german bank holidays

davefb

Newcomer
hi,

mate of mine works in germany ( coburg).. well he was complaining that he's got to take 5 days from holiday allocation because of the way xmas day and new years day fall this year... now, we said "but you get loads of bank holidays in germany" , but funnily enough his company doesnt seem to have given him this information !!..

so can anyone help, what are the official german bank holidays? And do employees have these days off , or is it up to the company ? ?

-dave-

wierd,

in the uk they move xmas to the 28th and boxing to the 27th

( yes i do mean that way round,, it's on the official DTI site ;) )

oh well, looks like there are *some* disadvantages to living over there!

-dave-

The difference is that we don't move bank holidays to the "coming monday". So if they fall on a weekend, you're screwed so to speak.
And that is exactly what happened this year with very nearly every bank holiday. :(

Yeah i love the UK, they just move the bank holidays to the next monday if it falls on a weekend; in Italy, if they fall on a weekend u're buggered.

Mariner said:
Don't know which days they are exactly, but a 5 second Google search brought up this page:

http://avantgo.thetimes.co.uk/services/avantgo/article/0,,1345040,00.html

This indicates that they have 3 more days bank holidays than the UK. Lazy continentals! ;)

and is pointless ;) , coz as maven/london-boy points out,, unlike the uk they dont get moved , so this year my mate out in germany is feeling a bit pissed off :). . so anyway,, does anybody actually know when these other bank holidays are ? i *did* find some pages , but they generally said stuff like "include these days" , is there an official government website ?

Yes i do believe that at least in Italy there are more bank holidays than in the UK, with all the Saints and the Independence and all the Christ's cousin's nanny's uncle's anniversaries and the Day of the Sneeze and the Berlusconi Day (bank holiday on his birthday, and everytime he makes a sentence that actually makes sense)... Only thing is, if they fall on a weekend, we/they lose it.

london-boy said:
Yes i do believe that at least in Italy there are more bank holidays than in the UK, with all the Saints and the Independence and all the Christ's cousin's nanny's uncle's anniversaries and the Day of the Sneeze and the Bwerlusconi Day (bank holiday on his birthday, and everytime he makes a sentence that actually makes sense)... Only thing is, if they fall on a weekend, we/they lose it.

apparently till 1830 ( or so) it was the same in the uk, lots of saints days but not uniform about the country...... hahah berlesconi day :)

In Italy there are 8 bank holidays (I mean, not considering Easter and Christmas holidays).
1st January
6th January
25th April
1st May
2nd June
15th August
1st November
8th December

The strictly non-religious holidays being: 25th April, 1st May and 2nd June.

Back