Gears of War 4 [XO, XPA]

Some (but not all) of the Game Informer article screens are now on their website

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g.../2016/03/11/exclusive-screenshot-gallery.aspx

edit: nvm they updated the site with full res screens

screenshot_environment_church_interior_final.jpg

gameplay_storm_wall_final.jpg

http://media1.gameinformer.com/file...hotgallery/originals/render_juvie_closeup.jpg
http://media1.gameinformer.com/file...tgallery/originals/render_execution_final.jpg
http://media1.gameinformer.com/file...hotgallery/originals/gameplay_vault_final.jpg

I like them colors :yep2:

Huh. I dont mind 30 FPS at all. Cant tell the difference unless played back to back.

Yeah I no longer need to play them back to back to notice. Since everything I play now is 60 FPS, it's extremely painful if I have to try something at 30 fps. When I was still doing a lot of console gaming and hence a lot of 30 FPS gaming, I was used to it. So 60 FPS was just better, but I was used to 30 FPS so it was "OK". Now 60 FPS is normal for me, which means 30 FPS is just absolutely horrendous both visually and with regards to control.

But at least the good thing is that more and more console games are making their way to PC. Even if they are delayed, but that's cool because I still have a HUGE backlog of games from Steam sales that I haven't had a chance to play.

Regards,
SB

Two of the game informer screens say "render" in the screenshot url (and one is noted as a render on the webpage). So, yeah, those are renders. And I guess the others are supposed gameplay (cleaned up bullshots of course)

The others say screenshot or gameplay.

There's a few more screens in the mag I assume they'll get around to posting. I think they're dribbling them out.

Nothing remarkable there but at least it doesn't look like a terrible mess like Halo 5 .

Yeah I no longer need to play them back to back to notice. Since everything I play now is 60 FPS, it's extremely painful if I have to try something at 30 fps. When I was still doing a lot of console gaming and hence a lot of 30 FPS gaming, I was used to it. So 60 FPS was just better, but I was used to 30 FPS so it was "OK". Now 60 FPS is normal for me, which means 30 FPS is just absolutely horrendous both visually and with regards to control.

But at least the good thing is that more and more console games are making their way to PC. Even if they are delayed, but that's cool because I still have a HUGE backlog of games from Steam sales that I haven't had a chance to play.

Regards,
SB
You should consider treating your ailment. A few sessions of expansion-pack-enhanced N64 games and you'll never complain about 30fps ever again :LOL:

Last edited:
Really love the look of it, nice colors, nice lighting (finally get to see Gears in HDR), fantastic monster design, crispy iq, yeah so far so good.

To be honest the initial footage left me unimpressed, it was too dark and you could barely see anything (which probably was the point) but the latest images look very nice. I still need to see more but i like the art direction so far.

These are obviously bullshots, but it sure gives an idea. The assets, effects and colors are top

The lighting is pretty advanced, at least for a gears of war game, it looks to be realtime this time instead of baked like the previous titles.
If this game Xbox One only, or is there some kind of Tomb Raider-deal in place where the game will be on 360 as well (although with lower resolution graphics, although Tomb Raider on 360 was excellent)

gameplay_vault_final.jpg

Xbox One only I'm 99.99999% sure without googling.
Which it certainly needs to be, and will help it look better. At this point I think 360 ports are pretty thing of the past.

Xbox One only I'm 99.99999% sure without googling.
Which it certainly needs to be, and will help it look better. At this point I think 360 ports are pretty thing of the past.

Tomb raider looked amazing on 360. It even had better, more responsive controls or something. Gears of war could certainly work on 360: the AI is always rather simplistic, it takes place in small, enclosed environments which as non-retransversable (you could never go back to the previous, enclosed environment), there are some 3d skyboxes of the environment sometimes, but only in on-rails segments will you cover a lot of distance 'in 1 load'. As a matter of fact, this game looks like they started on 360, but then upped the resolution and added real time lighting.

I highly doubt the formula of the game, and how the levels are broken up into small segments, will change. So I think we can expect a 360 version. Also: gears of war has never used HDR lighting, as per the tech documents

A 360 port of the game is not even technically possible iirc, they are using Unreal Engine 4 which afaik doesn't natively support X360 or Ps3 development.

UE4 supports mobile phones if I am not mistaken
It does. But UE4 not natively supporting PS3 and Xbox 360 isn't a power issue, but rather a choice, because last-gen wasn't their focus. You can still use the engine to build a game for last-gen, you just have to implement all the necessary compiling stuff yourself.

it looks to be realtime this time instead of baked like the previous titles.

mm.................. something something static image.

If anything, you've made me realize how weird those lamps look on the wall because they're probably baked.

No they don't, more like MDR.
* FP10 to be more precise, a far cry from FP16 and no tone mapping either.
FP10 might not be the highest precision available but it definately counts as HDR. Tonemapping is present also, as in any HDR-enabled game.

Perhaps what you meant to say is that it's good to finally see Gears in linear space, filmic tonemapped FP16 HDR.

Back