GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issue with TW3 is that it's pre-PBR game and no matter how much RT you put on top of that it would still look like a pre-PBR game.
I think it does use PBR materials, just very inconsistently. The update improves them greatly but of course not on par with newer games.

The PC version transforms with RT.

RT does wonders for Witcher, but if that game felt late-to-the party with PBR at its release, it feels doubly so now. Next-gen lighting over last-last-gen materials. Feels like a hyper-detailed PS3 game.

I dont know why people praising UE5.1 so much.

Not up to debate which looks better (these things may be individual), however i think you do know why its praised so much. Its quite funny though that minecraft and fortnite are now one of the most praised games technically.

One being better than the other doesn't mean the other one is trash.

Both implementations in both games are incredible technical feats. Both have a massive effect on the visuals of each game over their traditional rendering modes.

Finally, let's not sit around and act like Fortnite is displaying Unreal Engine's capabilities to it's fullest. There will be games with much better, more realistic visuals, with better implementations of both Nanite and Lumen than Fortnite has... and The Witcher 3's RT implementation ends here.

Does it though? RTXGI will be used in future projects. It can in fact be used in UE5.
Yes, it does for The Witcher specifically, as I said. Compare game to game all you want... but the point is that the implementations and performance will vary game by game in the future. Just like you wouldn't look at a crappy looking UE game and say "Unreal Engine is crappy"... you shouldn't do that here either. Fortnite's implementation is not the be all and end all. Neither is The Witcher 3's as you said..

So my original point stands that both games are technically doing impressive things.. you can prefer which you want, but it doesn't mean that one form is better than the other as fact.

A good video showcasing some of the crazy good things you can do with Path Tracing in Portal RTX.

The dynamic lighting from dozens of emissive textures is next level stuff. It really drives home how “video gamey” lighting has been up to this point. It’ll take another generation or two for this stuff to be pervasive but it’s so cool to see it in action already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back