Game development presentations - a useful reference

The pptx files? You'll either need the Office 2007 compatibility pack or Office 2007.

I never had the issue may some incorrect files association. Docx dor example are kind of zip files and can be opened with the associated programs, may be pptx are the same, weird containers?

Hmm, that Epic pres on the Gears 2 characters is pretty interesting, although it seems to have some embedded videos that I can't see...

They didn't include the video files on this page. :( I remember seeing the presentation before, but I can't recall if they made the videos available. They certainly did with the Rendering techniques (should be in the GDC vault) but they don't have the vids on this page either.

The presentation itself is some 130 megs, I'd assume the 2-3 dozen jpeg compressed images aren't that big. But the freewave ppt viewer I have won't show any videos...

The presentation itself is some 130 megs, I'd assume the 2-3 dozen jpeg compressed images aren't that big. But the freewave ppt viewer I have won't show any videos...

Because the movie objects are pointing to a file on your harddisk, you probably don't have. (gears2_opening_cinematic.wmv)

If you edit the slides in PP, you'll actually be able to move the slides and uncover those of previous years below it... imagine 10 years worth of powerpoint pictures all in one presentation.. we're lucky it's only 139Megs..

Now I know that Chris' forte isn't making Powerpoints, but it says a lot about work ethos.

edit: the screenshots inside the ppt also aren't JPG's but straight BMPs (ALT-PRTSCR / CTRL-V) I've got one here at 1900x1425.

I think he'll never put "wicked Powerpoint sk1llz" on his resume

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he'll never put "wicked Powerpoint sk1llz" on his resume

I only have a free viewer so I had no idea about these. It's kinda lame, posting this in such format to their website... they should have had some intern go and at least convert stuff into jpegs... Then again, at least they've made it available.

pptx is (the free) OpenOffice, isn't it?

PPTX is OpenOffice+XML .. no guarantee it's compatible between PowerPoint and OO, but it should be.. somewhat.. in a test-lab.
I think they say OpenOffice 3 is "capable" of opening pptx/docx/xlsx files.. but it doesn't say compatible.

Last edited by a moderator:
PPTX is OpenOffice+XML .. no guarantee it's compatible between PowerPoint and OO, but it should be.. somewhat.. in a test-lab.
I think they say OpenOffice 3 is "capable" of opening pptx/docx/xlsx files.. but it doesn't say compatible.
Uppercase "PPTX"? On systems that have case-insensitive filenames?

FWIW "pptx" is opened, by default, by OpenOffice on my Windows machine and it seemed to display the linked slides perfectly... and in fact, my version of PowerPoint (2003!) won't open it at all.**<shrug>

**yes, I suspect there's probably some upgrade/plugin/extension somewhere but why bother looking for it when OpenOffice does it already?

**yes, I suspect there's probably some upgrade/plugin/extension somewhere but why bother looking for it when OpenOffice does it already?

You don't have to look for it, as soon as an Office2003 application opens an Open Document format, you will be guided to microsoft's "2007 compatibility pack"

You don't have to look for it, as soon as an Office2003 application opens an Open Document format, you will be guided to microsoft's "2007 compatibility pack"
Going further OT, I know, all I get is a refusal to open the file.

Guys, .docx, .xlsx, .pptx, etc, are not Open Document Format (ODF) files, they are Microsoft's "Office Open XML" formats. Note that it's "Office Open XML", as in MS Office 2007, the formats are described (at least by MS) as being open, and they use XML. It's not a reference to the "Open Office" suite, which uses ODF (.odt, .ods, .odp, etc.) as its native file format.

The likely reason for your confusion is that the new MS Office 2007 formats are not readable by MS Office 2003 or earlier without a special compatibility pack. OTOH, Open Office (and Apple's iWork suite, and Google Docs) will open MS's 2007 file formats without issue, which is probably why that's the default on your system. To the best of my knowledge, there is no ability for MS Office to open ODF files; the compatibility pack is strictly to allow older versions of Office to open the new 2007 formats.

Back