Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by Xenio, May 21, 2013.

1. RenegadeRocks

Legend

tiled textures, empty scene ,poly edges and a clealry discernable skybox image at the back. you can even see geometry planes at the back with tree textures. They are either missing their alpha or they won't be visible while racing. The lens flare is tying the whole image together, remove that and the defects will be even more clear. The only thing good about this image is the soft AO, lack of jaggies and crisp shadows. Since TOD is fixed, the AO and shadows might just be baked into the lightmap, hence so crisp and maybe thats why they didn't affect the car at all.

Not really the best shot to praise the game. There are definitely better. The autovista shots are where it looks absolutely next gen, this is not its best showing at all. The art direction is very good and the lighting also looks good. I think they just decided to focus on stellar car models for this one.
    Edit: or maybe most of the juice is being spent on physics we aren't aware of, yet. Just saying.

#441 RenegadeRocks, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  2. Averagejoe

Regular

I think this game just suffer from a case of been extremely rush,that video showing both versions running,wow some part actually look better on Forza 4,i think MS set a ridiculous time frame for this game considering that last year there was also another forza game release.

This game will probably hurt more the series than help it,it need at least 6 more months.

3. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Forza 5 was in development before Forza 4 shipped.
    There's no 'rushed' about it.

4. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Well we arent seeing the fruits from the new engine yet

5. scooby_dooby

Legend

Seriously,stop drinking the cool aid. "New" physics? "new" sound engine? Ya ok, I'm sure they just scrapped everything they have built over the last decade. Yes of course there's better lighting, better textures and higher resolution, but that's not enough to push it into true jaw dropping territory. It looks like what it is.

It's about focus and priorities really. At the end of the day, it's been 8 years since the first Forza and these features are long overdue. It's reasonable that fans would expect them to be there finally on the next-gen systems.

6. scooby_dooby

Legend

So they started Sep, 2011. That really is dissapointing if they had a full 2 year dev cycle and only produced this level of improvement. But I'm withholding final judgement till I play it myself...

7. expletive

Veteran

But only a few months with final hardware and probably still not 'final' drivers

8. RudeCurve

Banned

Who's going to notice that when going forward on the track? You'll only notice that if you're going backwards and at very slow speed.:wink:

I think you're trying too hard...

#448 RudeCurve, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Yah, the impact of this should definitely not be underestimated. Especially on the visual level.

10. Rockster

Regular

Dynamic weather actually doesn't even make it into their top 10 most requested features / enhancements. You'd be surprise how many people play Forza just to paint for example. I've spent quite a bit of time with lots of simulators, including those with dynamic weather, and while it can look cool at times (when it's not a pixelated disaster), it certainly doesn't do anything to enhance the actual "racing". Not sure why that has become the benchmark for "next-gen" all of a sudden. Improving the sounds (which IMO is already best in class), new racing modes, custom game-types, new livery-features, more tracks/cars, wheel support, rally, tuning and damage all rate higher than weather in the past forum polls I've seen on forzamotorsport.net.

11. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Dynamic weather did a world of a difference to me.

12. steveOrino

Regular

Wait, so first the texture is amazing and now its whos going to notice it anyway? Which is it?

Well what is Forza trying to be then? An arcade racer with licensed cars and tracks? In racing games I have played with dynamic weather it totally changes the race/tire strategy especially when you are playing with others. Why not have have it when its a critical part of every day racing?

Forza is after all trying to achieve install base and sales parity with that "other" big name console racing franchise so why not have it as another feature on the checklist?

13. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

What?! This is a racing sim, not an arcade racer. Weather is a fairly important dynamic to racing sim fans, as is night racing. It completely changes your strategy (using the appropriate tires) and the gameplay (visibility, traction etc.).

14. Averagejoe

Regular

Yes that is what they claim,which should like always be take with a grain of salt,they will never admit a game to be rush.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/forza-motorsport-5-requires-one-time-internet-connection

If the game wasn't rush it would be finish in time rather than having part of the game been deliver to you on day 1 download.

15. Tchock

Regular

Actually F5's biggest sore spot is the unevenness of verisimilitude: the cars and (asphalt) tracks look great, but the periphery scenery... occasionally not so much, and the fancy stuff really lacking.

Things that could have helped quite a bit: track-based particle debris, atmospheric scattering (real/faked), tweaked lighting in cockpit view (which I find detailed but unrealistic), better trees/leaves, weather effects (*PGR4* had it!)... just a few to come off my mind. Currently it looks slightly like a rough cut of a film in a post pipeline :lol:

16. Gubbi

Veteran

Amazing how much knowledge there is on this board about a unreleased game.

Cheers

17. scooby_dooby

Legend

Of course it does. Having variable weather, is akin to having a whole new variation on the core physics of the game. It add immense variety / fun-factor to the act of racing itself.

Rally support is definitely long overdue as well...

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

No, you never 'finish' an artistic creation. You just decide to stop at some point. You can always add more. When the original design for F5 was finished, lets say that was completed 6 months ago, they'd look at adding improvements, features that they originally dropped, looking for enhancements, etc. You won't find any computer game finished months before release. They are always being worked on right up until the final days, and then even after thanks to post-release patching. Forza 5 has been in development for two years according to the developers, and not thrown together in the last year in a mad rush (what would Turn 10 have been working on between Forza 4 release and F5 if not F5??). There's no way lack of time will account for any shortcomings in hardware utilisation. Lack of final hardware, or driver issues, and the ilk could be holding the game back, but not lack of time to work on it.

19. Rockster

Regular

Perfectly qualified. Thanks for that! And I'm sure there are lots of people who agree with you, as evidenced by others comments here. Just pointing out that among the games' current community, it may not be as important to them; and by extension T10.

Personally the last thing I want is changing track conditions, and getting pulled off the road by puddles, since my focus is making good turns and hence lap times. Looks like F5 will make us contend with variations in traction not only on different surface types but also with available grip when you stray off the extra rubber afforded on the racing line. Interesting the same people who dislike the bloom because of the visibility issues it creates, (which I agree with btw), want night racing which does the same but is a more "proper or realistic" challenge?

20. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Night racing is something I miss from the original Forza on the original Xbox. :/ Weather is also a perfect addition if they can implement it properly. And if it is dynamic all the better.

What Rockster says is interesting though. They have alternate times of day in some FM4's tracks.

But it is important to realise that variable weather changes the way people are going to play the game and it is going to affect lap times profoundly. And if the weather is dynamic then this is going to have a deeper effect on lap times.

The only way for this to work correctly is if T10 saves the lap times and splits the database and the lap times depending on the weather when a certain time was registered. Like in real life, there are drivers who would make to the top in dry conditions but have a hard time adapting to a track in rain conditions.

I am certainly disappointed by the lack of weather and such, but it is a launch game and you must understand T10 too. This was their official statement for Forza 4 on this very matter.

http://gamingbolt.com/forza-4-does-not-include-weather-effect-or-night-racing