Future Hardware & Software Purchases

Well done. Just leave your PCMR card by the door on your way out! :mrgreen:
There's no elitism here ;)

I can love my PC again after years of neglect. I'll still get around to buying a PS5 now (I think? Lets see what I can get come Nov)

I had a good run with the console experience, hell XBO was among the weakest hardware of the bunch. I'll likely still be turning on a console here and there because my library is now split. So I'm definitely understanding of where things lie with console. I don't care for the elitism around being unable to play at compromised settings. I think it's still very serviceable and very good considering the price point they come in at. It's important to know what you want from your gaming hardware, but there's no reason to talk down to other people over it. PC isn't problem free either. I do enjoy the experience of consoles still.

Price points for next gen... hmmm.. I'd like to talk more about that, except, I still don't know what the price points are.

And that's ultimately what got me to pull the trigger on 3080, I know the price and I know the performance. This easily could have gone south (considering the way nvidia was charging) and I was very likely to end up with one of each console and a 2060 or so for machine learning.

I can love my PC again after years of neglect. I'll still get around to buying a PS5 now (I think? Lets see what I can get come Nov)

I had a good run with the console experience, hell XBO was among the weakest hardware of the bunch. I'll likely still be turning on a console here and there because my library is now split. So I'm definitely understanding of where things lie with console. I don't care for the elitism around being unable to play at compromised settings. I think it's still very serviceable and very good considering the price point they come in at. It's important to know what you want from your gaming hardware, but there's no reason to talk down to other people over it. PC isn't problem free either. I do enjoy the experience of consoles still.

hahaha, good try buddy. But you ain't fooling me that reasonable people can actually exist on the internet. Drop the act now. Tell us console peasants are total noobz and mouse and keyboard DESTROYZ their casual asses at competitive on-line mine-sweeper.

hahaha, good try buddy. But you ain't fooling me that reasonable people can actually exist on the internet. Drop the act now. Tell us console peasants are total noobz and mouse and keyboard DESTROYZ their casual asses at competitive on-line mine-sweeper.
I have tennis elbow issues now :( not possible. Still using controller on PC

I have tennis elbow issues now :( not possible. Still using controller on PC
Give games and other tasks a rest. I've observed people recover real fast by being strict about cutting out aggravating activities and following the physio's instructions to the better.

must-stop-fapping.jpg

Give games and other tasks a rest. I've observed people recover real fast by being strict about cutting out aggravating activities and following the physio's instructions to the better.
Yea I have been off using my elbow for some time. So all gym and fitness activities also stopped. The recovery seems very long.

I pulled/tore a muscle in my arm over a week ago and it's still very sore. I should go to the doctor but have been very busy with work.

Hasn't affected me gaming though.

That's great but doesn't really speak to anything I said.

My point was simply that the pc is not a static device. When I buy a ps5 I'm stuck with it and as time goes on its only going to become slower vs the pc.

Take a look at Unreal engine 5. It was running at 1440p 30fps on ps5 correct ? What would my 1700x 32gigs of ram pci-e 3 nvme drive with a vega 56 run it at ? What happens if i buy a 3080 or navi 2 ? How does the equation change? What if i decide to put in a 3x00 ryzen or 4x00 ryzen ? What if I wait for next year and get a new generation ryzen with ddr 5 and perhaps have 64 gigs of ram and a pci-e 4 with direct IO ?

Thats my point. I can upgrade where needed to keep gaming at the resolution and frame rates I want. PS5 will only ever get slower. We might get a ps5 pro or something but that isn't really a guarantee. We have just as much of a chance of getting the ps5 exclusives on pc .
It won’t get slower, how can a closed box get slower?

It’ll stand still, but with a closed box devs can squeeze the performance, just look at the tail end of PS4 - some great looking games on weak hardware.

It’ll stand still, but with a closed box devs can squeeze the performance, just look at the tail end of PS4 - some great looking games on weak hardware.

This was more true back in the days of 6th gen etc, now we went from order 1886, UC4 to GoT, probably due to X86/pc architectures where it's easier to master the hardware from the beginning. PS2 was a pain to develop for but thanks to that there where more advances.
GCN gpus aged rather well though because on the same arch, eternal hzd etc all run equal or better to PS4 on mid end 2012 hardware (7870).
GTX670 doesn't hold upp quite aswell.

That will have to be first party devs thought. I think most third party devs won't like the prospect of developing for a slower device since it will have less memory, a weaker GPU and whatever else that makes the XBSS weaker than the XBSX. I have read devs saying that they hate developing new games for the old PS4/XBO platform, I have to think third party devs are also going to dislike having to develope for a much lower denominator than the higher clocked XBSX/PS5 varients.

