Gaming in 8K and Beyond

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by snc, Jan 26, 2019.

1. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

That game is called 'There is only flesh', designed by P. Innhead.

2. ultragpu

Legend Veteran

No we already have a game called The Evil Within 2.
    [​IMG]

3. pharma

Veteran Regular

Control Tested at 8K: NVIDIA TITAN RTX Uses 18GB of VRAM
    https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/9131/control-tested-8k-nvidia-titan-rtx-uses-18gb-vram/index.html

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

5. milk

Veteran Regular

An interesting observation from the comment section at the above link:

This had not yet come to my attention, and is a valid point. I still believe that with proper scalers, we should not need absolute perfect integer ratios to reproduce lower resolutions, but scalling acuracy and quality have long been a traditional oversight of manufacturers, so the fact the display's phisical properties themselves make a fuck up harder is still a welcome feature.

BRiT likes this.
  6. Kyyla

Veteran

I just bought a 4k 65" tv. Its damn huge. Too big really and ugly as hell. Still, looking from my couch 3 meters from the screen 1080p is indistinguishable from 4k. And I have great visual acuity (I know because I'm an eye doc).

8k just seems so pointless..

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I remember on first seeing HD content that it didn't look much different from SDTV and we used to rent SD versions as a bit cheaper. Now SD looks really low res and blurry. Maybe give it time and perhaps your perception will adjust?

Dr Evil likes this.
  8. Xbat

Regular Newcomer

I don't want to be that guy but at 65 inches I can definitely tell the difference between 4k and 1080p, I do sit more like 2.5m away though.

For me 1080p became noticeable at 48inches and bigger. I can see 8k being overkill at anything under 80inches

Dr Evil likes this.
  9. Kyyla

Veteran

Sure and I can tell too if I sit closer. I dont though so what's the point? Even 4k seems pretty pointless to me. No I'm not going to move to a smaller house just so I can appreciate 4k and I'll definitely not buy an even bigger telly. Even this one is hideous and ruins any living room.

10. Kyyla

Veteran

I'm not a toddler or an idiot or new to high res content. I use a 1440p 144hz monitor. There are limits to human perception. People should look at content, not the amount of pixels, or in the case of computer graphics use the flops for something more useful like higher fps or better lightning.

11. Tkumpathenurpahl

Veteran Newcomer

You seem cranky. Maybe you should have a nap.

12. Entropy

Veteran

Well, you have a point, obviously.
    But people use their screens in different ways - a way of looking at 8k is to liken it to cell phones. Nobody gives a damn about cell phone resolutions anymore, because it is enough. To my mind, 8k screens is about removing output resolution as a limitation. It's about creating a canvas where what you see is determined by the input material, rather than limitations in the screen. Note: This requires advances in colour gamut, frame rates and so on as well. But we can remove resolution as a limitation right now, so, well, lets do that. And since we need the bandwidth anyway, if that means we can allocate it to 240Hz at 4k if we please, that would be great.
    (My own interest is basically in replacing the slide projectors of yore, without having to care about staying out of the beam. And rollable screens are also real right now, and might be a solution to having a big black hole in your living room. And by the way, I use a 1440p monitor too, and the 2880p monitors the iMacs have used for the last few years are just better. A lot better. Check them out.)

#72 Entropy, Sep 6, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
    Dr Evil and BRiT like this.
  13. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

I didn't suggest you were. Human perception is a curious thing though and I had exactly the same response with HD content as you - "I don't see the difference." And then one day, I could, and it was sharper, and I wouldn't want to ever go back. So I repeat, you may find your brain adapts and you start to notice the difference swapping between 4K and 1080p content.

Incidentally, is your 1080p content your comparing 4K to being upscaled? Or is it being pixel-doubled?

14. dobwal

Veteran

The optimal viewing distance for a 65 inch TV at 1080p is around 10 feet. The optimal distance for 4K and 65 inch is more like 5-6 feet. I guess for 8K it will drop to 2-3 feet. I guess when we get to post 16K you are going to be required to gently lay your face sideways against the screen.

LOL

#74 dobwal, Sep 7, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    milk likes this.
  15. Kyyla

Veteran

I really don't know anything about the post processing going on.

16. Kyyla

Veteran

Yeah, sorry about that. Better now.

17. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Well that in itself is going to make a big difference as you aren't comparing like for like. 1080p upscaled will look better than 1080p native on the same set size. Although that's a good reason not to consider rendering at native 4K if upscaled looks pretty much the same, and that'll be even more the case for 8K.

milk likes this.
  18. seahorsesaw

Newcomer

Don't forget your snickers bar next time.

dobwal likes this.
  19. Kyyla

Veteran

Don't be mean now.

20. Mihailjones

Newcomer

I agree, imo even 4k is just waste on tvs, unless it is +65" or sitting really close.

I have 48" 1080p and it is sharp enough from 1.5-2m distance. Would 4k be be sharper, probably, but nothing special.

It is not a bad thing for movies, but for gaming it sucks if next gen will waste 50% of performance to run at 4k.

Kind of like 1080p/60 ultra vs 4k/30/low situation

Best situation would be that every game have at least 1080p/super hyper ultra and 4k/low-high setting.

Better details and lightnings can be easily seen, but that resolution isnt.