Can The PS3 Save SONY?

I pulled WIRED magazine (9|2006) out of my mailbox yesterday. Buried among the tech-culture jargon was this aptly titled article on Sony. It ponders the company’s future in light of its past. :neutral:

Ironically, the article draws to a close with a couple of paragraphs it probably should have opened with, as they embody its theme and tone.

[size=-2]A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO, Howard Stringer and Ryoji Chubashi, Sony's president, reported to a luxury hotel in Tokyo's Shinagawa district to face 7,200 shareholders at Sony's annual meeting. It was not an enviable assignment. With the company in the red yet again in its most recent quarter, Japanese investors were in an unhappy mood. "I bought shares in mighty Sony," cried a woman whose holdings had lost nearly two-thirds of their value. "What are you going to do about this?"

It was hardly an unexpected question, and Stringer answered as best as he could. Citing runaway ticket sales for Sony Pictures' The Da Vinci Code and the remarkable success of the Bravia digital TV line, he argued that Sony has entered a period of reemergence. But The Da Vinci Code will have no more lasting effect on the bottom line than earlier Sony blockbusters like Spider-Man, and Bravia relies on LCD technology that Sony ignored for years -- until finally it had to partner with its Korean archrival Samsung to get back in the TV business. So while each was good news, they don't add up to a sign that mighty Sony is back.[/size]

Historically, Sony's downfall has been its antiquated philosophy. Hit products were the result of internal competition -- cliques, if you will, jockeying for the attention of executives. But in the digital age, competition has given way to collaboration.

[size=-2]Teams of hardware engineers locked in competition: "It's the principle Sony is built on," says Shin’ichi Okamoto, PlayStation's former CTO, now a Tokyo entrepreneur. "Personally, I believe it's not such a good principle nowadays. I got this impression in the '80s, with the technological shift to semiconductors and software" -- both of which require enormous development teams that collaborate with the hardware units their work is intended for.

Phil Wiser, the former CTO of Sony's US operations, reached a similar conclusion after he was tapped to salvage Sony Connect. "With digital entertainment, you have to think about hardware, software, and services that tie them all together," says Wiser, who managed to heave Sony onto the MP3 bandwagon before leaving earlier this year for a Silicon Valley startup. "But it's very hard to quantify the advantage of good software. If you're in a hardware company and you analyze it from a financial perspective, you just want to do it as cheaply as you can. Software and services are an afterthought."[/size]

From its Cell processor to its Blu-ray disc drive, PlayStation 3 is a by-product of this mentality -- a way of thinking that has produced more spectacular failures than successes.

[size=-2]Its hit products of the '90s -- Handycams, WEGA TVs, VAIO computers -- were succeeded by stillborn wonders like the AirBoard, a $1,000 videoscreen that could be carried around like a laptop, and the Net MD Walkman, a too-little-too-late attempt to challenge Apple's iPod. Neither this latter-day Walkman nor Sony Connect, the online music store The New York Times once called "Sony Disconnect," would have anything to do with MP3 files -- only Sony's cumbersome and proprietary Atrac3 format would do.

In recent decades, though, it's become oddly fixated on imposing its own standards -- Betamax for VCRs, the MiniDisc for digital music players, the Universal Media Disc for PlayStation Portable, the Memory Stick for anything you can think of -- despite the world's unwavering rejection of those standards.[/size]

As Mr. Wiser pointed out software and services, not hardware, should be the top priority these days. Unfortunately, it's an ethos that still seems to be on Sony's backburner.

As a consequence, PlayStation 3 may have questionable utility. :cry:

[size=-2]At the root of Sony's precarious position -- not just in the industry, but with gamers at large -- is the company's overweening ambition. The PS3 is all about power. Sony has said curiously little about whether this amped-up Linux übercomputer will actually be fun to play.[/size]

By wrestling Microsoft in the living room (for a media hub), Intel in the office (with its Cell microprocessor) and DVD-using consumers (via the Blu-ray), prospects look bleak, as Sony is playing to each of their strengths. :rolleyes:

[size=-2]Yet Sony has to do this with cash reserves of $6 billion -- compared to Microsoft's $38 billion hoard -- while losing hundreds of dollars in manufacturing costs alone for every PS3 sold. Eventually, Sony's costs will come down. But in the meantime, Goldman Sachs projects, Sony will lose nearly $2 billion on the PS3 by the end of this fiscal year in March.

