All Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

We've already pushed past the 120GB for several games on the current gen, average game size is about 70GB for even medium sized games, expect PS5 games to double that amount due to increased textures and asset size.

That could be cut in half if you remove all the duplicate storage required to cut down on HDD latency. Right?

Phison SSD are slower. And this SSD too is slower 5,6, 7 GB/s current Consumer PCIE4 4 channel SSD doesn't make the cut.

In real test this is far from what we will see on PS5

Compared to what? How do you know how fast the PS5 SSD will be? The theoretical speeds what PC can get is already faster, software needs to follow but i'm sure it will sometime. We can't be stuck forever on old storage solutions. No matter what, this new tech the consoles will have, will translate to other devices too, sooner or later.

Aside from SC, I haven't seen anyone else do this yet.

When next gen is here we will see more of that.

On a low speed devkit this is the speed of PS5

Don't see anything in that video that would be impossible on a pc, but maybe cause it was a ultra low speed devkit. Somehow he wanted to show it anyway :)

The real next-gen consoles can do so much more.

Certainly hope so, as that demo didn't show anything 'next gen' at all.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, lets see the solution in action first before we announce any impossibilities. It's common to have a lot of PR BS ahead of any console release.

Well, he will have to, there's no other way so far fighting the idea that PS exclusives might be somewhere else then PS boxes.

We've seen it in action, Sony's demonstration of Spider-Man loading already leaked.

Yet again, this demo didn't show anything nextgen, i hope so atleast.

I don't think it'll be that big of an impact, after all, how much of a difference will there really be between any 2 single frames? The only way to have such visual inconsistencies or incoherence is perhaps in an LSD flashback or some scene where art direction is random items thrown together. That doesn't sound visually appeasing to me.

In dire times, it is the only thing being talked about really, aside from 9TF and 12TF. It is the least interesting generation so far, where storage is the most hyped thing.

You're welcome.

No fighter jet in games from next gen, aside from on the PS5 then.

Like I said faster than 7GB/s.

I know you're an insider or have friends that are so, but we would like to see some source for the specs you pump out everywhere.

I'm having bad flashbacks to the early days of PC SSDs where there was plenty of talks about compression factors involved with SandForce controllers that never materialized for day to day PC storage.

Nothing stops manufacturers from coming with that again. A simple arm CPU desinged for the task would do it.

Again, nobody claimed this.

Wasn't there some gamedev from mighty Sony saying something like 'loading, what's that?'

Just wait the PS5 reveal I will give the speed

Again interesting your in possession of PS5 specs, but it is no more then hot air as long were not seeing any sources.

The only one to use if fully for loading and streaming will be first party.

And strange projects like SC then. What the topic was about, i see no reason there won't be any PS5 exclusives on PC down the road.

That could be cut in half if you remove all the duplicate storage required to cut down on HDD latency. Right?
Of course, though we need to know how much the duplicate assets occupy of the total game size, it might be only quarter or third or even half indeed.

The major issue with PC is right now, it can't get it because the filesystem is designed around random-access file patterns and arbitrary files dealing with everything from 2kb text documents to MB photos and GB videos.
I don't believe that's accurate, filesystems don't care about random access or sequential access, it's the drive underneath that determines that, PCs are used for sequential workloads all the time, they are the gold standard, editing 4K/8K videos and film making are among the prime examples of that.

The most interesting thing is that we're discussing about hardware we don't know anything about. Baseless PS exclusives/SSD performance topic :p

Wasn't there some gamedev from mighty Sony saying something like 'loading, what's that?'

Was there? I don't remember this. Where is it?

Or, you know, we could read what Mark Cerny actually said to Wired. The following quote was in context of having to load into games to see how your friends are doing in them:

"Even though it will be fairly fast to boot games, we don't want the player to have to boot the game, see what's up"​

Why make-up bullshit quotes when PS5's system architect has gone on the record?

Compared to what? How do you know how fast the PS5 SSD will be? The theoretical speeds what PC can get is already faster, software needs to follow but i'm sure it will sometime. We can't be stuck forever on old storage solutions. No matter what, this new tech the consoles will have, will translate to other devices too, sooner or later.

When next gen is here we will see more of that.

Don't see anything in that video that would be impossible on a pc, but maybe cause it was a ultra low speed devkit. Somehow he wanted to show it anyway :)

Certainly hope so, as that demo didn't show anything 'next gen' at all.

