George R. R. Martin's new book, "A Feast for Crows&quot

Good point about Clancy yes it is exactly the same problem, Grisham, it goes on and on. It seems that they get paid by the page or something.

I read a Terry Goodkind book that my wife picked up at half price books dirt cheap, it was called debt of bones and is 119 pages long. It was quite an enjoyable read as far as I am concerned. Not life changing or anything, just entertainment which is the point I gather. :LOL:

Maybe I have ADD or something :p

And John I like the elves/dwarves and crap it is why fantasy is more entertaining. Regular constraints on an author are removed in the fantasy realm and they should take advantage of it (not saying they should all use the same bits, the point is that they can do pretty much whatever they want).

John Reynolds said:
Martin's series really isn't fantasy since it's modelled on the War of the Roses (York vs. Lancaster). There are fantastical elements in the books, such as the dragons, the Others, unCatelyn, etc., but the series definitely isn't about elves and dwarves running around Pixie-Fairy Land to combat the Dark Lord (probably a Republican <g>) who wants to enslave them.
Disregarding 'popular' genre labels then? I guess what I'm saying is that it does look like something I might enjoy (can't read too much about it on Wikipedia as there are spoilers in abundance). I'm extremely sensitive to when literature seemingly start going nowhere. Thus I’m a bit wary of starting any long running series that is a continuous saga regardless of genre. It'd be a bit of a waste if I were to, say like the first two an then start to sour on it by A Storm of Swords when there is still 'no end in sight', if you understand what I mean.

To ask a concise question: Can the books series be read and fully enjoyed as standalone volumes, or do they ‘require’ you to start at the beginning?

Zaphod said:
To ask a concise question: Can the books series be read and fully enjoyed as standalone volumes, or do they ‘require’ you to start at the beginning?

The books aren't stand-alone at all. Your best bet is probably to wait to see how the 4th volume, Feast, turns out. I think Martin could very well be falling into the trap of wanting to explore his little fictional world more than telling a good story (though he believes he can do both).

Thanks John. I think I'll pass on these then, at least for now. I hope that you get your expectations (or should I say ‘hopes’, in view of your cautious reservation) satisfied, though, since you're obviously looking forward to it. :smile:

Zaphod said:
Thanks John. I think I'll pass on these then, at least for now. I hope that you get your expectations (or should I say ‘hopes’, in view of your cautious reservation) satisfied, though, since you're obviously looking forward to it. :smile:
Im just curious which he is looking forward to more:
--Serenity
--AFfC
--Oblivion

Sxotty said:
And John I like the elves/dwarves and crap it is why fantasy is more entertaining. Regular constraints on an author are removed in the fantasy realm and they should take advantage of it (not saying they should all use the same bits, the point is that they can do pretty much whatever they want).

I do too--hell, I've lost count of how many times I've read LotR--but Martin's books are a nice change from your standard genre conventions. Though I'm not sure going to Pixie-Wixie land really gives fantasy authors so much freedom since the real constraint is their own talent as a writer, and the genre's publications can be just as formulaic as that of romance, mystery, etc.

epicstruggle said:
Im just curious which he is looking forward to more:
--Serenity
--AFfC
--Oblivion

Heh, I was just telling the wife last night during our usual post-dinner walk that it's going to be a good fall for geeks (this one in particular). For me the list would probably read:

-AFfC
-Oblivion
-Serenity

I'm really going to be pissed if I get hit by a car this month.

John Reynolds said:
I'm really going to be pissed if I get hit by a car this month.
Depends. If you're left bedridden for the next 3 months, you can:
-read all of GRRM's books
-Torrent Serenity and watch it over again
-Same with oblivion.

And not have to play hookey from work to do it, either.

Definately a win.

John Reynolds said:
I do too--hell, I've lost count of how many times I've read LotR--but Martin's books are a nice change from your standard genre conventions. Though I'm not sure going to Pixie-Wixie land really gives fantasy authors so much freedom since the real constraint is their own talent as a writer, and the genre's publications can be just as formulaic as that of romance, mystery, etc.

I agree 100% if you noticed I even included that when I said "not saying they shoud use those particular bits" or some such thing.

I actually think that fantasy has more drivel published than any other genre, but I could be wrong :) Maybe I have just read more terrible fantasy than other books. My point was that it has potential to truly unlock the authors creativity.

RussSchultz said:
Depends. If you're left bedridden for the next 3 months, you can:
-read all of GRRM's books
-Torrent Serenity and watch it over again
-Same with oblivion.

And not have to play hookey from work to do it, either.

Definately a win.

Heh, my concerns were a bit more fatal than that.

The "mystery" PoV has been revealed as a Dornish guard captain. Will Dorne, pissed at Elia and Oberyn's fates, rise up against the Lannisters? LIke I said earlier in this thread, Martin's # of PoVs is going to get out of control, though I suspect he plans on dealing with this problem in the remaining books through his habit of axing characters with aplomb.

Speaking of that Dornish captain, the wife was at Barnes & Nobles this morning for their children's reading time and noticed that the newly re-released paperback of AGoT's stand had new AFfC chapter excerpts titled "A Captain of the Guards." So she grabbed me several copies. :p

Amazon.co.uk says it's preparing to dispatch my order and it cannot be changed or cancelled now. Some people in the UK claim to have already received their copies of the book.

John Reynolds said:
Amazon.co.uk says it's preparing to dispatch my order and it cannot be changed or cancelled now. Some people in the UK claim to have already received their copies of the book.

Amazon.co.uk shows 18-20th of October as the dispatching date for my copy.

John Reynolds said:
OK, just a request that, from this point forward, everyone please be careful with posting spoilers.

Aye. I think we could keep this as the official "Where's my mailman" -thread and then have an another one where people could talk about the plot and write their reviews.

Just checked Amazon.co.uk here at work and it says my order has been dispatched. I literally stood up with my arms over my head when I read that, more excitement than if my boss came into the room and said I was getting a $5k raise.

Back