Gadgets! Microsoft iPod clone pic, a HUGE TV and a Flash-based PC...

WOW!!!!that TV is huge!!! Too bad it's not 1080p :/
atleast the "Zune" now has a better looking design :)
mock-up-wise

EDIT!!! got piccies :)

from this
ms_ipod_clone_1.jpg

to this
zune_mock_up.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, the design of the ZUNE could have been so much better.

I already have an Ipod 30gb video. I wont be touching an M$ player, until it betters Apples next-gen. Which I doubt it will.

To really have captured the imagination and market. If Microsoft had made the screen full length of the player, but then made a sliding mechism with the controls. I.e it pulls down below the screen and shows the controls and when you dont want it again, you push the controls behind the screen.

I forget what device does this already, there are already phones out there, that have a sliding keyboard when you want to use it. So the concept was there and free to use.

If they had better battery life and of course with a full screen. Myself and alot of people would have jumped ship. But now, I doubt anyone will.

Apples next gen is rumoured to have a full length player. If they succeed, they will have my money again. Microsoft will miss out.

Oh and dont talk to me about itunes. I dont buy music online and only use it to sync music between my pc and the player and my collection doesnt update that much either, so much so that im always swapping in tracks.

Maybe micrsoft is right, maybe in 5 years they will get the market. It will take many more attempts to get a really good ipod beater!

IMO, the design of the ZUNE could have been so much better.

I already have an Ipod 30gb video. I wont be touching an M$ player, until it betters Apples next-gen. Which I doubt it will.

To really have captured the imagination and market. If Microsoft had made the screen full length of the player, but then made a sliding mechism with the controls. I.e it pulls down below the screen and shows the controls and when you dont want it again, you push the controls behind the screen.

I forget what device does this already, there are already phones out there, that have a sliding keyboard when you want to use it. So the concept was there and free to use.

If they had better battery life and of course with a full screen. Myself and alot of people would have jumped ship. But now, I doubt anyone will.

Apples next gen is rumoured to have a full length player. If they succeed, they will have my money again. Microsoft will miss out.

Oh and dont talk to me about itunes. I dont buy music online and only use it to sync music between my pc and the player and my collection doesnt update that much either, so much so that im always swapping in tracks.

Maybe micrsoft is right, maybe in 5 years they will get the market. It will take many more attempts to get a really good ipod beater!

You use an iPod without iTunes? You're the first one I've heard of doing that. Nearly every player on the market has more features and does better than the iPod, the only reason I've seen people come up about buying one is either looks or iTunes.

Players like the Zen Vision:M and X5 out do the iPod in so many ways. The iPod has been out paced technology wise since well... the start.

I bought mine for 2 reasons.

[ Listen to music, of course thats a given and doesnt count ]
- To view video clips.
- 30GB Storage.

I dont use itunes to download music, videos or anything else. Just to sync my ipod to my file library, when I get new tracks. Which is rare.

"Nearly every player on the market has more features and does better than the iPod"

Yeah, you say that. But i see no evidence of it.

edit: I bought my ipod video last year, creatives effort is newer and of course is going to improve on things.

My fault with M$ is that I dont see any value or anything better. The wifi will be just too slow to use. Unless its based on the N standard.

I dont really want to derail this thread, but:

Lets look at the Zen Vision:M

- More codec support for both video and audio.
- Longer battery life.
- Included FM Radio.
- Higher quality screen.
- Voice recorder.

Just to name some of its advantages over the iPod.

Several of those have been in players from previous generations, still not included on an iPod.

To note your WiFi. Lol, no. If you're browsing the net in no way will you ever be limited by the current standars such as G by the speed. The connection will be way slower than the bandwidth that these standards offer. Only when sharing files will you possibly max it out, and even then the N standard is being shown to be not as impressive as hoped.

Cant say I care for the looks of the Mylo. Really going in the opposite direction of what it should be.

