GART: Games and Applications using RayTracing

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the 2 biggest games of this year will have ray tracing. Vampire masquerade bloodlines2 and cyberpunk2077. That said, my 1080ti is good enough that I don't feel the urge to upgrade at the moment. 1080ti has been so very good for me. Another issue is that I still have old 4core cpu and I doubt it would be fast enough and I don't feel like upgrading mobo+cpu+... until I really have to.

Most likely my gaming upgrade this year is to get ps5 for sony exclusives. xbox stuff I can run on pc. Having a monitor with variable refresh rate has been gamechanger for me.

Not good. That's pathetic. You're like Nvidia's marketing lovechild.
I grow more and more frustrated with the marketing prevalence here.
It's no one's but your own if your eyes are failing you. Unless you enjoy your continued trolling of Nvidia.

In the context of the conversation, it was regarding RT features that were locked to Turing cards only. And in the course of that conversation, pharma inferred that it's RTX or Turing only. So I wanted to know why it was implied when there was nothing in the tweet or the video to indicate as such.
There is a chance that a DXR implementation will be locked to Turing(+) cards only, due to using vendor detect lock or some NVAPI features alongside DXR. It's fairly small though since why would anyone do this?
And as for VKRT it's hard to tell how it will work since there is no generic VKRT extension for now and it's impossible to know how current NV's VKRay extension will map to the future cross-vendor extension. There's a chance that other vendors will able to support current NV's VKRay.

Note that I fully expect that even in case where some currently available RT implementation will just work on non-Turing h/w it will likely require some patching and tweaking on part of the developer, if only to better fit the performance capabilities of future RT h/w.

I have a question I think it's the right place for it
what does configureRT.exe do (i'm assuming the RT is for raytracing)
it listed in my firewall as c:\program files (x86)\VulkanRT\1.0.65.1\configureRT.exe although when I look in that folder it isnt there.

it listed in my firewall as c:\program files (x86)\VulkanRT\1.0.65.1\configureRT.exe although when I look in that folder it isnt there.
I think it's part of the Nvidia driver Vulkan installation and gets removed after installation is complete.
On top of that, we've been having some discussions internally in Khronos about reworking the runtime installer to work better with driver installs. As part of that, the ConfigureRT.exe file should get removed, which would have the side effect of fixing this issue.
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers/issues/2335

It's not for raytracing, but for runtime I think.
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers/tree/master/windowsRuntimeInstaller
The Vulkan Runtime Installer installs the Vulkan loader as
C:\Windows\System32\vulkan-<version>.dll. It then runs the
program ConfigureRT.exe (the source for which is included), that
compares versions of the loader in C:\Windows\System32 that have
the same VERSION_ABI_MAJOR as the version being installed. The
script selects the most recent one of these loader files and
copies it to C:\Windows\System32\vulkan-<VERSION_ABI_MAJOR>.dll.
For example, during the install of Vulkan Runtime version 2.0.1.1,
the following files might be present in C:\Windows\System32:

vulkan-1-1-0-2-3.dll
vulkan-1-2-0-1-0.dll
vulkan-1-2-0-1-1.dll

[Note that the first "1" in the above files is VERSION_ABI_MAJOR.
The other numbers identify the release version.] The script
will copy the most recent one of these files (in this case
vulkan-1-2-0-1-1.dll) to vulkan-1.dll. This is repeated for
C:\Windows\SYSWOW64 on 64-bit Windows systems to set up the
32-bit loader.

Downloadable DXR version released in September 2019.

http://www.rigidgems.sakura.ne.jp/index_en.html
Rigid Gems said:
RigidGems is a real-time high quality gem demo. You can watch various gems, rings on a real time.
  • Internal reflection simulation
  • Physics simulation by particle method
  • Interacting with interactive objects
  • Camera simulation
  • Original Post Effect
  • HDR10 display support
  • DirectX Raytracing(DXR)support

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/minecraft-with-rtx-beta-begins-april-16/

NVIDIA said:
Mark your calendars, the Minecraft with RTX Beta for Windows 10 launches in just two days, on April 16th, 2020! Minecraft with RTX brings fully path-traced rendering, physically-based materials, and NVIDIA DLSS 2.0 to Minecraft, delivering bleeding-edge visual fidelity and realism that can be experienced on all GeForce RTX GPUs.

This beta will launch with 6 RTX Creator Worlds, downloadable for free from the in-game Minecraft Marketplace, that demonstrate the full capabilities of Minecraft with RTX’s new technology.

Minecraft with RTX’s Path-Traced Effects, In-Depth
As we’ve mentioned, Minecraft with RTX’s worlds are almost entirely path-traced, with lighting and effects featuring unprecedented levels of detail, for the very best image quality possible. If you yearn to know more, and love to geek out about under the hood tech, here’s a rundown of all the major effects.

Global Illumination

Games are traditionally illuminated by precomputed lightmaps, Image-Based Light Probes, Spherical Harmonics, and Reflective Shadow Maps, plus artist-placed lights to help force illumination where the aforementioned techniques fail. And while the results look great, the techniques used have several shortcomings, the biggest of which being that dynamic lighting fails to bounce or illuminate beyond the area that the light hit.

For example, imagine a dark room with bright light shining through a window. With traditional techniques, everything that is directly hit by the light is illuminated, but the illuminated areas themselves do not bounce light, and do not illuminate surrounding game elements, when in reality they would.