"Beating Intel at its own game isn't a trivial undertaking, as companies such as Motorola, Cyrix, and Transmeta have all learned." – (defunct) Electronics Design Chain Magazine

Blu-ray is equally fraught. For starters, the whole business of high-definition disc drives seems designed to invite cynicism. With DVD players now in 85 percent of US homes, sales fell in 2005 for the first time – so some manufacturers may need a next-gen disc player, but it’s not clear consumers do.

Then there was the decision to build Blu-ray into the PlayStation 3. Sony's logic seemed ironclad: Not only would the hi-def drive's huge storage capacity allow for far-more-realistic and complex games, the PS3 would carry Blu-ray into millions of households and drive sales of HDTV's as well. As it turned out, however, Blu-ray has done nothing good for the PS3. Blu-ray was the main reason gamers weren't able to get the new machine last spring: The launch had to be postponed because the new format's digital rights management system did not yet satisfy every Hollywood studio. Blu-ray was also a big factor in the PS3's high price tag. Of course, with stand-alone Blu-ray players starting at $1,000, the PS3 is actually a bargain -- if a Blu-ray player is what you really want. If not, $600 is a lot of money. "For rich, older people it's attractive," Utsumi observes. "But I don't know if they are gameplayers." *

* Shuji Utsumi is "a former PlayStation exec who now heads the Toyko-based game developer Q Entertainment."[/size]

I don't get it... what was the actual point of that article?

It didn't very well offer much evidence to support anything it suggested (which were seemingly merely questions anyways), so what was the point of it? Some of the stuff they mention is outright silly too. For how many words they wasted, they sure didn't say much.

it all depends on the tie in ratio of both games and blue-rays. also will the PS3 help the eventual up take of HDMI 1.3 based TV's. will it open new avenues for distributing sony's music to the mass market. if the ps3 sells in the right amounts over it's life time to fit with when the time is right to sell to the right people it will do well. get the film loves and game loves first. then when the componants are cheaper get the people who want just a computer that's cheap, by releasing the right software. get the people who want a media center at that time to. once you can drop the price for the mass market. keep going and do exactly what they did with both the PS1 and PS2. self more in the last 5 years of the life cycle than in the first 5 years. when they make money of both the hardware and every game, blue-ray, digital music download. or video download that happens on the machine. they are raking it in. sony control the supply, the demand is there, they'll do fine. business is simple getting the most desirerable product designed is hard.

I had it all in one post, actually. But it was way too hard to read!
I was reading it as you were posting it, and getting confused as with each post I thought you had concluded and then something new popped up!

As far as I can tell, it's a rather typical financial's article. A company is either doing fantastically or doomed to fail. I don't think PS3 has to save Sony. What needs to save them, as the article does point out, is a change in ethos. This seems to be Stringer's understanding, and seems to be part of the reason why PS3 is supposed to be getting loads of fancy goodness. Even if PS3 does develop a software as well as hardware base, if the rest of the company doesn't evolve it'll die a painful death regardless.

The PS3 is all about power. Sony has said curiously little about whether this amped-up Linux übercomputer will actually be fun to play.
But whether a console is fun or not depends on the software, and isn't something Sony would raise when doing their hardware talk. I don't know many CE goods that are advertised as being fun either, even though they too are entertainment products.

I thought that is the way businesses work. You have to take risks to make money. If the PS3 fails, it fails. I don't think it will be the end of Sony though. They have their hands in a lot of markets.

Oh, I don't think Sony's doomzored just yet buddy. Pack away your doom and gloom. ovation, PS3 isn't even released yet, and anyone who thinks it's gonna bomb better think again...

PS2 was slagged pretty fierce too if you remember back in the day (though few seem to do; average age in console gaming being what it is :p), as was the original PS I might add.

I thought that is the way businesses work. You have to take risks to make money. If the PS3 fails, it fails.

Sure. But there is an elementary step that precedes risk-taking. ;)

[size=-2]Think before you act. There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.[/size]

... I remember similar thread from the General Forums from a while ago.... not by the same person by any chance?

Oh, I don't think Sony's doomzored just yet buddy. Pack away your doom and gloom. ovation, PS3 isn't even released yet, and anyone who thinks it's gonna bomb better think again...

If PS3 technology fails to gain a foothold, Sony will be too vested to recover quickly. This is not the case for its rivals.

standing ovation said:
As Mr. Wiser pointed out software and services, not hardware, should be the top priority these days. Unfortunately, it's an ethos that still seems to be on Sony's backburner.