If there is one real reason why the iPod has success (besides good marketing) is that its a straight forward and easy design. The players that have the most close to grabbing market share have been also very easy to use.

By adding tons of buttons on a media device (i'm talking about the front of the Mylo) is a really bad idea.

- Longer battery life.
- Included FM Radio.
- Higher quality screen.
- Voice recorder.

All those are pretty mute. Apart from the higher quality screen which with the size isnt an issue. Longer battery is a bonus, but how long for music are you going to listen throught the day. Unless you are a bum and are awake 24/7! Unless you will be watching a movie.. but when/where will this be?

So doesnt really beat the Ipod. Unless you are a creative ******?

As for the WiFi. Let me be clear. Its not for browsing the net. Its more for removing the cable and being able to sync with Itunes for music libraries. Do you know how long a 30GB library of movies and music would take on 802.11b? Along time I could tell you.

Give me a player with Wireless USB then I am there.

Like alot of people with an Ipod 30GB. There isnt anything on the market that warrants an upgrade. When there is, I will put my Ipod on ebay and get the latest and greatest!

Sound quality and volume are way better with Zen. And the radio is a nice feature that I use a lot. The battery is exchangable as well.

and yet....
edit: I bought my ipod video last year, creatives effort is newer and of course is going to improve on things.
So you won't be touching a M$ (see what I did there with the $, it means they like money) player unless it is better that a next-gen Apple player but you dismiss a "next-gen" creative because its only better because its newer?

This is a horrible UI idea. Phones that use this method have a tendency to wear out the sliders and their purpose is vastly different than that of a media play (ie: dial numbers compared to be the entire interface). If you notice, (most) phones with the sliders STILL have buttons on the face.

and...
I bought mine for 2 reasons.
[ Listen to music, of course thats a given and doesnt count ]
- To view video clips.
- 30GB Storage.
plus....
- Longer battery life.
- Included FM Radio.
- Higher quality screen.
- Voice recorder.

Several of those have been in players from previous generations, still not included on an iPod.
and yet...
All those are pretty mute. Apart from the higher quality screen which with the size isnt an issue. Longer battery is a bonus, but how long for music are you going to listen throught the day. Unless you are a bum and are awake 24/7! Unless you will be watching a movie.. but when/where will this be?

So doesnt really beat the Ipod. Unless you are a creative ******?
You totally dismiss ALL advantages and then try to make fun of the extended battery life by saying "how could you listen to that much music" when you WANT longer batter life AND you watch videos on your ipod.

As for the WiFi. Let me be clear. Its not for browsing the net. Its more for removing the cable and being able to sync with Itunes for music libraries. Do you know how long a 30GB library of movies and music would take on 802.11b? Along time I could tell you.
and yet...
Give me a player with Wireless USB then I am there.

Who's the "******"?

WOW!!!!that TV is huge!!! Too bad it's not 1080p :/
atleast the "Zune" now has a better looking design :)
mock-up-wise

EDIT!!! got piccies :)

from this
ms_ipod_clone_1.jpg

to this
zune_mock_up.jpg

Is that seriously a pic of the zune? If so I can't belive they actually made it look like WMP.

a688 said:
Who's the "******"?

Nice post! Ipods are, and have been for a very long time, a fashion accessory and nothing more.

I bought one for my gf recently - she cared not about battery life, sound quality, features or any discriminating qualities - the most important criteria was that it was an Ipod.

Nice post! Ipods are, and have been for a very long time, a fashion accessory and nothing more.

I bought one for my gf recently - she cared not about battery life, sound quality, features or any discriminating qualities - the most important criteria was that it was an Ipod.

Exactly. There have been players around that have more features than the iPod for its entire life, "generation" for generation. Yet these players have never gotten any light because they are not named iPod and dont have the marketing budget to compete.

Gotta hand it to Apple, they have one of the best marketing departments, even if they constantly lie, in the industry.

Back