're interested in something that's technical or about gameplay, then the mods could delete any off-topic posts. The Carmack thread starter (that was you, right?) didn't do this though I believe. :D

It's a conundrum. I understand it can be frustrating, but many fascinating discussions have arisen as a result of a thread drifting off into new territory. Perhaps a better solution is for site staff to split divergent topics out of threads, but this is (from experience) far more work than nipping OT talk in the bud with a few snappy deletes.

nintenho said:
Well, maybe the mods could make it so that if a thread starter specifically says that they're interested in something that's technical or about gameplay, then the mods could delete any off-topic posts. The Carmack thread starter (that was you, right?) didn't do this though I believe. :D
So what you're saying is that if such a thread-starter needed to do this continuously then he's in the wrong forum here?

I'm sure the B3D staff/mods find that to be a compliment.

OK, I'll bite, and in more ways than the one you suggested.

From here on, whenever I post a thread where I expect absolutely no OT posts, I'll start off with "Unless you stay on-topic, this thread does nothing but degrade the quality of this forum. Your names will be noted by me (but not necessarily by the B3D staff/mods)".

I need to do this, is that what you're saying?

Ludicrous.

All I'm saying is that all those "keyboard-happy-go-lucky" participants here recognize when they should refrain from making an OT post in a thread. Doing otherwise is being disrespectful to the thread-starter and the site, which has seen a continually growing number of programmers and developers offerring their input by posting in this forum on the one thing that large majprity is interested in, games and games technology.

Why does John Carmack post at /. ?

Reverend said:
So what you're saying is that if such a thread-starter needed to do this continuously then he's in the wrong forum here?

I'm sure the B3D staff/mods find that to be a compliment.

OK, I'll bite, and in more ways than the one you suggested.

From here on, whenever I post a thread where I expect absolutely no OT posts, I'll start off with "Unless you stay on-topic, this thread does nothing but degrade the quality of this forum. Your names will be noted by me (but not necessarily by the B3D staff/mods)".

I need to do this, is that what you're saying?

Ludicrous.

All I'm saying is that all those "keyboard-happy-go-lucky" participants here recognize when they should refrain from making an OT post in a thread. Doing otherwise is being disrespectful to the thread-starter and the site, which has seen a continually growing number of programmers and developers offerring their input by posting in this forum on the one thing that large majprity is interested in, games and games technology.

Why does John Carmack post at /. ?
Uhhhhhhh...I'm sorry if I offended you duders, but what I'm saying is that if you start a topic about how GameX does sub-surface scattering and a couple posters start getting into a pissing contest about whether GameX or GameY have a better storyline, then since you started the thread obviously not interested in anything besides the technology behind it, then the mods should have the right to delete every one of those posts and put a little note on it saying that it was moderated for lacking any desirability or something. I think this would work better because then people would get the hint and shut up.

By the by, I was just messing with you about how you didn't post under a standard that didn't exist yet.

yeah, huh?

I think that if there's only a couple of OT posts, it's okay. If a thread starts to derail mods will intervene.

We are trying to maintain the threads on topic and to reduce the noise in all forums (but general since by def it's the noise forum ;) ).

I already moderated your latest thread (prior to this one), do you think it should be even further more edited ?

Ingenu said:
I already moderated your latest thread (prior to this one), do you think it should be even further more edited ?
What do I think? Well, what do you think of what I posted in this thread?

[edit] I'm a little disappointed that you needed to ask that question. The point of this thread is/was that you shouldn't have needed to.

Last edited:
What happens when you report such off-topic/derailing posts to the mods? Won't the mods say that they will delete derailing posts if they are pointed out explicitly, especially in the more technical forums?

Reverend said:
What do I think? Well, what do you think of what I posted in this thread?

[edit] I'm a little disappointed that you needed to ask that question. The point of this thread is/was that you shouldn't have needed to.

Obviously my question was meant for you to tell me which posts you wanted to be modified...

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
What happens when you report such off-topic/derailing posts to the mods? Won't the mods say that they will delete derailing posts if they are pointed out explicitly, especially in the more technical forums?

Reported posts are always checked, but not necessarily edited/locked/deleted.
(Sometimes the whole topic suffer the wrath of the mods since some are clearly useless pieces of junk far below Beyond3D standard, or have far too much of noise to be left open...)

