Future PC Hardware Purchases

My i7 4770 is nearing 10 years old.... I wanted to upgrade to Ryzen 5000 but didn't because of the insane prices at the time. I got a 2070 super so that isn't too bad but the fact is if I want to buy something that is a noticable step up from a console I'll have to spend like 2 ~ 2.5 grand. That is not even including a new monitor.

I'm thinking about get a Xbox instead. I only play like 6 games a year anyway and that includes my Switch. Gamespass also seems like a great deal. I'm currently using steam in home streaming to play Control and even though it doesn't look great because of the crap resolution I have to use (I blame my CPU) I notice I don't really care that much anymore.

Only problem is there aren't any series X in Japan...

If I do buy a console, I might end up ditching my desktop and get something like a NUC/minisforum instead. I got my desktop running 24/7 so something a bit more energy efficient would be welcome.

If you have the connection look at GeForce now, I've been very impressed by it.

PS5 will be my last console, i have had every Playstation since the PSX (1996). The consoles just dont deliver that enthusiasm to me anymore, theres practically not much in the form of exclusives anymore and the idea of Sony going more and more PC diminishes the need of a PS console in my home. Its all mid-range x86 pc hardware with slight modifications, and seeing the last DF that console development is challanged due to increasing chip prices, its guaranteed that the next generation of consoles, if they may come, will be another small leap.

Even todays consoles lack what you can get on the PC, ray tracing and AI aswell as pure raster power. PSVR2 might blow some fresh air, but then again on the PC the community delivers such experiences that that market sure isnt dry on pc either. Im also certain that PSVR2 will find its way to the PC, be it the community or Sony themselfs.

Back