It will get slower the same way any other device gets slower , as time moves foward and more powerful hardware exists the older hardware wont run it as fast.

IF you go out and get a used netbook with a single core atom and 1gig of ram and reinstall windows fresh it would still be just as fast as they day it was produced. But if you start putting modern browsers and try running modern applications and games its not going to be a fun experience

It will get slower the same way any other device gets slower , as time moves foward and more powerful hardware exists the older hardware wont run it as fast.

IF you go out and get a used netbook with a single core atom and 1gig of ram and reinstall windows fresh it would still be just as fast as they day it was produced. But if you start putting modern browsers and try running modern applications and games its not going to be a fun experience
That's comparing apples to oranges.
Sony/MS will build the OS to run on their consoles. Browsers are built to run on multiple machines and will move along with hardware.

That's not the same thing, because console h/w stands still.

That's comparing apples to oranges.
Sony/MS will build the OS to run on their consoles. Browsers are built to run on multiple machines and will move along with hardware.

That's not the same thing, because console h/w stands still.
and what games are built just for one console only ? There are no cross platform games i guess ?

Whats going to happen if a ps5 pro and xbox refreshes come out.

We've already seen unreal engine 5 running at 1440p on the ps5. What happens as developers get their hands on the engine and start to push for better graphics and more effects ?

Like I said people want better performance and experiences that's why we aren't all playing on atari systems from the 70s. Its why we are all here talking about performance of new systems

and what games are built just for one console only ? There are no cross platform games i guess ?

Whats going to happen if a ps5 pro and xbox refreshes come out.

We've already seen unreal engine 5 running at 1440p on the ps5. What happens as developers get their hands on the engine and start to push for better graphics and more effects ?

Like I said people want better performance and experiences that's why we aren't all playing on atari systems from the 70s. Its why we are all here talking about performance of new systems

You said that it would become slower, this is incorrect. Even today PS4 games are coming out at 1080p and looking pretty good. And what you're talking about is consoles struggling as games push hardware further, well of course that's true - but that's not consoles slowing down. And don't forget it'll be in developers interest to ensure consoles run fine...moreso than ensuring some crappy laptop runs a game ok...or some bargain basement GPU is supported.

Of course people want better performances (a low-mid percentage), this is why we have generations, and last gen a mid-gen recycle.

You said that it would become slower, this is incorrect. Even today PS4 games are coming out at 1080p and looking pretty good. And what you're talking about is consoles struggling as games push hardware further, well of course that's true - but that's not consoles slowing down. And don't forget it'll be in developers interest to ensure consoles run fine...moreso than ensuring some crappy laptop runs a game ok...or some bargain basement GPU is supported.

Of course people want better performances (a low-mid percentage), this is why we have generations, and last gen a mid-gen recycle.

okay lets just play semantics.

My point stands that as the generation goes on the consoles will become slower . There are plenty of 1080p games coming out for the ps4 . There are a lot of them like avengers that struggle to do so

ps4 struggles to hit 20fps and will drop to 720p in some instances and this is because software has moved on.

You can see how cpu limited the consoles have become using modern software.

Consoles dont get slower neither faster, their stuck at whatever they launched with. What your seeing is they cant keep up with software as times move on.
Hence the pro doing better fps then the base versions of about any game.

13TF was alot few years ago, new 36 is alot. Zen2 @3.6 to zen3 over 4.5ghz, gddr6 to gddr6x, 9gb/s ssd to 14gbs (and way more). RT and upscaling moves fast.

HW still evolves rather quick, old hw looks datet fast but nothing gets slower.

okay lets just play semantics.

My point stands that as the generation goes on the consoles will become slower . There are plenty of 1080p games coming out for the ps4 . There are a lot of them like avengers that struggle to do so

ps4 struggles to hit 20fps and will drop to 720p in some instances and this is because software has moved on.

You can see how cpu limited the consoles have become using modern software.

Whatever you think, you just didn't use the correct wording.

My PS4 is as fast as it's ever been, switching on, powering down, playing apps, opening games, switching between things (etc etc) - if anything my PS4 has gotten better with time (as has the Xbox) as features are added and often things sped up.

But yes, the games don't run as well as better hardware (shock horror!)

Whatever you think, you just didn't use the correct wording.

My PS4 is as fast as it's ever been, switching on, powering down, playing apps, opening games, switching between things (etc etc) - if anything my PS4 has gotten better with time (as has the Xbox) as features are added and often things sped up.

But yes, the games don't run as well as better hardware (shock horror!)

If its no longer playing games at 1080p and they are forced down to 720p then its running games slower than before.

Back