George R. R. Martin's new book, "A Feast for Crows&quot

John Reynolds

Ecce homo
Veteran
"A Feast for Crows"

It's done. Finally! Unfortunately, the publisher gave martin a page limit on the book since it had grown so large and Martin decided to remove large sections of it to the 5th book, which he now considers 60% done. The new "thinner" version of AFfC is now the length of the first book (it was longer than A Storm of Swords before the cuts). The book is going to focus heavily on Dorne and the political wrangling that occurs between Cersei and the southern kingdoms, which possibly means no Jon or Dany (and even, maybe, no Tyrion, which is a major bummer for me. . .come to think of it, probably no Arya either).

The American and British versions should be published within a few weeks of each other this September or October.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/done.html

No, I haven't finished writing everything I wanted to include in A FEAST FOR CROWS. I have wrapped up a whole bunch of characters and storylines since the last update in January, but "a whole bunch" does not equate to "all."

And I was facing another problem as well: the sheer size of the book.

All of the books in this series have been big, mind you. A GAME OF THRONES weighed in at 1088 pages in manuscript, not counting the appendices. A CLASH OF KINGS was even longer at 1184 pages, not counting the appendices. And A STORM OF SWORDS measured a gargantuan 1521 pages in manuscript, not counting the (etc).

Any publisher will tell you that a book as big as A STORM OF SWORDS is a production nightmare, and STORM did indeed cause problems for many of my publishers around the world. In some languages it was divided into two, three, or even four volumes. Bantam published STORM in a single volume in the United States, but not without difficulty. Pretty much everyone agreed that it would be a really good thing if the fourth volume in the series came in somewhat shorter than STORM, so I set out with the idea of delivering a FEAST closer in length to A CLASH OF KINGS.

Alas for good intentions. In hindsight, I should have known better. The story makes its own demands, as Tolkien once said, and my story kept demanding to get bigger and more complicated.

I passed A CLASH OF KINGS last year, and still had plenty more to write. By January, I had more than 1300 pages, and still had storylines unfinished. About three weeks ago I hit 1527 pages of final draft, surpassing A STORM OF SWORDS... but I also had another hundred or so pages of roughs and incomplete chapters, as well as other chapters sketched out but entirely unwritten. That was when I realized that the light I'd seen at the end of the tunnel was actually the headlight of an onrushing locomotive.

And that's why my publishers and I, after much discussion and weighing of alternatives, have decided to split the narrative into two books (printing in microtype on onion skin paper and giving each reader a magnifying glass was not considered feasible, and I was reluctant to make the sort of deep cuts that would have been necessary to get the book down to a more publishable length, which I felt would have compromised the story).

The first plan was simply to lop the text in half. In that scenario, I would finish the last few chapters in as short a length (and time) as possible. That would have produced a story of maybe 1650 to 1700 pages in manuscript, which we would simply have broken into two chunks of roughly equal length and published as A FEAST FOR CROWS, Part One and A FEAST FOR CROWS, Part Two.

We decided not to do that. It was my feeling -- and I pushed hard for this, so if you don't like the solution, blame me, not my publishers -- that we were better off telling all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. Cutting the novel in half would have produced two half-novels; our approach will produce two novels taking place simultaneously, but set hundreds or even thousands of miles apart, and involving different casts of characters (with some overlap).

The division has been done, and it think it works quite well. The upshot is, A FEAST FOR CROWS is now moving into production. It is still a long book, but not too long; about the same size as A GAME OF THRONES. The focus in FEAST will be on Westeros, King's Landing, the riverlands, Dorne, and the Iron Islands. More than that I won't say.

Meanwhile, all the characters and stories removed from FEAST are moving right into A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, which will focus on events in the east and north. All the chapters I have not yet finished and/or begun are moving into DANCE. I think this is very good, if truth be told, since it will give me the room to complete those arcs as I had originally intended, rather than trying to tie them up quickly in a chapter or two so I could deliver the massively late Big FEAST.

So there it is. I know some of you may be disappointed, especially when you buy A FEAST FOR CROWS and discover that your favorite character does not appear, but given the realities I think this was the best solution... and the more I look at it, the more convinced I am that these two parallel novels, when taken together, will actually tell the story better than one big book.

And if there are those who don't agree, and still want their Big FEAST with all the trimmings set out on one huge table... well, there's an easy fix. Get both books, razor the pages out with an Exacto knife, interleave the chapters as you think best, and bring the towering stack of text that results to your favorite bookbinder... and presto, chango the Big FEAST will live again.

As for me, I am getting back to work. There's good news on that front too -- A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is half-done!!!

(And before anyone asks, yes indeed, this development means that Parris was right all along. It will now probably require seven books to complete the story).

The sixth book is tentatively titled The Winds of Winter, but I've never heard anything for the Parris-predicted seventh (Parris is Martin's longtime live-in girlfriend). Hopefully Martin can get ADwD finished sometime next year.

I honestly don't know how he's going to finish the series in less than 10 at the rate he's going.

The whole point of the novels seems to be the wall and what's north of it and how the petty squabbles of men put the fate of them all in the balance...and he seems fit to dribble that story out in one or two chapters a book. The next two books, apparently, won't even mention that story arc. :/

RussSchultz said:
I honestly don't know how he's going to finish the series in less than 10 at the rate he's going.

The whole point of the novels seems to be the wall and what's north of it and how the petty squabbles of men put the fate of them all in the balance...and he seems fit to dribble that story out in one or two chapters a book. The next two books, apparently, won't even mention that story arc. :/

I know what you mean, but what's more worrisome to me is the new PoV chapters. He's got 15 different ones now for the unedited AFfC, with new characters in Dorne, the Iron Islands, etc. He's even said he realizes it's getting unwieldy and he'll need to start killing quite a few off.

