Getting threads to stay on-topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reverend said:
All I'm saying is that all those "keyboard-happy-go-lucky" participants here recognize when they should refrain from making an OT post in a thread. Doing otherwise is being disrespectful to the thread-starter and the site

Not if the thread itself or the starter is disrespectful already, or tries to transport a 'sneaky' message across, like your "Do you recommend B3D" thread a few days ago.

And please don't take this personally, just telling you to look in the mirror before you start talking of anyone else being disrespectful.

EDIT: first sentence for better choice of words

Reverend said:
DW, it's pretty obvious to me you don't like me and that's fine but turning an honest thread like this into a "Rev is against B3D" (and don't deny it; that's basically your intention, and not just with the above quoted comments but elsewhere, undeservedly so IMO) just makes things worse.

There's a difference between my expecting more/better from the mods here (which is basically what I said), and my saying the mods here "aren't up to snuff" (which I NEVER said). There's a big difference in the tones of delivery and I am fairly certain of the reason why you chosed those words to twist things wickedly (see my first sentence in this post).

You already posted a comment in my thread (where, FYI, K.I.L.E.R posted the only response I was looking for, which is to say "being on topic", in a forum where OT posts are tolerated to the largest degree here... pretty impressive of K.I.L.E.R, huh?) that most probably made it get locked (I never intended to sound like I'm "more popular/well known/betterer than Dave Baumann" (your rather immature words IMO, DW); more folks know of a Kyle Bennett than they do a Dave Baumann but does that mean Mr Bennett is "more popular/well known/betterer" than Mr Baumann?; that's just fact due to certain websites appealing to a larger audience than the other; and all I did was convey my experience with folks I meet in my city in my country), probably because the mods can see a flame war coming (unless they think the same as you, of course, i.e. the mods think all I wanted to do with my thread was to say I think I'm "more popular/well known/betterer than Dave Baumann") due to your comment, when my thread really was about whether/how often you guys recommend to people to visit this site (which surely qualifies as a decent topic of discussion and must surely be something Dave would have some passing interest in).

It is extremely frustrating to see comments that basically accuse me of ulterior motives the minute I post anything that can possibly be seen as critical of this site or of its staff (and even if I was being honestly critical about something about this site, what on earth is wrong with that unless it is downright ludicrous or without reason to begin with?).

Maybe it's better if you just included the following in your sig, which is something I can say and admit truthfully :

I think there's no better 3D hardware reviewer than Dave Baumann, period. No one in the 3D hardware reviewing business knows or understands more about 3D than Dave. For that reason Beyond3D.com is THE site when it comes to looking for 3D hardware reviews that place an emphasis on understanding 3D architectures.

That way, you can just post "Rev, please remember what you posted as per my sig" everytime you think I'm "against B3D".

And of course, contrary to my recommendation in this thread, I have gone OT. For this particular instance, I sure hope the mods won't edit/delete this post!
Nope, you're still trolling Rev. The sad thing is you don't even seem to realize it. :(

Maybe this will help:

reverend said:
turning an honest thread like this into a "Rev is against B3D"

Honest like this?

90% of the time, the people I meet have not heard of this site. Nor of Dave Baumann.

They did ask/have heard of "Reverend !... From Voodooextreme , right?"

Yeah, reeeally honest and respectful, I mean the topic was "Do you recommend B3D", right? Why weren't YOU on topic here? :LOL:

it's pretty obvious to me you don't like me

See above and you might realize why it is so. If you don't, no explanation can help you.

_xxx_ said:
Yeah, reeeally honest and respectful, I mean the topic was "Do you recommend B3D", right? Why weren't YOU on topic here?

See above and you might realize why it is so. If you don't, no explanation can help you.

QFT (hate this acronym, but it soo applies here).

_xxx_ said:
Yeah, reeeally honest and respectful, I mean the topic was "Do you recommend B3D", right? Why weren't YOU on topic here? :LOL:
Okay, I'll try to stay on-topic in threads in that forum, particularly very important threads in that forum.

Jesus.

No explanation needed because I never asked for it. You guys have simply taken something I posted that was my observation and experiences with the people in the hardware retail industry as well as hardware enthusiasts in my country and turned into something that isn't true. I apologize if you thought I was disrespectful towards the site or to Dave because that certainly wasn't my intention but I am not going to apologize for posting my actual observation/experiences.