I don't think Phil Wiser is even around anymore... Also I wouldn't go so far to say that software is a backburner issue, considering games are software as multimedia content creation software (both of which are highly regarded).

By wrestling Microsoft in the living room (for a media hub), Intel in the office (with its Cell microprocessor) and DVD-using consumers (via the Blu-ray), prospects look bleak, as Sony is playing to each of their strengths.

Well Sony's been in the living room for decades already, "media hubs" are just the latest fads in which Microsoft sees an opportunity to expand their Windows cash cow (which is finding it's biggest competition is with itself). Cell represents little if any threat to Intel in any space other than HPC which is already a highly competitive market (e.g. it's not one that Intel has a commanding domination over). Blu-Ray is just trying to do to DVD what DVD did to VHS, it's a evolutionary thing, it's going to happen anyways (whether it's HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, or something else).

Also the article itself has a few innaccuracies... NetMD wasn't a late challenge to the iPod, it predated the iPod by several months, and the iPod's sales didn't take off until 2004 (several years after the iPod's launch). The article is full of nonsense too... Imposing Betamax? What was Sony supposed to do? Wait for somebody else to develop something (VHS was still in development)? Push U-matic (which Betamax was derived from) from professional space into the consumer market? Arguably they could've used Philips' VCR format, but that format wasn't a particularly great format...

Same with MiniDisc. Everybody gives it crap because of ATRAC, yet there was very little alternative at that time... By the time the first MD recorder shipped, MPEG was just a piece of paper being finalized, and MP3 was still several years away. DAT could've been redeveloped for consumer space (which Sony did offer a few models of), yet it lacked the benefits of a disc based format which was the whole point of MiniDisc, merging the features and benefits of audiocassettes with CDs...

I think there are some elements of truth regarding internal competitions within Sony, tough Blu-ray vs DVD fight, and software being important and integral to future hardware.
To be frank, I think Sony's issues also include:
* Higher cost compared to its competitors in the home appliance market
* Incumbent mentality (especially their Music arm)
* Losing touch with consumers (Pushing ATRAC+ and other failed formats)
* Inability to leverage from other groups (not just competing within the same group)
* Late start in mastering software.
* Apple-envy

These are countered by Sony's strength:
* Economy of scale and diversity
* Brands
* R&D and collection of IPs
* Its gaming division's ability to deliver (so far)
* Increasing focus on integrated software after some spectacular failures in Sony Connect.
* Howard's moves to streamline costs
* Sony's willingness to innovate (e.g., PS3, Mylo, the latest PSP-sized Vaio UX Windows handheld)
* PS3's potential to consolidate Sony's values to consumers

Looking only at the negative side, what kind of objective/logical conclusion can the article draw ? What's more, many of the highlighted issues are not unique to Sony. Some of them apply to MS and Samsung too. Also where are the supporting numbers ? Since when does MS own the living room ? Is Sony really challenging Intel ?

Last edited by a moderator:

PS2 was slagged pretty fierce too if you remember back in the day (though few seem to do; average age in console gaming being what it is :p), as was the original PS I might add.

This is their first game console that is also pushing a unique format at the user as well though. With the PS1 it was CDs and with the PS2 DVDs, both had established formats to operate from. Now someone can easily question whats a gamer going to care about Blu Ray for and the answer is they wont, which isnt good. The other issue is also the fact that the addition of that Blu Ray drive has significantly increased the cost of the console which may really turn alot of people off. Personally, i just want to play games, i'm not extatic about having to pay a Sony tax on my purchase (games or hardware) so they can pay off their next gen movie format R&D which isnt looking too hopeful anyway. Shun microsofts choice all you want when it comes to their HDDVD drive, but they arent forcing anything on their customers like Sony is. And for those that dont own HD-Tvs, and believe me there are alot of them, they're going to care even less then me. Now i'm sure someones going to say we need the 30gb of disc space or what ever now for games, sorry i dont buy that marketing schpeel at all.

By the way most consoles dont start making money for their company until 2-3 years after launch, so the PS3 isnt going to do squat for Sony in the short term.

well sony has put seveeral billion into ps3. If it totally bombed, like sold 1/3 what xbox 360 sells sony would be looking at some serious finiacial problems. I highly doubt it'd be the end of sony though.

Back