Future Hardware & Software Purchases

oh yea, basically swinging out between 20-36TF.
Yea lockhart at 4TF is looking really bad as a console. igpu for portable, ok, no problem.

With the pricing of the 3070 being $499, and performance being far above PS5/XBSX... it really does make you wonder what a Sony or Microsoft next-generation console would have been with a dedicated Nvidia GPU, and dedicated AMD Zen 3 CPU. Maybe next time...

With the pricing of the 3070 being $499, and performance being far above PS5/XBSX... it really does make you wonder what a Sony or Microsoft next-generation console would have been with a dedicated Nvidia GPU, and dedicated AMD Zen 3 CPU. Maybe next time...

Most likely it would have been $999 ?

and dedicated AMD Zen 3 CPU

A Zen3 cpu would have been a nice thing on its own i think, instead of the old zen2. Perhaps we would have seen much higher clocks enabling higher FPS/refresh rates since things seem heading that way, even in the mobile market.

nvidia dumped all over next gen consoles. As I've kept saying by the time the consoles come out, they'll be at best mid range parts.

You're right about the dumping, but I think "mid range" is a tricky one to define now! Is it by performance of the top end, by all GPUs on the market, by median performance of all units sold...? Is it compared to the current GPUs on sale (including Polaris and Turing and possibly still Pascal), or only the ones launching at the same time?

I've given up on comparing to PC "high" or "mid" because it's means so many different things to so many people. All I will say for sure is that these new Nvidia cards are looking tasty as hell.

Edit: but hey, at least this time we have big, fast SSDs in consoles and proper "big boy" CPUs!

780ti 3 times the TF perf of PS4 for $700
3090RTX 3 times the perf of XsX for $1500

you are either delusional or just trolling the console section with PC Master Race :D

780ti 3 times the TF perf of PS4 for $700
3090RTX 3 times the perf of XsX for $1500

you are either delusional or just trolling the console section with PC Master Race :D

Your forgetting everything else that enhances performance, DLSS for example. Then ray tracing, the new big thing. Compared to PS5, the console that matters the most, it's almost four times difference in raw performance alone, more then last time.

There's nothing trolling or dilisional in thinking the difference is bigger this time then last time, in a topic thats about upgrading PC/console. I don't think many expected it, to be honest.

so if i plug a 3090 on my TV it will do all this ?
Nice ! (Still 3 times the price though :( )

Get where you'r coming from, but last time in 2013 a titan wasn't cheap either. A 20TF 3070 is already double the performance at a seemingly very nice price. Assume NV won't stop there either, a 3070S might be very intresting down the line. Or a 2080Ti, if it would be priced abit humanly.

Seriously, I love all gaming - no matter the platform.

Seems you have to upgrade to the 3090 :p

A Zen3 cpu would have been a nice thing on its own i think, instead of the old zen2. Perhaps we would have seen much higher clocks enabling higher FPS/refresh rates since things seem heading that way, even in the mobile market.

I'm not sure we'll be seeing radically higher clocks on Zen 3, as it's probably on the same process as XSX and PS5. The unified L3 would probably have been a nice bonus though, along with some other IPC gains.

I was thinking of bulk-pricing for GPU and CPU parts. Bringing the systems around $600-700$ in BOM pricing.

Well compared to the 3070, for consoles you'd be looking at another 8 GB of GDDR6 (probably getting uncomfortably close to another $100 at the mo), a small and efficient (and therefore expensive) PSU, a 1TB SSD, a separate CPU and a way of connecting two packages on the board, perhaps requiring two heatsinks or one more complex heatsink, design customisations to include hardware decompression for both the CPU and GPU along with highly custom sound hardware, an UHD BR drive, and also the case, controller, etc etc.

But you'd still have added latency for either CPU and GPU when accessing memory, and added overhead when sharing data between them.

Unless Nvidia were prepared to take a big hit on their custom 3070 for the long term contract, I think $600-700$ in BOM for a 3070 equipped console would involve significant losses with reduced opportunities for cost reduction in the long term.

Kind of a pity, because Nvidia's tech would be just as cool competing in the console arena.

No one said that. I sure didn't. And Sony's PS5 bulky design (shape) is their own fault in many ways. They shot for high-clocks rather than a wider/slower GPU setup.

I guess that either that was cheaper, or that they had to go narrow (and therefore faster) for BC. Or maybe it was some of both...?

I'm not sure we'll be seeing radically higher clocks on Zen 3, as it's probably on the same process as XSX and PS5. The unified L3 would probably have been a nice bonus though, along with some other IPC gains.

Yes ofcourse, basically the same effect with IPC gains. it seems that higher refresh rates are a thing now and in the future. Even mobile phones are starting with all this 120hz and some even claim 144 all the wayt o 360hz. DLSS is basically there to gain on the performance situation.

Seems you have to upgrade to the 3090 :p

I skipped the 2080 generation of cards on purpose. Other than having moderate RT performance, the cards weren't no better than my SLI GTX Titan XP systems. So yes, I have my vendor on notice on acquiring a few (including NVLink bridge) for me during launch.:yep2:

I skipped the 2080 generation of cards on purpose. Other than having moderate RT performance, the cards weren't no better than my SLI GTX Titan XP systems. So yes, I have my vendor on notice on acquiring a few (including NVLink bridge) for me during launch.:yep2:

Yes this Ampere leap was really needed i think, Turing seemed their first take on all the new tech. It was best to await out the 2000 series. Let's see, im on a 2080Ti lol, at 14.5TF it seems very underpowered now. Almost low end warning.

Yes ofcourse, basically the same effect with IPC gains. it seems that higher refresh rates are a thing now and in the future. Even mobile phones are starting with all this 120hz and some even claim 144 all the wayt o 360hz. DLSS is basically there to gain on the performance situation.

PC 360hz is ... interesting. Definitely very niche IMO. It's more a statement of intent than meaning something relevant to the general gaming population. Other than TN panels - which are like watching hope slowly die in front of you - even the fastest 8-bit IPS and VA panels can blur or overdrive artefact at less than 100 hz. I'm sure some people will be able to benefit from 360 hz, but outside of a few people and a few games it's mostly bullshit with current panel technology.

Just an aside, but if an 8 core console Zen 2 can only reliably hold 60 fps in a game, then with current CPUs those 360 hz PC monitors are going to be wasting their time like me on Tinder.

As for consoles, for me standardising around 60 fps would be a pretty radical step. We haven't really been there since 2D. I'm not sure consoles are ready to give up resolution for frame rate, as they definitely haven't been the last three generations. But at least now we have CPUs that allow developers to offer the option to players .... if the developers can be fucked*.

[*and if the publisher will actually pay for them to implement it, which is no small issue]

Anyway, I think console and PC hardware (across all devices) is probably going to be the most interestingly divergent it has been in at least the last decade, at the very least.

Back