Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

The textures and the graphics detail are light years away, quality-wise, in Forza 5 from Forza 4. Even so Forza 4 graphics can span a thousand years and still look decent.

What a crisp game, and it runs smooth as silk.

I remember when I purchased Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for the Xbox 360 and a month later I bought Forza 4, and after playing F4 I never went back to NFS, not because I dislike Arcades, it is a very fun game in fact, but because it looked blurry to me despite the fact it runs at 30 fps.

You hit the nail on the head, this is light years ahead in texture quality and modeling, the crispness of environments in Forza 4 are a testament to the skill of Turn 10 but Forza 5 raises that bar quite a bit.

I just recorded a 1080p 30 fps video of Forza 4 on Bernese Alps with a Pagani Huayra with every camera angle and I'm currently uploading it to Youtube. I'm hoping it gives people a better understanding of how Forza 4 actually looks.

Sadly Youtube compression masks a lot of the muddy textures and aliasing so it makes it look better than it really does.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98dz64LY4k

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTm77KBoO8k

Last edited by a moderator:
The textures and the graphics detail are light years away, quality-wise, in Forza 5 from Forza 4. Even so Forza 4 graphics can span a thousand years and still look decent.

What a crisp game, and it runs smooth as silk.

I remember when I purchased Need for Speed Hot Pursuit for the Xbox 360 and a month later I bought Forza 4, and after playing F4 I never went back to NFS, not because I dislike Arcades, it is a very fun game in fact, but because it looked blurry to me despite the fact it runs at 30 fps.

NFS Shift is the more comparable game to F4 but it also only runs at 30fps. I personally liked NFS Shift more than F4 in terms of graphics.

You say it's reusing a lot of assets yet the video you linked to shows that the track has been changed quite a bit and again comparing a unfinished game to a complete and polished game.

Unfinished game blah blah blah. I understand it is in development and the title may not be feature or content complete (better damn well be close in late Sept. with a Nov. launch). But if you and others can praise the game why cannot it have some criticism?

What you need to understand this is a $500 console -- more expensive than the 360 at launch -- and 9 years later. The HW should be allowing some kick ass software. Seeing as T10 had a complete and robust engine plus HD foundation to work from, plus a multi year dev cycle on hardware simple to target for in 2010, gamers and prospective consumers can set their own bar for what is compelling. IMO The console cost and time lag should allow for new immersive experiences henceforth never seen and/or a large leap in graphics. I ain't seeing it.

Reusing assets doesn't mean they are not updated or altered. And reusing assets doesn't mean (1) there are not new assets and (2) there are not significant changes. Suggesting that there are changes doesn't mean there isn't significant asset reuse. I bet T10 is not recreating every car, every texture, and every course from scratch. If they claim they are they are liars.

And to prove how silly the counterpoint is, that changes in assets disproves my statement, look at this Ryse shot. Same game. Still in development. Yet the developer has radically changed the assets:

http://i.minus.com/ibweIYsuiz9Sjm.gif

Also the textures, reflections, lighting and environmental/car modeling are much more improved on Forza 5.

FM4 is not much improved in those areas. Incrimental with areas it is no better.

And significantly I have a long post detailing the host of issues FM5 needed to address long before the title was announced. They address basically NONE of them. What they did do is uprez some textures and improve render quality when the game needs a significant reworking of the graphics engine.

I am not saying FM5 is a bad looking game. It obviously looks better. As a long time Forza fan (I have 3 copies FM2, 2 copies FM3, and 3 copies FM4) they failed to address not just key visual issues but also failed to expand the great gameplay in the areas it is weak (T10 has a nice habit of toting the MS company line for whatever tarty platform feature MS wants to promote that is destined to fail.) Forza 5 looks like Forza 4.5 or a "Forza HD". They added some new content (removed others), and added/tweaked content. But it looks to be essentially the same core game and experience. A jaded race fan would say this is true of all racing games. For my mileage FM2,3, and 4 made substantial changes. As FM5 is on new, much better HW, I expect the same or greater leap. Agree to disagree, but I don't see it.

