Gamedaily: Sony open to PS3 price cuts.

Well if they finish languishing in third place, at least they'll be able to say that they're "forwars thinking"... I mean, they were advertising about the mysterious "third place" even before PS2 launched!

Ok sorry, terrible joke.

:LOL: I found that quite funny actually...

[maven];920248 said:

I read that as a message to Microsoft: If you cut your prices, we will respond. If you hold your fire, we are ready to do so too. I don't think Sony wants to fight a price war with Microsoft in near future, since they can't win. PS3 at $499/$599 vs X360 at $299/$399 is lousy, but $399/$499 vs $229/$319 is worse. And if the Wii goes below $200, it'll start to pressure PS2 sales.

I think Sony will cut the European launch prices though, when market research shows a lack of demand.

Probably no cuts will come from Microsoft until after Halo 3 is released. I don't see them giving up the profit from the sales boost. Then again, they might choose to fire all their guns at once: Halo 3, big price cut, 100g hard-drive, etc. To do massive damage, you know.

Probably no cuts will come from Microsoft until after Halo 3 is released. I don't see them giving up the profit from the sales boost. Then again, they might choose to fire all their guns at once: Halo 3, big price cut, 100g hard-drive, etc. To do massive damage, you know.

Killerrrr Combooooo!!!! [/KI_voice_announcer]

The PS3 will be launched March 23 in France and I already saw today a 100 € rebate offer if you give back your ps2 slim and 2 games. Advertising was in Metro from scoregame.net. I am fairly certain than that offer is made with sony agreement but it is rather unusal to see theses sort of offers almost 2 months before a product launch.

Score Games did the same thing with the Wii pre-launch (bring back either your Cube or your PS2 + some games, get a rebate on Wii).

Sony should be concentrating more on delivery content then oppose to worring about price cuts. They should be giving consumers more reasons to shell out 600 dollars then to make that system more affortable. Face it, they'll lose the pricing factors against their conpetitors no matter what. And so far the PS3 isn't worth it. A lot of games that was said to be ready at launch didn't make it. The PS Online store is very slow in bringing new content and content that consumers would like better.

The PS3 so far is a disaster. However saying it as a failure is premature. Sony better get their heads in gear and do as I say. Game content first. Pricing cuts second.

Sony should be concentrating more on delivery content then oppose to worring about price cuts. They should be giving consumers more reasons to shell out 600 dollars then to make that system more affortable. Face it, they'll lose the pricing factors against their conpetitors no matter what. And so far the PS3 isn't worth it. A lot of games that was said to be ready at launch didn't make it. The PS Online store is very slow in bringing new content and content that consumers would like better.

The PS3 so far is a disaster. However saying it as a failure is premature. Sony better get their heads in gear and do as I say. Game content first. Pricing cuts second.

That's crazy, the PS3 is simply priced way too high currently to make inroads, and sales are reflecting that.

Games will help, but they'll need more.

That's crazy, the PS3 is simply priced way too high currently to make inroads, and sales are reflecting that.

Games will help, but they'll need more.

Meanwhile $2,000 1080P LCDs are selling like mad, yet those same people won't buy a $500 device that give two types of HD content along with media playback? I don't buy it, it's more negativ press and a lull in the session. With the March Euro lanuch and March games the PS3 will get more wind in it's sales.

Meanwhile $2,000 1080P LCDs are selling like mad, yet those same people won't buy a $500 device that give two types of HD content along with media playback? I don't buy it, it's more negativ press and a lull in the session. With the March Euro lanuch and March games the PS3 will get more wind in it's sales.

Selling like mad compared to what? How many units?

According to this weeks media create, PS3 sold 21,000, Xbox 360 8,000, in Japan.

That means PS3 is barely gaining any ground on 360, in a territory that is an absolute 100% lock for Sony.

I dont even know how much more slow sales Sony can even afford. A price cut will spur sales immediatly. Games are a ways off.

Is Sony ever again going to have a good run of PR? I mean, jesus this is ridiculous. :cry: Does anyone know of a better way to dry up PS3 sales when the console is widely criticized for being too pricey than to suggest you're considering a price cut in the nearish future? Don't suggest it; do it when you're ready. This is PR 101 stuff they're tripping over. :???:

I think a lot of people who are buying the LCDs could care less about hd it is the nice form factor and status symbol that sells it. I bet a lot of them don't even spend the 10 bucks a month for the hd cable or satelite package. Also I think a lot of the LCD sales are the sub 1000 dollar panels like my father bought. He is just happy with regular DVDs and his regular satelite package. You are asking a lot people to spend 50% more to upgrade to HD-movie player plus more expenisve media. Then you will have the kids video game time dominating the families nice new TV instead of in the kids play room like most people have it right now.

Selling like mad compared to what? How many units?

According to this weeks media create, PS3 sold 21,000, Xbox 360 8,000, in Japan.

That means PS3 is barely gaining any ground on 360, in a territory that is an absolute 100% lock for Sony.

Barely gaining any ground, while sellling almost 3 times as much as MS? Wow... Then what do you consider "gaining ground"?

Besides, Japan hasn't been an absolute 100% lock for Sony for quite a while now, since Nintendo (who everyone seems to be forgetting) woke up from their hibernation...

Most the HD content available to those $2000 HDTVs don't require an investment of $500.00. The majority of TV viewing doesn't revolve around DVDs so why do you think HD content viewing would be any different?

Barely gaining any ground, while sellling almost 3 times as much as MS? Wow... Then what do you consider "gaining ground"?

Besides, Japan hasn't been an absolute 100% lock for Sony for quite a while now, since Nintendo (who everyone seems to be forgetting) woke up from their hibernation...

The PS3 outgaining the 360 at a rate of 500,000 extra units over the next year in japan isn't a big deal especially considering the fact that each manufacturer is pushing to have userbases in the 10 million+ range and the 360 is already ahead by about 8 million units.

This is the same forum where people claimed Sony would sell 1million PS3 in JPN in a single day, and would eaily sell the first 4million they could ship, THAT's gaining ground.

Selling an extra 45k/month more than your competitor is nothing in the big picture. In fact, considering MS sells about 150k/month in EU they are still losing ground...

It's pretty funny you chose to use the 3x argument. When I pointed out initially that 360 sales had spiked, the arguments were "Well 10 x nothing is still nothing!", and now PS3 outselling these 'nothing' sales by 3x is supposed to be impressive?? :???:

Nope, this damage control is weak, not a single member on this board predicted that Sony would be outselling 360 by a mere 3x in JPN weeks after launch, anyone predicting that would've gotten laughed at. 15-30x would be more inline with expectations here.

not a single member on this board predicted that Sony would be outselling 360 by a mere 3x in JPN weeks after launch, anyone predicting that would've gotten laughed at. 15-30x would be more inline with expectations here.

I got laughed at quite a bit for doubting ps3's ability to sell at $600 but even I didn't predict numbers this bad for Japan. Especially considering its selling for ~$400 in Japan.

This is the same forum where people claimed Sony would sell 1million PS3 in JPN in a single day, and would eaily sell the first 4million they could ship, THAT's gaining ground.

Selling an extra 45k/month more than your competitor is nothing in the big picture. In fact, considering MS sells about 150k/month in EU they are still losing ground...

This is ridiculous - to argue that the horrific sales of 360 in Japan are "gaining ground" over the slightly less horrific sales of PS3... It IS gaining ground in a strictly mathematical sense. In a normal market sense, both have surrendered virtually all ground to Nintendo.

Reactions: Geo
Back