General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

If there is an online component I don’t expect load times to just zap away.

Why not? If you can quickly resume in a few seconds. Why should the initial load of a console game be any different?

If games can quickly load from a save state then why not have a default save state as part of the install? The default save state is the beginning of the game.
Interesting notion. You'd need a save state for every level of the game. Take Uncharted - every episode is different assets which needs to be constructed into the game world. That could be 3 GBs of assets loaded assembled into 8 GBs of data with 2 GBs of render targets using Pie-In-The-Sky figures. If you create a starting snapshot of that system state, that'd be an extra 10+ GB of dumped RAM for every level. That's 22 chapters, so 200 GBs on top of the game data.

I guess that's why you can't. ;) For open world games where you just start, perhaps it would work, and they're the greatest offenders.

That said, I don't think that's any prepared policy and even if possible, we shouldn't take 2 seconds tops next generation load times as a given. If you were designing a console now based on what devs are doing now and the games they'll release, suspend/resume still makes a lot more sense than relying on every game loading in such a short time.

If next gen a game loads in 3 seconds and another loads in 30 that would be much more noticeable to the user so maybe loading will get more effort put into optimising it.
Bloodborne was optimised because people complained, but generally speaking it's not as if anyone will refuse to buy a game while the load times are high. If it's easy changes to make, devs will adopt it themselves as ideas progress, but if it's a lot of work, it'll take time for the culture to change. There's already soooo much work to do developing a game, adding a few more luxuries is asking more than some devs can give.

If there is an online component I don’t expect load times to just zap away.
How come? If loads are gone, load times are gone. That's not going to eliminate lobby times and everybody's gears and skills taking time to transfer if one or more folks have a slow connection. But they're not load times.

How come? If loads are gone, load times are gone. That's not going to eliminate lobby times and everybody's gears and skills taking time to transfer if one or more folks have a slow connection. But they're not load times.
Yea it’s just that. Lobby times will still be present. Slow connections etc.
For single player games this will be a massive step up. For MP games removal of load times will be a big deal still. But it’s not going to go the same distance of impact as single player titles just because of the online sync

Yea it’s just that. Lobby times will still be present. Slow connections etc. For single player games this will be a massive step up. For MP games removal of load times will be a big deal still. But it’s not going to go the same distance of impact as single player titles just because of the online sync
Not waiting while gigabytes of map and textures is loading is going to be a significant enhancement. If everybody in your party has decent internet, it should be virtually zero loading times.

Then cross-platform multiplayer will be hated and rejected once again, everyone waiting for PC gamers to spend five minutes loading only to whip everyone's butts with KBM!

Lol, some games do really load in minutes, before when i was on a HDD BF4 took long enough for me to load that most players already had begun capturing some flags. Up to BF4 atleast, the game doesn't wait for slower loaders. In BF2 times, i had a two WD velocity raptor's in raid (believe they where 37gb each). With this i was able to secure the jet every damn round. It's something with battlefield and long load times, BF2 wasnt an exception, loading a map for the first time there....

To equalize gameplay games should wait untill everyone's loaded. The guy thats going to have to wait for the others might be the one with an insane optane raid setup :p

Oh and that's a good thing KB/M doesn't get in the same pool. I have tried XIM4 on PS4, you do have an advantage over controller users but something is off with it.

This explains a lot...

:)

It's basically a hardware-cheat that's impossible to detect, you do have an advantage, but still, something is off with it. Yes you can adjust sensetivity, but it's abit like the usb mouse in red faction/HL1 on PS2.

It's basically a hardware-cheat that's impossible to detect, you do have an advantage, but still, something is off with it. Yes you can adjust sensetivity, but it's abit like the usb mouse in red faction/HL1 on PS2.

I know what it is.

One would imagine sony already has samples of nvme drives they are internally testing. It's just that sony can't speak of them until manufacturers release their new ridiculously fast(and expensive) drives later this year. It's unlikely sony would be surprised by the heat those drives produce.

Probably sony also has some way of communicating back to samsung&co if their nvme drives quite don't work well enough and help them create better firmware for nvme ssd's. That would also benefit pc side though pc folks are more used to sporadic behavior from hw. It's quite likely ps5 will eventually cause a lot of ssd's to be sold and that would be good market for samsung&co to cater to.

I was more referring to where you said if a console that was hotter would have worse performance than the devs coded for.
oh, the devs would have to be told ahead of time if there is throttling. That's easy to account for then for them. Problem solved. The only thing is that marketed numbers aren't translating to real game numbers. Just very good for loading for instance.

I just want to know.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to buy PS5. (DLSS2.0 has sold me to go PC route for Xbox) If they never release more information, I'm going to wait for a revision to ensure all the issues are addressed by it. If the information is out there, I will look it over and perhaps just make a choice on price.

Then they should guarantee the bandwidth if it's so trivial.

Completely agree with you.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to buy PS5. (DLSS2.0 has sold me to go PC route for Xbox) If they never release more information, I'm going to wait for a revision to ensure all the issues are addressed by it. If the information is out there, I will look it over and perhaps just make a choice on price.

With PS it mostly have been best served to buy one closer to the end of its lifespan, when more exclusives are out there. Thing is for me, that aint so many anymore, studios cant/dont release so many big aaa games due to cost and time consuming. Bought a ps4 for maybe 4/5 games, over a 7 year lifespan. Most are SP so not many hours total. It was different with ps2, where we had much more exclusives. That and nowadays more and more sony titles appear on pc, my main platform. Il wait and see what happens some years in.

Yea it’s just that. Lobby times will still be present. Slow connections etc.
For single player games this will be a massive step up. For MP games removal of load times will be a big deal still. But it’s not going to go the same distance of impact as single player titles just because of the online sync

For MP it might even be extremely annoying at least for Cross generation/platform titles. In case of Destiny when I start a strike it happens a lot that I have to wait at some stupid transparent wall because I arrived faster(probably due X1X+SSD) than the other team members. Now imagine that scaled from XSX/PS5, PC to X1S/PS4 without SSD

For MP it might even be extremely annoying at least for Cross generation/platform titles. In case of Destiny when I start a strike it happens a lot that I have to wait at some stupid transparent wall because I arrived faster(probably due X1X+SSD) than the other team members. Now imagine that scaled from XSX/PS5, PC to X1S/PS4 without SSD
This was the actual scenario I was thinking about without talking about it LOL. Waiting for crucible is forevrrrrr

Back