Well, he will have to, there's no other way so far fighting the idea that PS exclusives might be somewhere else then PS boxes.

Yet again, this demo didn't show anything nextgen, i hope so atleast.

In dire times, it is the only thing being talked about really, aside from 9TF and 12TF. It is the least interesting generation so far, where storage is the most hyped thing.

No fighter jet in games from next gen, aside from on the PS5 then.

I know you're an insider or have friends that are so, but we would like to see some source for the specs you pump out everywhere.

Nothing stops manufacturers from coming with that again. A simple arm CPU desinged for the task would do it.

Again interesting your in possession of PS5 specs, but it is no more then hot air as long were not seeing any sources.

And strange projects like SC then. What the topic was about, i see no reason there won't be any PS5 exclusives on PC down the road.

You can wait I will not give it now. Wait probably a few minutes before event doubt it when I said it and after see.;)

Like Mike Ybarra said(ex director of Xbox first party and now at Activision-Blizzard):
20191211.jpg

An hint the speed is in this table. Not exactly but between 7GB/s and 20 GB/s.
cyh6am11.png

Last edited:
Of course, though we need to know how much the duplicate assets occupy of the total game size, it might be only quarter or third or even half indeed.

Completely agree.

I have not seen any solid numbers as to what percentage of a game install on current-gen consoles is duplicated data and what is not, nor anything definitive as to what sort of assets needed to be duplicated. Do we need to duplicate it all, or can we cut that number in half for next-gen?

<rant in general not related to you or this topic>
It's just that numbers and statements have been thrown around on all the forums that it's really hard to follow discussions. It really makes discussions a hassle because of such contradictory statements being used based on what's most convenient for the point that's being driven for whatever narrative.

What bugs me the most in discussions talking about gaming on Console or PC was recently seeing something along the lines of "don't need to pay for an OS, everyone already has one. PC is cheaper!" or "Well you need to throw in cost of OS, not everyone has Windows".

Which one is it? It can't be both at both times.
</rant>

Completely agree.

I have not seen any solid numbers as to what percentage of a game install on current-gen consoles is duplicated data and what is not, nor anything definitive as to what sort of assets needed to be duplicated. Do we need to duplicate it all, or can we cut that number in half for next-gen?

<rant in general not related to you or this topic>
It's just that numbers and statements have been thrown around on all the forums that it's really hard to follow discussions. It really makes discussions a hassle because of such contradictory statements being used based on what's most convenient for the point that's being driven for whatever narrative.

What bugs me the most in discussions talking about gaming on Console or PC was recently seeing something along the lines of "don't need to pay for an OS, everyone already has one. PC is cheaper!" or "Well you need to throw in cost of OS, not everyone has Windows".

Which one is it? It can't be both at both times.
</rant>

Here you have a postmortem from Insomniac about all the streaming problems they had and some data about duplication. It was at GDC 2019. And Interestingly they were involved in the PS5 spiderman demo.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cngcqlvb8...marvels_spider-man_preliminaryexport.pdf?dl=0

The slide.

EDIT: We don't need duplication at all next gen. Advantage of SSD compared to HDD.

I have, but I can't remember the exact stats or if the stats are even from the perspective of "entire install size". I am not certain that entire CutScene Movies need to be duplicated in the install area. Or even the loading Logo Graphics that are typically used in general.

Am I the only one remembering that ps4 Hdd peaks around 40 MB/s? A modern drive can destroy that performance. Also on console you’ll have cpu and gpu contending for bandwidth. Having a blazing fast drive streaming into RAM will have practical limits. If anything it might make more sense to focus on compression, decompression and burst performance than worry about having fast sustained speeds for transferring large files.

Once again I will say it again because you seem not to want to respond to it but here goes anyways. My NVME drive barely performs faster than my old 860 Evo SATA SSD in game loading when it should be 5-6 times faster, why is that?

My NVME drive barely performs faster than my old 860 Evo SATA SSD in game loading when it should be 5-6 times faster, why is that?

You need to wait till games are optimised for that. There's one example, it is Star Citizen, if you want to see more out of your SSD. Even Optane has advantages in that game over standard Nvme drives. Future games will only improve.
Or wait for that monster sony exclusive down the road.

so to clarify, people need to prove to you where they get info before you believe it, but you’re happy to believe some quote that you can’t find and won’t say is credible...because it’s fits your argument?

lol, what? It does fit the Sony people, no loading times actually means very high performance, or?

Back