Found the R3D/100 and more!

[EOCF] Tim;1274050 said:
Yea, I'm not sure how much Intel was involved in the ultimate design, in my opinion Real3D shouldn't have collaborated with Intel. I mean Intels GFX cards or IGP's were always terrible, maybe their influence in the project wasn't helpful.

Saying that, I don't know too much about the i470 and the why how where when.

Thanks for that picture btw, I've never seen a Starfighter box in real life though.

i740 BTW ;) Intel purchased the IP from Real3D behind the i740. So it was completely their technology. It was their first entry into the graphics market. It really shook up the market. Everybody was scared about their place in the market when they made the announcement. But it was a necessary step for the evolution of Intel's market. With it they had a compelling argument for PCI's replacement: AGP.

Check the Wiki for more info.

I still have my retail Starfighter board, but it was one of the few that were in the flood. I had the original box too, but after it got wet I had to trash it. I don't think the card actually got wet though, but there's no guarantee.

Tommy

It was their first entry into the graphics market. It really shook up the market.

It did? half the speed of a voodoo2

. Everybody was scared about their place in the market when they made the announcement.

when they made the anoucement maybe (see my post above) but when the product arrived it was meh

Last edited by a moderator:
i740 BTW ;) Intel purchased the IP from Real3D behind the i740. So it was completely their technology. It was their first entry into the graphics market. It really shook up the market. Everybody was scared about their place in the market when they made the announcement. But it was a necessary step for the evolution of Intel's market. With it they had a compelling argument for PCI's replacement: AGP.

Check the Wiki for more info.

I still have my retail Starfighter board, but it was one of the few that were in the flood. I had the original box too, but after it got wet I had to trash it. I don't think the card actually got wet though, but there's no guarantee.

Tommy

Ooops, typo hehe. i740 it is.

A real shame the box was lost! I do have a retail Starfighter as well, didn't test it yet.

I think Tommy ment that when it was announced that two well known reputed companies were going to release a gaming board, it really ruffled some feathers. :)

btw, as far as I know the i740 wasn't designed to compete with the Voodoo 2 anyway, but with the Voodoo 1. But obviously it was a bit late for that.

It did? half the speed of a voodoo2

when they made the anoucement maybe (see my post above) but when the product arrived it was meh

You're looking at it from an enthusiast/high-end view. Intel's competitors were not scared about its performance, but what it meant for the future of the market. Up till then ATI and others were sitting pretty with their share of the low-end & OEM market. They knew Intel would use their place in the CPU & motherboard market to go after that lucrative market. They were right to be worried as it did lead them to pretty much owning the low-end & eventually the discreet market(810, GMA, etc). They may have started with high ambitions with the gaming market (re: Starfighter), but the Intel i740 did get put in 10 other retail/OEM products & picked up quite a bit of market share for being their first entry. It may not have been real fast when it shipped, but it wasn't too bad for the low-end. This pretty muched changed how their competitors targeted the different markets going forward.

Tommy McClain

[EOCF] Tim;1276887 said:
Ooops, typo hehe. i740 it is.

A real shame the box was lost! I do have a retail Starfighter as well, didn't test it yet.

I think Tommy ment that when it was announced that two well known reputed companies were going to release a gaming board, it really ruffled some feathers. :)

btw, as far as I know the i740 wasn't designed to compete with the Voodoo 2 anyway, but with the Voodoo 1. But obviously it was a bit late for that.

I don't think it was even designed to compete with Voodoo 1 or 2. I believe they were going after ATI & NVIDIA's lucrative OEM market. They had to focus initially on gaining gamer approval because with it they would have an easier time owning the market.

Tommy McClain

I've made you guys some mag scans about the Starfighter card from Computer Gaming World:

Thanks for that scan, yea it is a very interesting board, the bridge chip was the part that made it that more expensive, very rare board actually, I don't think they sold many at all.

Here are high res pics of my two boards, one retail, one pre-production. :p

(Tag for the second board says prototype, but I made a mistake on that one, it's considered a pre-production or evaluation sample, not a prototype, still have got to edit that)

PS: IF ANYONE IS AFTER A I740
a magazine I read micromart in the classified section someone is selling a qdi s370 mboard with a celeron + hsf, 3x64mb ram, an intel network card, and a i740
for £5 + £3 postage
I'll post the details if anyone is interested

I had an i740. My first 3D accelerator with a game from Rage I think.

Memories... my first x86 PC too.

my first 3d "card" in early 2000 was a IGP from intel, a i810 running with a p3 600, the PC came with rage incoming, the first game I tested lol... the i810 IGP was based on the i740 I think (so came from real3d), it was really a impressive IGP, compared to the other sis and via stuff... at the time it could play current games quite fine,

Back