General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Would they even use this same spec NAND for datacenters or is that entirely focused on SAN drives with obscenely excessive specs? Where they would likely load from a central mapped location and only have a small amount of local storage?

Pricing could be the result of a contract covering multiple products.

Do they even need a controller if the onboard one can handle it? Would save some cost.

You'll need something something to interface with the flash on the other side of the PCIe bus, yeah.

Another good reason for going with a fairly modest, low power controller especially as they've taken so much work off its hands.

So any third party can make and sell products for the slot or do they have to license from MS?

They officially haven't said yet. Just that it was "built in partnership with Seagate". One would assume as it is a custom slot, Microsoft would want a third-party to license it in order to officially market it as a drive for the Series X. The same for any compatible accessory that has been sold for the Xbox One or older machines. Could somebody figure out how to make one & sell a clone of it without licensing it? It wouldn't surprise me. If the drive doesn't have a controller that might be nigh impossible though. Will be interesting to see a teardown of it.

Tommy McClain

Not sure if this is the thread for it but...think Series X can run Flight Simulator at 4k?

It benches with a 5700XT at 4k at 20 FPS Ultra settings. 2080Ti=35 FPS. I believe the series X GPU should get that to solid 30 in theory. Which all reviews say 30 is good for this game.

But basically we already have a game next gen will struggle with and it's not out yet LOL. The rat race never ends.

Would definitely prefer playing it with the PS5 controller though. And come to think of it, with PSVR support. But a PS5 release is probably unlikely ... pity.

Looked at Amazon & 1tb m.2 2242 modules are running $149-$159. Couldn't find any prices on the smaller m.2 2230 modules. NewEgg has a 256gb M.2 2230 module for $59.

Seems a little too good be true, but it's 3 months away?

Tommy McClain
Thats retail price. It includes the sellers, Amazon's and the manufacturer's profit plus all associated costs.

Last edited:
The graphics are next generation at times, not really when close to the ground i think. For realism, i'l stick to DCS, nothing has done the 16 better so far, aside from the real simulator, ofcourse.

They'll also have no DRAM and likely to be QLC NAND. The Phison E19T they're probably using is also relatively new and cheap (it's been used in Project Scarlett, according a Phison engineer on Linked In https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7010...ss-pcie-4-nvme-up-3-7gb-sec-speeds/index.html)
It seems possible that QLC is used, although I still worry about performance consistency in that case. When QLC drives falter, they sometimes get uncomfortably close to HDD performance, particularly if they're cheap.

It seems possible that QLC is used, although I still worry about performance consistency in that case. When QLC drives falter, they sometimes get uncomfortably close to HDD performance, particularly if they're cheap.

Does that really matter when these are mostly 99.99% read vs write operations?

Quick Resume will do a good amount of writing, and Game Pass encourages rotating through things faster than you otherwise might. Quick Resume might not be able to be moved off the internal drive. Otherwise it's not a huge deal if the expansion cards are cheap enough. Just run off of one of those if you start getting performance degradation.

Cheap QLC drives can have significant latency and bandwidth degradation in cases like when the drive is near full, or if there are bursts of mixed traffic. Write endurance could be mostly fine, depending on how heavily applications are being swapped or recording writes back.
Another concern that may influence performance and may apply to expansion drives is the drift of stored logic levels over time, which is significantly worse with QLC due to the much lower noise margin between the higher number of levels. Drives that have experienced this in the past displayed very poor performance consistency and abrupt latency spikes.
The presumed countermeasure is periodic rewrites of the drive in those cases, but an expansion drive that's not plugged in is likely to spend more time unpowered than the built-in drive.
Aging or accesses on the same shared lines may also influence performance, depending on how the drive compensates for sources of drift that are worse with QLC.

Whether or not the custom drives in the consoles make the same mistakes as other drives of this type is not yet known, but even long-standing SSD vendors have periodic foul-ups like this. The next-gen consoles explicitly leverage the bandwidth and latency advantages in a way that the PC market has not, which may be more noticeable since flaky SSDs tend to be more tolerated by PC games built assuming there's a good chance there's a spinning HDD.

this might be better in the general rumours thread, nothing technical for us to talk about unfortunately. He's not providing technical tidbits as to why they have issues.

We know why they have issues. The major specs are known. Heavier optimizations are to be expected on ps5 on the graphical front.

Just gonna lob this grenade in here:

Isn't this the guy who already admitted he was bothered that the popular opinion was too tilted towards the PS5, repeated this Resident Evil 8 crap in several social media platforms until he got some attention and then lost his mod position at resetera as a result?

And he now starts his twitter rant with "I resisted talking about this for a long time"? Seems to me that he has a lot of trouble resisting not talking about this.

Isn't this the guy who already admitted he was bothered that the popular opinion was too tilted towards the PS5, repeated this Resident Evil 8 crap in several social media platforms until he got some attention and then lost his mod position at resetera as a result?

And he now starts his twitter rant with "I resisted talking about this for a long time"? Seems to me that he has a lot of trouble resisting not talking about this.
He didn't want to be a mod, it turns out, it had nothing to do with his tweets.

ps; i'm not saying what he's saying is accurate. I'm just correcting that one point. I've no clue what he's talking about. None of it makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Back