I have almost all the current gen racers , either on 360 on ps3. From semi sims like Grind , Shift to arcades like NFS and Split/Second .
There is something that put Forza 4 above them all . It's crispy , has vivid colours , it's very pleasing to look at ... imo in a different league than other racers (same for GT5). Both are at the very top.

(I put two games in a special category - PGR and Motorstorm . The only ones that look - at times - like cgi . They are just amazing.)

I think I feel the same way. Having owned all the forza's (collectors editions of 360 ones - which entitles me to 2.3x opinion relevance :mrgreen:) I'm a tad disappointed with the direction they seem to be going.

At the end of the day, the graphics aren't going to be what sells me - but they can put me off a game instantly. Having exaggerated bloom and lens flares just irritates me enormously. My initial reaction when seeing the tunnel bloom was "ohh ffs" and I closed the video.

Yet there has been little talk about how the core experience has improved. I wanted to love FM4 so much, but it just didn't click. The single player lacked challenge even more than FM3 while they multiplayer didn't address many of the glaring issues found in FM3.

Unfinished game blah blah blah. I understand it is in development and the title may not be feature or content complete (better damn well be close in late Sept. with a Nov. launch). But if you and others can praise the game why cannot it have some criticism?

What you need to understand this is a $500 console -- more expensive than the 360 at launch -- and 9 years later. The HW should be allowing some kick ass software. Seeing as T10 had a complete and robust engine plus HD foundation to work from, plus a multi year dev cycle on hardware simple to target for in 2010, gamers and prospective consumers can set their own bar for what is compelling. IMO The console cost and time lag should allow for new immersive experiences henceforth never seen and/or a large leap in graphics. I ain't seeing it.

Reusing assets doesn't mean they are not updated or altered. And reusing assets doesn't mean (1) there are not new assets and (2) there are not significant changes. Suggesting that there are changes doesn't mean there isn't significant asset reuse. I bet T10 is not recreating every car, every texture, and every course from scratch. If they claim they are they are liars.

And to prove how silly the counterpoint is, that changes in assets disproves my statement, look at this Ryse shot. Same game. Still in development. Yet the developer has radically changed the assets:

http://i.minus.com/ibweIYsuiz9Sjm.gif

FM4 is not much improved in those areas. Incrimental with areas it is no better.

And significantly I have a long post detailing the host of issues FM5 needed to address long before the title was announced. They address basically NONE of them. What they did do is uprez some textures and improve render quality when the game needs a significant reworking of the graphics engine.

I am not saying FM5 is a bad looking game. It obviously looks better. As a long time Forza fan (I have 3 copies FM2, 2 copies FM3, and 3 copies FM4) they failed to address not just key visual issues but also failed to expand the great gameplay in the areas it is weak (T10 has a nice habit of toting the MS company line for whatever tarty platform feature MS wants to promote that is destined to fail.) Forza 5 looks like Forza 4.5 or a "Forza HD". They added some new content (removed others), and added/tweaked content. But it looks to be essentially the same core game and experience. A jaded race fan would say this is true of all racing games. For my mileage FM2,3, and 4 made substantial changes. As FM5 is on new, much better HW, I expect the same or greater leap. Agree to disagree, but I don't see it.

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong, you guys are making Forza 4 sound way better graphically than it actually is.

The textures and modeling are light years ahead and at 60 fps they can manage 16 or more Autovista cars on track at once this game is in a new league as it should be.

Forza 5 looks like Forza 4.5 or a "Forza HD".

I trust a friend from Spain, he tested a recent demo and he said me that Forza 5 is the only game that looks next gen, no PS4 game (he can't test Killzone) no Ryse multiplayer demo, only Forza 5 demo.

If they aren't redoing every car, why would the car list be so much shorter FM4. I guess they could bring the old cars forward ala GT but have decided not to. And the 360 was at least as superior to the original Xbox as XB1 is to the 360 (different power targets this gen), but FM2 was a buggy mess and not even a launch title. The jump to FM3 was enormous. Comparing 360 and XB1 launch lineups, these look like much better efforts across the board. I know lots of people who spent more money on launch PS3's for less day one functionality than what you'd get here; just to have the latest and greatest. So while I get the point you're making, I don't think this is anything unexpected or without historical precedent, and a fact of life with console maturity.

