George R. R. Martin's new book, "A Feast for Crows&quot

The wife just called me at work. . .my copy came in today. Suddenly feeling quite flushed, sort of feverish. Might need to go home early and lie down.

Oh, that looks like a bad one too --you may need tomorrow as well.

I'm trying to remember the last time I was quite that goofy about a book coming out. I think it was Piers Anthony "Juxtaposition".

I got my copy too today. Or almost atleast, because post office has it currently. Not sure why it took so long to get here because usually items from Amazon.co.uk are delivered here in Finland in couple days. Now it took over a week.

I didn't get a chance to start the book until around 9 last night. So I'm lying on the couch reading the 2nd or 3rd chapter and I hear Melissa say, "Megan's asleep." Umm, ok. "Honey. Honey!" So I look up and she's standing there in something rather skimpy. "Come upstairs with me." Now?! You know I've waited five years for this book and you get in the mood NOW after I've been busy since getting home?? Not tonight. "You're kidding me?" No, I'm not joking. Not tonight.

After over 16 years together, that was a first. I wish I would've had a camera for the look on her face when she realized I was serious about not putting the book down. Though the look on my face when I get home tonight and find my copy of AFfC in the fireplace might be even better.

:p

John Reynolds said:
I didn't get a chance to start the book until around 9 last night. So I'm lying on the couch reading the 2nd or 3rd chapter and I hear Melissa say, "Megan's asleep." Umm, ok. "Honey. Honey!" So I look up and she's standing there in something rather skimpy. "Come upstairs with me." Now?! You know I've waited five years for this book and you get in the mood NOW after I've been busy since getting home?? Not tonight. "You're kidding me?" No, I'm not joking. Not tonight.

After over 16 years together, that was a first. I wish I would've had a camera for the look on her face when she realized I was serious about not putting the book down. Though the look on my face when I get home tonight and find my copy of AFfC in the fireplace might be even better.

Hahah :)

John Reynolds said:

pwned. That's what she gets for marrying a geek. :LOL:

John Reynolds said:

Looks like a pure power play on her part to me. ;) Tho I rather think I would have taken the book with me today. :LOL:

John Reynolds said:

You couldnt spare 3 minutes?

epicstruggle said:
You couldnt spare 3 minutes?

Pfft, who do you think I am, an Olympic runner? 3 minutes at my age would result in an infarction.

Amazing how many of the first chapters I've already read in excerpts.

John Reynolds said:
Pfft, who do you think I am, an Olympic runner? 3 minutes at my age would result in an infarction.

Amazing how many of the first chapters I've already read in excerpts.
Hehe, when i was with my wife last year she was tired and wanted to read before going to sleep. I _wanted_ to tell her if she can read while im driving, she can read while we do it. Im glad my brain kicked on and kept me from saying it.

John Reynolds said:
Now she wants to watch Batman Begins tonight after we get Megan in bed. This woman is determined to keep me from that book.
It can wait, trust me. I'm about 60% through. After the quite significant plot developements in the last book, GRRM is back to his rather slow pace. Can't say anything significant has happened so far.

As you probably know, he split the book into two parts along PoV lines rather than chronologically. The main PoVs are Jamie, Cersei, Brienne and Samwell. There is some Sansa and very, very little Arya. No Tyrion, Dany, Bran, Jon, Davos or Catelyn and Theon (the latter two may be out for good anyway). I guess they'll be in the next book.

I really hope there will be more Arya in the next book because 1. there's not enough in this book (a mere 3 chapters) and 2. there's a somewhat mean cliffhanger.

With Stannis at the Wall and some things indicating that Davos might be gone for good I had actually hoped I wouldn't have to keep up with this tedious PoV anymore but GRRM threatens his return for the next book so I guess tough shit.

Some chapters aren't associated with any permanent PoV character and are titled differently. These chapters describe events in Dorne and the Iron Isles. I hated the Iron Isles related chapters in the last book and finally things are getting a bit more interesting.

My prelimary judgement so far is "good" but not as good as the previous two books. Especially some of the Brienne chapters feel kinda pointless so far.

John Reynolds said:
Now she wants to watch Batman Begins tonight after we get Megan in bed. This woman is determined to keep me from that book.

Take a vacation day and don't tell her. Go sit in a park or bar or coffee place instead.

:smile:

Edit: Alternate theory --they met at one of the cons you dragged her to, they had a wild fling. . . and it is memorialized on page 437, with unmistakeable clues to anyone who. . .err, "knows" her. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back