Last post in this thread for me.

I just sent Dave the followiing PM :
Hi Dave,

I thought I'd PM you regarding a thread that you may have read and one where some folks misunderstand some of my comments in my post there.

I started that thread because I was interested to know if folks recommend the site to strangers (like I do) and was surprised to find that most of the people that I recommend this site to haven't heard of either the site or of you. I casually (and cheekily, but truthfully) also mentioned that these strangers however have heard of me (albeit associating me with VE... this is probably due to my first web effort in making that original HL tweak guide, and maybe when VE hosted me when I had my "own site" that loong time ago).

Maybe it's the age group of these people I talk to (they appear to be in their mid-30s) or the fact that these are Malaysians that remember another Malaysian (namely, me) being hosted by a big site like VE or corresponding with "big shot" developers, that resulted in them knowing my name more than they do this site or you. It's quite understandable to me actually, with this country's culture of championing every little "success stories" of theirs (although I'm not saying I'm a "success story" but I can't help what other folks think!).

However, it is odd that this site/you doesn't immediately register in the minds of the majority of the hardware "freaks" and hw retail outlets when [H]/Kyle, Anand and Tom most certainly do. You've improved the site so much, you're always on the top tier of media outlets for all the major IHVs so that your p/reviews come out the same time as those mentioned above... it's quite mysterious.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I didn't mean any disrespect with my comments. Some folks took them completely out of context and I hope you didn't.

I'm just disappointed that some of the forumers still cannot seem to forget (my opinion, of course) the shameful way I reacted in the forums when I quit -- this happened so long ago! -- and they jump all over me whenever I post anything that can be seen by them as "unreasonably" critical of the site/you. Or as DW put it, "trolling" by me. I hope these guys would stop that as I have never failed to recommend B3D (and only B3D, as I almost never read other sites nowadays for hw news/reviews/articles) to others seeking advice.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
It's important to me that Dave believes me. It's not important to me that any of you believe me or not.

Reverend said:
I'll agree with that it was worse back then (whule still qualifying as the "good" old days... eh? :)
Yes, good ...

Given the choice for more or less moderation I usually prefer less, I like moderation in moderation ... as you can see in the other thread, it usually goes overboard and does more harm than good.

Reverend said:
Last post in this thread for me.

I just sent Dave the followiing PM :

Hi Dave,

I thought I'd PM you regarding a thread that you may have read and one where some folks misunderstand some of my comments in my post there.

I started that thread because I was interested to know if folks recommend the site to strangers (like I do) and was surprised to find that most of the people that I recommend this site to haven't heard of either the site or of you. I casually (and cheekily, but truthfully) also mentioned that these strangers however have heard of me (albeit associating me with VE... this is probably due to my first web effort in making that original HL tweak guide, and maybe when VE hosted me when I had my "own site" that loong time ago).

Maybe it's the age group of these people I talk to (they appear to be in their mid-30s) or the fact that these are Malaysians that remember another Malaysian (namely, me) being hosted by a big site like VE or corresponding with "big shot" developers, that resulted in them knowing my name more than they do this site or you. It's quite understandable to me actually, with this country's culture of championing every little "success stories" of theirs (although I'm not saying I'm a "success story" but I can't help what other folks think!).

However, it is odd that this site/you doesn't immediately register in the minds of the majority of the hardware "freaks" and hw retail outlets when [H]/Kyle, Anand and Tom most certainly do. You've improved the site so much, you're always on the top tier of media outlets for all the major IHVs so that your p/reviews come out the same time as those mentioned above... it's quite mysterious.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I didn't mean any disrespect with my comments. Some folks took them completely out of context and I hope you didn't.

I'm just disappointed that some of the forumers still cannot seem to forget (my opinion, of course) the shameful way I reacted in the forums when I quit -- this happened so long ago! -- and they jump all over me whenever I post anything that can be seen by them as "unreasonably" critical of the site/you. Or as DW put it, "trolling" by me. I hope these guys would stop that as I have never failed to recommend B3D (and only B3D, as I almost never read other sites nowadays for hw news/reviews/articles) to others seeking advice.