I'm sorry but you're completely wrong, you guys are making Forza 4 sound way better graphically than it actually is.

The textures and modeling are light years ahead and at 60 fps they can manage 16 or more Autovista cars on track at once this game is in a new league as it should be.
Criticism is neither right or wrong, it's his opinion. We have several people here who have played the Forza series a lot saying that it's not a significant upgrade. I guess we're all wrong. There's still time before release, but so far, other than the paint shaders (and sound), I don't see a big upgrade either. I have no doubt that Forza 6 will look great, though.

Criticism is neither right or wrong, it's his opinion. We have several people here who have played the Forza series a lot saying that it's not a significant upgrade. I guess we're all wrong. There's still time before release, but so far, other than the paint shaders (and sound), I don't see a big upgrade either. I have no doubt that Forza 6 will look great, though.

This has to be a joke?

Honestly guys? When is the last time you've played Forza 4? The textures aren't even close, the modeling isn't even close and the car models are a gigantic leap.

Not to mention Forza Motorsport 5 uses the same car models for everything while Forza 4 uses a much lower quality car model for actual races.

This has to be a joke?

Honestly guys? When is the last time you've played Forza 4? The textures aren't even close, the modeling isn't even close and the car models are a gigantic leap.

I don't think anyone says it doesn't look good . Because it does . But it's not the visual leap we were expecting - it "looks" a lot like F4 . Yes , better textures , higher res , an effect here and there ... all these are more like a lifting .
If it looked like this BUT had weather , night races etc , then yes , that would be a different story . But everything that was missing in previous Forzas , is still missing here . And no , i'm not content with just 1080p and .. three layers of paint .
Sorry , but for me at least looks like a quick and dirty port and certainly not $500 worthy .

That's actually kind of cool that they bothered to give the steel tower structure an actual stainless steel texture. Stainless steel for building things, not stainless steel for countertops. :) Something that you'll never see while racing, but makes a world of difference if you are trying to convey something approaching realism in a replay.

I wonder if those textures are always there except when LOD determines it's far enough away that it wouldn't be visible anyway.

And, of course, my standard disappointment with every single launch title for both consoles. Wish there was at least 4x MSAA + better transparency AA.

Regards,
SB

Sorry , but for me at least looks like a quick and dirty port and certainly not $500 worthy .

Sorry but it is dumb that one person spend $500 for a game. There will be more than 20 games at launch.

Not a flamebait or anything like that, but the disappointment is valid. Those screens do not seem next gen in the way Ryse, KZ, WD, InfamousSS does. Maybe these are particularly bland, but then this is what we will see when we race, not the autovista photomode. Even if this is a racer, we would expect a show of lot of geometry, atleast, or lots of dynamic effects, something to elevate it over the last gen.

Not a flamebait or anything like that, but the disappointment is valid. Those screens do not seem next gen in the way Ryse, KZ, WD, InfamousSS does. Maybe these are particularly bland, but then this is what we will see when we race, not the autovista photomode. Even if this is a racer, we would expect a show of lot of geometry, atleast, or lots of dynamic effects, something to elevate it over the last gen.

RYSE, KZ, WD and Infamous don't run at a locked 60 fps at all times with 16+ Autovista cars on track at once.

There are a lot of dynamic events going on these tracks, some have up to 400,000 spectators on a single track.

http://minus.com/lS2jnLMuRrKJ5
http://minus.com/lbc2atWogPHHHo
http://minus.com/lbxN9piUh2XLhB
http://minus.com/lKrOlTnzizI5H
http://minus.com/lbg3DX7w6D2gRw
http://minus.com/l0nQ4kNnorTZs
http://minus.com/ls97OjsE8lU2K
http://minus.com/lmaZFB2cRyyTR
http://minus.com/lxitzuP0jEbAD
http://minus.com/lnGddqQG9nbir

Quick and dirty port right.... the above were taken with a Elgato capture card at the highest quality 1080p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back