With path tracing, we can accurately model the dynamic indirect diffuse lighting reflected by one or more indirect bounces off of surfaces in the scene, and have it interact and interplay with other ray-traced effects. Imagine, for instance, sunlight beaming into a castle through multicolored stained-glass window blocks, refracting, illuminating all corners of the room, reflecting off the shiny marble floor, and brightening surrounding detail, causing new contact hardening shadows to be cast from objects.

Underground, light beams in, illuminating the darkness, but only to a point - once the light dissipates, make sure you’re carrying a torch or the Creepers will get you! (click to load an interactive RTX ON-OFF comparison)

The results are jaw-dropping, and give us a preview of how all games will eventually be rendered.

Reflections

In Minecraft with RTX, path tracing adds ray traced reflections throughout each world, allowing us to reflect every detail, every mob and NPC, and every other visual effect, for pixel-perfect reflections. And using the PBR texturing system, we can vary the level of reflectivity on different blocks, allowing for a wide range of looks, giving us perfect mirrors, smooth water-based reflections, and surfaces with rough and coarse reflectivity.

Inside, PBR textures subtly reflect light from wall to wall, further improving image quality and immersion (click to load an interactive RTX ON-OFF comparison)

With path-traced reflections, not only do you see more detail and information, you experience improved lighting, realism, immersion, and visual fidelity.

Shadows

With our unified path tracing lighting model in Minecraft with RTX, every aspect of each world realistically and naturally casts shadows, and is shaded and darkened by shadows cast upon them. Shadows soften and harden depending on the distance from the shadow caster, mobs, NPCs and new blocks block light and cast new shadows, and newly-placed light sources (torches, illuminated blocks, et cetera) cast new light that creates new dynamic shadows, and affects existing shadows and shading. Most impressive of all, every single leaf in a tree’s leaf block casts its own individual shadow, adding truly wondrous shadow detail to your worlds.

Per-Pixel Emissive Lighting

All torches and light-emitting blocks in Minecraft with RTX have been upgraded with per pixel emissive lighting. This enables each pixel of these items to emit uniquely colored light that affects their surroundings, best demonstrated by our special disco blocks that display various rainbow colors on an 8x8 grid on each face of each block:

Atmospheric Effects

Path tracing introduces new atmospheric effects to Minecraft, enabling players to build and experience worlds with mist and fog, illuminated by sunlight and moonlight, or the occasional torch or lantern, as seen in movies.

Transparency Reflection, Refraction and Scattering

As path tracing follows each individual light ray until it dissipates, we can apply immersive and realistic reflection, refraction and scattering to transparencies, such as stained glass, water, and ice. Using these features, you can create ice palaces illuminated exclusively by the sun and moon, and cathedrals with stained glass murals that fill the interior with colored light as the sun beams through.

These naturally occurring effects can noticeably affect your perception when looking through bodies of water:

And we’ve even modelled Snell’s Window, “a phenomenon by which an underwater viewer sees everything above the surface through a cone of light of width of about 96 degrees. This phenomenon is caused by refraction of light entering water, and is governed by Snell's Law. The area outside Snell's window will either be completely dark or show a reflection of underwater objects by total internal reflection.”
minecraft-with-rtx-beta-imagination-island-snells-window-003-rtx-on-850px.jpg

hmmm.. impressive..

Beyond that, Nvidia’s also partnered with creators to roll out not one, not two, but six free RTX-enabled maps available for the beta’s launch. You can find them by searching for “ray tracing” in the Minecraft marketplace. They are:

“Of Temples & Totems” by Razzleberries
“Imagination Island” by Blockworks
“Crystal Palace” by GeminiTay
“Aquatic Adventure” by Dr_Bond
“Color, Light, & Shadow” by Pearlescent Moon
“Neon District” by Elysium Fire
https://www.pcworld.com/article/353...eal-time-ray-tracing-is-coming-this-week.html

But there is more difference than just 2x, and benchmarks only looking at FPS miss to show this.

If we do RT and integrate multiple samples from neighboring pixels, reducing render resolution also reduces sample count at the same solid angle. We get some options to compensate:
* Make denoising filter kernel twice as large (default if we don't care about render res.): Results become more blurry and inaccurate.
* Do more samples per pixel: Loosing the advantage of upscaling.
* Increase 'duration' of temporal accumulation: We get more lag.

So, saying DLSS makes it two times faster is not the whole story.
I expect FPS to become more and more useless, or at least an incomplete performance metric. Hard times for customers to compare performance across GPU vendors, and new challenges for tech journalists.
Probably the latter ones should start to pay attention so they can give at least some subjective impressions. Upscaling may also affect low frequency accuracy and lag. If those things are already noticeable in current games (IDK), it's an intersting topic anyways.

So, saying DLSS makes it two times faster is not the whole story.
I expect FPS to become more and more useless, or at least an incomplete performance metric. Hard times for customers to compare performance across GPU vendors, and new challenges for tech journalists.
I don't think anything will change. People look at the box before buying and this hasn't changed. Infact, I'd say it's gotten more honest over time, as the separation between vertical slice and release is getting closer together.
With respect to Minecraft people can see what they are getting, and it's entirely up to them to judge if they want to be blown away by it. And if so, then frame rate becomes a metric that matters to them. We've been doing this since Apple II, and we'll likely continue on this path I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back