Free Web Space for Uploads?

Diplo

Veteran
I have a Polish friend (who doesn't speak great English) who wants to find some free web-space where he can upload his files. This must included the ability to upload MP3 files (as he makes his own music). It doesn't have to be a massive amount, but it does have to be free and allow file uploads (zip, mp3 etc). These are all legal, btw :)

I have my own web-space and domain so don't know where to start looking. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

Diplo said:
I have a Polish friend (who doesn't speak great English) who wants to find some free web-space where he can upload his files. This must included the ability to upload MP3 files (as he makes his own music). It doesn't have to be a massive amount, but it does have to be free and allow file uploads (zip, mp3 etc). These are all legal, btw :)

I have my own web-space and domain so don't know where to start looking. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

They could try www.putfile.com, they don't accept zip files but do seem to accept most other types of media files upto a maximum size of 25MB with an unlimited number of uploads for free:

An alternative is savefile http://www.savefile.com but I've no experience with them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Diplo said:
who wants to find some free web-space where he can upload his files.
Why not try gmail. :D Just have him make an account, then he'll mail himself the files with them as attachments. MP3s and such should be within the size limits, and you get ~2.5GB in one single account these days. Should be most for most purposes. :)

Or does it HAVE to be generally accessible through FTP or HTTP?

Guden Oden said:
Or does it HAVE to be generally accessible through FTP or HTTP?
I've seen something online that lets you use your gmail account as an "online hard drive" obviously limited by the 2.5GB limit of a Gmail account (mine is 2.7 these days). Seemed very very cool but i have no idea if/how it works.

london-boy said:
I've seen something online that lets you use your gmail account as an "online hard drive" obviously limited by the 2.5GB limit of a Gmail account
...And the up/download speed of one's connection - and more likely, google's servers... Yea, I heard of that thing a long time (months) ago, but I wasn't sure where one could get hold of it, or even if it's still possible. I thought maybe google threw a spanner in its works, because it sounds a bit like abuse methinks.

FileFront's Hosted File Management service is quite robust.

Easy to organise and keep track of different files and no practical limits (max upload 1GB per file). I've uploaded a couple of files there, although the download servers tend to get very busy (with queues) following the release of a large, popular demo (e.g. CoD2) or patch.

Guden Oden said:
...And the up/download speed of one's connection - and more likely, google's servers... Yea, I heard of that thing a long time (months) ago, but I wasn't sure where one could get hold of it, or even if it's still possible. I thought maybe google threw a spanner in its works, because it sounds a bit like abuse methinks.

Google definately tried to stop it, and i'm not sure if they succeeded. I can't find anything about it anyway, but i guess searching for it on google isn't the best idea :LOL:

It was definately possible back when the accounts were 1GB, but i haven't seen anything about it for ages. In fact, i believe i only saw it once on a website...

Google explicitly say it is forbidden to use their accounts for personal storage like the above system, so they definately had a look at it. Just not sure how to do it as i don't recall what the system was called.

london-boy said:
Google explicitly say it is forbidden to use their accounts for personal storage like the above system, so they definately had a look at it.
Yeah, I thought it might be, which is why I didn't mention it.

Just not sure how to do it as i don't recall what the system was called.
Wasn't it simply called googledrive? I think so. Still, it didn't seem right to me to use it in that way, gmail is cool in that it's free (as in doesn't cost any money anyway, heh), easy to use, fast and offers tons of space. To then go and turn it into a network harddrive, well, it seems a bit cheap methinks, sort of stuffing your pockets full of chocolate truffles and stuff when you're invited over to some party or something. :)

Especially when there are other free alternatives of almost the same size, and no need for abusive programs to be installed.

Guden Oden said:
it seems a bit cheap methinks, sort of stuffing your pockets full of chocolate truffles and stuff when you're invited over to some party or something. :)
uhm... yeah... and that would be... wrong...

Back