Can The PS3 Save SONY?

Why do you say that? The hardware's been shown and games running on it have been shown also, the PS3's capabilities are known (and looking pretty good if I may say so myself). The 5800 was only hyped up until the actual moment of release when we got to learn that much of the stuff said about it were lies and BS.

Is PS3 not a sign of how Sony divisions attempt to collaborate ? And yet the article and you claimed that Sony folks do not work together ?

At first glance, PlayStation 3 appears to have corporate consensus. But the more I dig up, the more I'm convinced that Sony Corp. is too incoherent to agree to something reasonable -- like manufacture a successor to the console crown.

It looks like different factions are attempting to jumpstart their own agendas using one of the few brands with a successful track record. As a result, PlayStation 3 is rife with lots of unproven technologies that are barely blips on the horizon.

Okay, here is a bullet point from the link you provided.

The production hasn't started yet, but they have all the components necessary so they just wait for a go (in south of China and near Tokyo).

If production has not yet begun -- and a release date is sometime this year -- god help PlayStation 3. :rolleyes:

Okay, here is a bullet point from the link you provided.

If production has not yet begun -- and a release date is sometime this year -- god help PlayStation 3. :rolleyes:

Yap, it's cutting close, aren't they ? But this does not obscure the fact that the PS3 release is imminent.

It also does not mask the fact that you seem too eager to put Sony down for some reason.

... and MS did not screw up their Xbox 360 launch ? So MS is doomed too ?

I'm not familiar with Sony's battery problems (for PS3 ?). And Blu-ray is something they definitely need to fix, who in this thread is praising them on this account ?

WIRED is just a magazine. The article is written by an astute observer. Unfortunately, what they say and how they interpret the data do not necessarily represent the truth.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, there may be some elements of truth in the article. But the way only negative points are raised... the angle and perspective is most likely wrong because for any entity, you can paint it black just by looking at the dark side. The media in general is susceptible to this disease.

Did you write or help to write that article ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Shifty ! I have a better picture now. There is probably nothing a PS3 can do to save the laptop battery situation. It is not a panacea for all Sony problems. It sounds like they should have tested them more, or invest in manufacturing process upgrade before producing it.

The Blu-ray movement, however, is up PS3's alley. Unlike what the article claimed, it is the desire to combine both PS3 (from SCE ?) and Blu-ray (from Sony Pictures ?) that's causing the Blu-ray crunch now. In short, they are working together regardless of what engineering cultures each group have or have not.

Once you have made the commitment to work together, you will have to face issues like this and deliver. As for whether they can solve the alleged dual-layer Blu-ray issues in time, I have no answer. We have until November 11th to know for sure.

Thanks Shifty ! I have a better picture now. There is probably nothing a PS3 can do to save the laptop battery situation. It is not a panacea for all Sony problems. It sounds like they should have tested them more, or invest in manufacturing process upgrade before producing it.
The battery problems are just 'one of those things' as it were. Sony are a leader in Lithium battery tech, a pioneer in the 90s, and this is as much 'up their alley' as BluRay. They're as suited to developing LiIon batteries as anyone. This time though the new tech was flawed in the manufacturing. That happens with new products. When it goes wrong you replace them. That doesn't discredit Sony's work in battery tech and Dell are still going to use them as a supplier. It's not as though one dodgy product is going to end Sony's battery department in an instance - even if someone had been harmed by the defect. And one dodgy battery isn't another 'nail in the coffin' either.

It's easy for someone to select a number of products from any big firm as examples of failures. Flops are inevitable. Taking a handful of failures and using them to paint a picture of perennial failure is either poor investigation or a contrived argument. The continued survival of a company is as much an ability to weather the storms as it is to have some big successes. I'm reminded here of the number one musical artist of all time - Cliff Richard (can't remember exactly the criteria. Something like most singles sold in UK or worldwide). There have been many bigger and more impressive artists, but with shorter careers. Despite moderate highs and moderate lows, Cliff has maintained a long career that beats many of the 'hard and fast' acts into obscurity. Apple has iPod now, but before then weren't an amazingly big success, and in 10 years time where will they be? Sony have remained a top company for as long as CE has existed as a marketed, and continue to evlove their role and products. We're seeing now after a long stretch of dominant TV sales ending with very poor performance in that department, they've managed to come back to be number one again. It's quite possible for Sony to go from being the number 1 console company for two generations to dropping off the radar, and then come back again. Look at Nintendo's recent resurgence to the limelight, after dropping out from the number 1 spot. And off the companies in the world who can weather difficult times, Sony's got to be up there as one of the most enduring.

From the article:

Shuji Utsumi, a former PlayStation exec who now heads the Tokyo-based game developer Q Entertainment, recalls an exchange in which Kutaragi declared, years before the Xbox was introduced, that his competitor was Microsoft. "I thought, what is he talking about?" Utsumi says. "Is he nuts? But even before PlayStation was born, he was predicting a big war for the living room."

Back