Geometry~Vertex hardware in Nintendo Revolution system?

persiannight said:
You are kidding when you say the RE4 looks better than anything on XBOX right??? I'd rate DOA Ultimate, Halo 2 and Riddick above RE4 and I have the game.
Its his opinion.
I'd say MP looks better than both Halo games.

Teasy, I said efficient console design. I said nothing about actual hardware going inside the console. Efficiency in a console doesn't have to be through ATI or embedded memory. You saying that MS took Nintendo's philosophy with Xenon is just like me saying Nintendo took SEGA's philsophy for gCN with Dreamcast. Efficiency through and throughout.

Not really Sonic since I'm not just talking about efficiency per se. I'm talking about taking very similar routes to it.

http://www.gyration.com/intl/uk/pr-nintendo_uk.htm

When we take the 4 year old announcement of Gyration...

Gyration intends to be the first company to produce game controllers enhanced with gyroscopic motion-sensors, which have a tenfold performance increase over accelerometer tilt sensors and add the ability to sense yaw as well as pitch. A gyro-equipped, motion-sensing controller provides a natural method of game control that draws the player into the game and makes game play more enjoyable. The motion sensor can take the place of a typical thumb pressure pad allowing one-handed game play, or can be integrated into a two-handed controller to add a dimension to game playing not possible with traditional game controllers.

This seems quite likely to become a Nintendo Revolution controller, it could turn out differently, however.

Nintendo will become an active investment partner by purchasing an undisclosed amount of Gyration stock. In exchange, Nintendo will gain access to Gyration research and development in the areas of motion-sensing and wireless RF technologies.

I guess this was for Nintendo DS R&D, not Revolution.

They may want it for controllers, or perhaps for carts or for expansion devices... Such tech is certainly one of the things we've been expecting.

I think they'll be unpleasantly miffed to see just how many people want to move their controller about all the time physically for game operation, and how many would want every move to translate into the game for them. Enhancement it can be, but they'd have to encorporate it very cleverly to be more than a gimmick but less than an annoyance.

cthellis42

I agree, I see this kind of technology as far better for a virtual reality helmet/visor then for a normal style controller. Although it does also have other uses, like a minority report kind of control system.

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm playing games my wife catches me trying to use my head to look around corners or move my arms or hands to control the game. If they could actually translate those body movements into controlling the game that would be really cool. Yes, provided it works properly. I'm sure I would want try that out.

Tommy McClain

Yes, those are cool ideas, but getting them work well might be difficult.
They would work well if you were sitting very still and only moving when you want the movement to transfer into the game.
But in reality, you'll be making movements with your head, hands... that you really don't want the device to register.
For example, I often stretch my neck from side to side during playing a game, the motion sensor device would understand that I want to look around a corner.

A gyroscope in controller might work though, as the movements you do with your hands while holding a controller tend to be more intentional and related to the game.

For example, I often stretch my neck from side to side during playing a game, the motion sensor device would understand that I want to look around a corner.

If the device works as it should that would just register by changing you're view just as it would in real life when you move you're head side to side.

Teasy said:

If the device works as it should that would just register by changing you're view just as it would in real life when you move you're head side to side.

Yeah that's what i thought. Like in real life, u only stretch your neck when u're not actually performing something that needs your head to look straight. Which it won't anyway in rabid's case but that's another discussion.

the view in game would turn, and go back immediately after you're finished the stretching, like you do in real life. You obviously wouldn't do that while trying to defeat a 19feet monster with swords and guns.

rabidrabbit said:
I often stretch my neck from side to side during gameplay quite subconciously, when I do in fact want to look around a corner. :LOL:

You are kidding when you say the RE4 looks better than anything on XBOX right??? I'd rate DOA Ultimate, Halo 2 and Riddick above RE4 and I have the game.

RE4 > Any of those games.

No bump mapping. I bet if the shadowing and lighting was dropped it could have had bump mapping, assuming the cube had enough memory for it. But what point is there in bump mapping without good lighting?

Actually, there's reflective bump mapping in the game. It is used for some enemies and is most apparent on bosses. I could post pics (although they would be heavy spoilers)

I don't think I've yet seen more than 3 or 4 light sources on screen at once.

What about the villagers torches?

Eagle-Vision said:
Actually, there's reflective bump mapping in the game. It is used for some enemies and is most apparent on bosses. I could post pics (although they would be heavy spoilers)

Just post links to the pictures and put spoiler warnings.

Eagle-Vision said:

RE4 > Any of those games.

No bump mapping. I bet if the shadowing and lighting was dropped it could have had bump mapping, assuming the cube had enough memory for it. But what point is there in bump mapping without good lighting?

I don't think I've yet seen more than 3 or 4 light sources on screen at once.

What about the villagers torches?

You've seen more than a few at a time?

Back