Well, laid hands on a signed copy of the appetizer booklet via $33 and eBay, which is essentially the first three Dany chapters. Ironically enough, these booklets were printed off before the decision was made to split the PoVs to shorten AFfC's length, so Dany won't even be in the 4th book and thus these chapters won't be published until the 5th is released in 2008-09. And the first of the three has been available as a sample on Martin's site since last year. Ah, well. . . .

It's out already?!! So soon?! ;)

Damn! I have to get this book! "A Song of Ice and Fire" is to me, without a doubt the best fantasy series ever written. I sure hope that all these years writing at least served to produce a book as good as the previous ones.

Too bad about breaking the book in two though. If only he should release the other one next year, it wouldn't be so bad. I sure hope he speeds up his writing a bit.

Alejux said:
It's out already?!! So soon?! ;)

Damn! I have to get this book! "A Song of Ice and Fire" is to me, without a doubt the best fantasy series ever written. I sure hope that all these years writing at least served to produce a book as good as the previous ones.

Too bad about breaking the book in two though. If only he should release the other one next year, it wouldn't be so bad. I sure hope he speeds up his writing a bit.

No, the full book isn't out yet (and won't be until Nov 8th here in the States). What I grabbed off of eBay is a 3-chapter excerpt, a mere 43 pages.

Can anyone give me a rundown on what the series is all about? From the comments made on this forum it sounds like something that would meet my interests.

Midieval politics, with a smattering of fantasy thrown in.

Its well written, though its starting to drag on a bit with too many new characters and not enough resolved story lines (or even story lines that resolve into new story lines).

The two great things about this series are 1) Martin throws the formulaic conventions of the genre right out the window (i.e., don't get too attached to any particular characters because their lifespan might not be that long), and 2) Martin, having worked in television for years, can write dialogue that's leagues better than the majority of fantasy authors.

Good and evil is a matter of perspective to Martin. For example, one character who is reviled as a knight who broke his vows in the first few books gets his own POV story arc in the third, and once the reader is inside his head we learn that things aren't quite as black 'n white as to why this character violated his trust years earlier.

There's also a helluva lot of hints about key events that happened off-stage previous to the series' chronological beginning in Martin's world (named Westeros). So pay attention to sections in which a character is recollecting on past events (such as Ned's dream about fighting the Kingsguard outside the Tower of Joy).

Some spoilers ahead.

I just finished the third book of the series, A Storm of Swords, and damn it was good. In the beginning it felt somewhat slow but uh oh, I can't say same about the rest of the book.

One of the best part in this series has been how the "normal" fantasy stuff has been handled. There's rumors about dragons, monsters and magic but it's not the main thing.

I really like Martin's way to write dramatic events without too much hassle:

Generic fantasy author: Aragor the brave rose his great, bloody sword with his strong arm. Sun hit the blade and blinded the opponent. With his great streng he lashed the sword forward, hitting the foe on the neck. A loud crack followed and once great Oragus the Orcish fell down, with his humble but oh so meager head rolling towards the great river of Greatness. Birds began singing and everything was fine in the Neverland.

George Martin: And then Aragor chopped Oragus' head off.

I'm interested to see how Martin is able to hold his story together. This far the happenings in Dorne have been quite uninteresting, at least to me. Same goes to Arry's plotline, though the Hound made it quite interesting.

Arya's one tough little brat. I pretty sure that in this next book (or the other one) she's going to join the guild of the faceless assassins, so I for one, expect some great moments for that character.

Of course, being GRRM and all, she could very well die any time too... ;)

Miksu said:
I'm interested to see how Martin is able to hold his story together. This far the happenings in Dorne have been quite uninteresting, at least to me. Same goes to Arry's plotline, though the Hound made it quite interesting.

Arya is boring to me, too, though it'll be interesting to see how Martin handles her becoming a Faceless Man (assassin). I think she's already borderline insane as it is.

I also think Martin is going to bloat his story by introducing new POV characters in Dorne and the Iron Islands in the 4th book, but I suspect the 'civil war' in Westeros is going to become even more chaotic with Cersei alone in King's Landing (i.e., she's going to f*ck the peace up with a thoroughness, and hopefully get herself killed in the process). Things are going to need to be really bad before Dany can attempt to return.

For anyone who's read the Dunk & Egg short stories, there are some interesting hints in ASoS regarding them. Egg eventually becomes Aegon the Unlikely and Dunk rises to become Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, though both apparently die at Summerhall when the Blackfyre bastards revolted and were apparently attempting to bring dragons back into the world ("didn't we learn anything at Summerhall?" stated to Davos in the 2nd book regarding Melisandra's desire to raise the stone dragon). Very interesting how Barristan tells Dany about Rhaegar, her older brother who died fighting Robert on the Trident, and how he was born in grief under the shadow of Summerhall. Martin really needs to detail these past events, especially since Rhaegar plays such a role in fulfilling the prophecy of the Prince who was Promised (my guess is it's Jon Snow).

RussSchultz said:
Its well written, though its starting to drag on a bit with too many new characters and not enough resolved story lines (or even story lines that resolve into new story lines).

I bet it will turn into another worthless cash cow like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time or Goodkind's Sword of Truth, which would be a real shame.

L233 said:
RussSchultz said:

I bet it will turn into another worthless cash cow like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time or Goodkind's Sword of Truth.
Yep, I just cant believe what RJ did to the WoT series. It would have been an instant classic if he could have kept it within 3-5 books, but oh my god is it ever dragging on now.

epic

Back