Ingenu said:
Reported posts are always checked, but not necessarily edited/locked/deleted.
(Sometimes the whole topic suffer the wrath of the mods since some are clearly useless pieces of junk far below Beyond3D standard, or have far too much of noise to be left open...)

Which implies that if you don't report a off-topic post, then you've not got anything to complain about if your thread drifts off-topic. If you do report an off-topic post in your thread and the mods leave it alone, then you're being too oversensitive, and the post is not as off-topic as you think.

Reverend said:
I've been continuously frustrated by all the OT posts in threads that started off talking about 3D (the core of this site) and then progress into humorous-we're-all-friends-here-so-it's-fine-to-go-OT veins.

I apologize for that "z5" comment. :D

Reverend said:
I'm a little disappointed that you needed to ask that question. The point of this thread is/was that you shouldn't have needed to.
So you don't think the moderation here is up to snuff? Is that what you're trying to say? :-|

Having read your previous thread I have to say I don't think that is undermoderated. I personally don't have a problem with a short burst of 3 or so small off topic posts here and there. I don't think B3D changed, hell I remember far worse from the D3D good old days. There are people who can stomach open forums, and people who can't ... and some of the former turn into the latter with age.

Last edited by a moderator:
MfA said:
Having read your previous thread I have to say I don't think that is undermoderated. I personally don't have a problem with a short burst of 3 or so small off topic posts here and there.
I think a re-count of the posts that talked about id staff or if id make good games are in order, Marco.

I don't think B3D changed, hell I remember far worse from the D3D good old days.
I'll agree with that it was worse back then (whule still qualifying as the "good" old days... eh? :) ), which means that it has changed, which means that you're wrong to think B3D hasn't changed... right? :)

There are people who can stomach open forums, and people who can't ... and some of the former turn into the latter with age.
I thought it was the other way around!

Last edited:
digitalwanderer said:
So you don't think the moderation here is up to snuff? Is that what you're trying to say? :-|
DW, it's pretty obvious to me you don't like me and that's fine but turning an honest thread like this into a "Rev is against B3D" (and don't deny it; that's basically your intention, and not just with the above quoted comments but elsewhere, undeservedly so IMO) just makes things worse.

There's a difference between my expecting more/better from the mods here (which is basically what I said), and my saying the mods here "aren't up to snuff" (which I NEVER said). There's a big difference in the tones of delivery and I am fairly certain of the reason why you chosed those words to twist things wickedly (see my first sentence in this post).

You already posted a comment in my thread (where, FYI, K.I.L.E.R posted the only response I was looking for, which is to say "being on topic", in a forum where OT posts are tolerated to the largest degree here... pretty impressive of K.I.L.E.R, huh?) that most probably made it get locked (I never intended to sound like I'm "more popular/well known/betterer than Dave Baumann" (your rather immature words IMO, DW); more folks know of a Kyle Bennett than they do a Dave Baumann but does that mean Mr Bennett is "more popular/well known/betterer" than Mr Baumann?; that's just fact due to certain websites appealing to a larger audience than the other; and all I did was convey my experience with folks I meet in my city in my country), probably because the mods can see a flame war coming (unless they think the same as you, of course, i.e. the mods think all I wanted to do with my thread was to say I think I'm "more popular/well known/betterer than Dave Baumann") due to your comment, when my thread really was about whether/how often you guys recommend to people to visit this site (which surely qualifies as a decent topic of discussion and must surely be something Dave would have some passing interest in).

It is extremely frustrating to see comments that basically accuse me of ulterior motives the minute I post anything that can possibly be seen as critical of this site or of its staff (and even if I was being honestly critical about something about this site, what on earth is wrong with that unless it is downright ludicrous or without reason to begin with?).

Maybe it's better if you just included the following in your sig, which is something I can say and admit truthfully :

I think there's no better 3D hardware reviewer than Dave Baumann, period. No one in the 3D hardware reviewing business knows or understands more about 3D than Dave. For that reason Beyond3D.com is THE site when it comes to looking for 3D hardware reviews that place an emphasis on understanding 3D architectures.

That way, you can just post "Rev, please remember what you posted as per my sig" everytime you think I'm "against B3D".

And of course, contrary to my recommendation in this thread, I have gone OT. For this particular instance, I sure hope the mods won't edit/delete this post!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back