Anyway, keep up the good work.
It's important to me that Dave believes me. It's not important to me that any of you believe me or not.
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

And the point of putting that up publicly like this if it isn't important what any of us think? :LOL:

digitalwanderer said:
And the point of putting that up publicly like this if it isn't important what any of us think? :LOL:
I can't send a PM to multiple recipients. I felt the other B3D staff should know without wasting time sending multiple PMs to them.

It's almost embarrassing reading this thread(it's actually quite sad), Rev has things he cant let go of apparently....most of his post's seem to be a cry for attention.

I wish theJohn Carmack tells me secrets card would quit getting played. I would rather not hear about those things(which were'nt terribly impressive to me anyways IMO) and simply have Rev quit causing strife here on the boards.

I honestly dont think he's ever replied to one of my post's, in three years, without making me feel like some kind of a peasant:LOL:

I'd better go now because the irony of it all just hit me:p

micron said:
It's almost embarrassing reading this thread(it's actually quite sad), Rev has things he cant let go of apparently....most of his post's seem to be a cry for attention.
Thanks for tip #1.

I wish theJohn Carmack tells me secrets card would quit getting played. I would rather not hear about those things(which were'nt terribly impressive to me anyways IMO) and simply have Rev quit causing strife here on the boards.
Thanks for tip #2.

I honestly dont think he's ever replied to one of my post's, in three years, without making me feel like some kind of a peasant:LOL:
I assume this should represent a lot of folks like you. Thanks for tip #3.

Now on to the next pertinent post by me...

John Reynolds said:
Your keyboard lacks a semi-colon key?
I didn't know PMs work the same as email, sorry (and embarrassed).

I've had fun trying to provide my personal opinions here on a variety of topics as well as voluntarily providing the community with correspondences from developers I regularly correspond with. Neither of these two categories appear to be appreciated.

I cannot understand why (as evidenced by micron's post -- which, btw, is incorrect <sorry... I thought it was geo when it was micron> while I was editing this post of mine -- JC never tells me "secrets"... he just sees it fit to reply to certain emails of mine, the contents of which certainly don't qualify as sensational "secrets"... but I tell the community here anyway, and thus hopefully encourage hits for B3D, by posting what he tells me on those occasions) anyone thinks I'm trying to "seek attention" in a public forum while having basically no website of my own, or one that is relevant. I have never posted any of my correspondences in any other website or their forums. I could have but I never did. I only do it at this site because I know many folks watch for any kind of JC/TS/etc tidbits and I had hoped to increase hits for this site by exclusively posting them here (if you have the time, you can check where I have posted any of the emails I have received from, say, JC or TS... you will never find them anywhere else but here).

It is apparent that my contribution here hasn't been appreciated for some time nor will it ever presumably. The silence from the B3D staff on this issue that has come up a number of times in the past is quite deafening to me and I take that as their agreeing to those that have voiced their disapproval of me and the way I have conducted myself in this forum.

I have done much, much more for this site than I have ever or/and can ever do damage to it. History has proven this on both fronts.

I will do more of what folks like Kristof, SA, MfA, Simon Fenney and the like (you know who you are, right?) has done here in recent times here. Don't worry; the door won't hit my ass.

Last edited:
<EDIT>

For heavens sake Rev, you've changed that post above me like four times now. Is this the final revision?:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am nowhere on this thread prior to this post and you thot Micron was me? :LOL: Jeez, Rev. I *have* pos-repped you, y'know, when you post your forward-looking speculative things. Frankly I don't recall if I've ever neg-repped you or not, but I'm sure there's been more pos than neg from me in any case.

No one has asked you to leave. If you feel you need a break, then by all means take one. My own observation is no one ever finds any fault with you except when you talk about the site and/or Dave. Give that a break for about a year and see how it works out. It's not like there isn't a wide field to talk about without those two subjects. The first "leaving" was too messy for anyone to take anything you say on those two subjects as if it was written by "Joe Noob", fairly or not (and let's not get into a detailed conversation of which were fair and which weren't). Or if, based on your long experience and historical interest in the health and future of B3D, you have suggestions to make re the site, make them in private to staff. That's my constructive suggestion.

And, btw, "Reverend of 3D" is a much more memorable nic than "Wavey Dave" anyway!

micron said:
What do you mean folks like me..!!??!

No, apparently folks like me! :LOL:

C'mon, Micron, let's go get drunk together on *peasant beer! We prolly won't be the first stinko participants on this thread.

<*which is a shame, as I actually have refined tastes in beer!>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back