"A Feast for Crows" - Spoilers ahead

Miksu

Regular
Okay dokey, I suppose we could have some use for a thread where people can speak freely about G.R.R Martin's A Feast for Crows.

I finally solved my schedule problems and finished the book. Yep, I was slow. But so was the book too! Really, it was well written and all but most of the happenings didn't excite me at all. IMHO Brienne is the worst POV thisfar. And seemed that most of the pages were devouted for her but why? She just traveled around. Cersei was more interesting, though I still prefer Jaime's stories over hers. Sansa was kinda pointless.

I don't know. After the third book my expectations were high so Feast for Crows is a letdown. I'm afraid that Martin won't finish this series ever.

I also thought the Brienne chapters were wasted pages, and felt that the events surrounding Cersei's political fumblings could've been described just fine from another POV, such as Jaime. The little prophecy Cersei was told as a young woman struck me as a too transparent plot device.

Martin is well along the path of becoming another Jordan. The story has simply gotten away from him and he needs to seriously tighten his narrative for it to regain its former quality.

Feast for Crows is a disappointment, yes. I think I still have to read some chapters I skipped.

It's not horrible like the crap Jordan or Goodkind have hacked up in the past couple of years but do I see evidence of creeping Jordanitis. Not a good thing.

Jordan became a repetitive fantasy soap opera author. Goodkind shifted from using his character as vessels for his immature political and sociological ramblings to using his stories to deliver his own dirty little snuff rape and BDSM fantasies. Fucking Creep, someone should keep an eye on him.

I just hope Martin doesn't end up like that. On the other hand, if he did, it would probably cure me from my habbit of wasting time with fantasy literature.

Last edited by a moderator:
The last Jordan book was the best one of the bunch in a long time. Things start moving quickly again and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Feast for Crows kinda sucks though, but on the up side its sorta on purpose b/c the next book will describe the other continent (imo it will be pretty longish, but at least the characters are more interesting on that side).

It probably won't be until the book after that, that thhings will get back to normal (hopefully)

Someday, I assume, he'll get back to the impending doom of humanity: the undead threat from beyond the wall.

Regarding Brienne: I'll be particularly disappointed if he spent the whole damn book following her relatively boring story around, simply to kill her at the end.

Of course, I wouldn't be nearly as irritated if he didn't take 3 years to write a book.

Back