First Colin McRae: Dirt Preview(Xbox360)

Note: GT4 can for all i know have a very sophisticated physics engine, but i nothing that i've noticed when playing has shown that.

Then pay more attention! Look at how the car leans in the turns, and moves forward and backward on the springs under braking and accelleration, for instance. Or the way the wheel and its springs react to the surface it drives on. That's a fairly sophisticated physics engine at work right there, that is actually not even present in some of the other games (note how Forza 1 cars don't lean forward under braking for instance)

Was GT4 that computationally intensive? I was under the impression it used a drastically simplified model for the physics that worked well but wasn't that complex. It had good feedback, like the ride height change but nothing it did seemed that intricate (this is all relatively speaking of course, compared to other console racers).

Was GT4 that computationally intensive? I was under the impression it used a drastically simplified model for the physics that worked well but wasn't that complex. It had good feedback, like the ride height change but nothing it did seemed that intricate (this is all relatively speaking of course, compared to other console racers).

That's my impression too, even SEGA GT and TXR on DC had some pretty nice suspension physics. Oh and yes the front suspension compresses under braking too. ;)

That's my impression too, even SEGA GT and TXR on DC had some pretty nice suspension physics. Oh and yes the front suspension compresses under braking too. ;)

PGR2 had interesting physics and the suspensions did compress.

Then pay more attention! Look at how the car leans in the turns, and moves forward and backward on the springs under braking and accelleration, for instance. Or the way the wheel and its springs react to the surface it drives on. That's a fairly sophisticated physics engine at work right there, that is actually not even present in some of the other games (note how Forza 1 cars don't lean forward under braking for instance)

I actually got Forza recently ($6 at EB games) and for the record, cars do lean under breaking.

I actually got Forza recently ($6 at EB games) and for the record, cars do lean under breaking.

you bet

some people have no idea what actually happens in Xbox or Xbox 360 games when positing on this forum. It's as if some of them have never actually played them ;) (except for here or there for a bit) and then assume it can not be as good as their beloved games.

you bet

some people have no idea what actually happens in Xbox or Xbox 360 games when positing on this forum. It's as if some of them have never actually played them ;) (except for here or there for a bit) and then assume it can not be as good as their beloved games.

Actually, FWIR, PGR3 did this as well. :???:

{blocked} can someone tell me what this is?

it's a prerendered CG trailer of CMR DIRT, possibility using assests from the game, but still prerenderd.

Colin McRae DIRT: First Video
Beautiful cars, rugged terrain and big old mud flaps... sounds like a job for Colin McRae!
by Rob Burman, IGN UK

UK, March 27, 2007 - Finally, Codemasters is revving its engines and providing a peek at the upcoming - and highly anticipated - Colin McRae: DIRT, in a brand new trailer, showing off a rubber-melting FMV sequence.

IGN set to unleash an updated hands-on with Colin McRae: DIRT - set to hit PS3, Xbox 360 and PC - tomorrow, so make a U-turn for that if you want to hear more about the game.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/776/776221p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha video commercial of Motorstorm right before the DIRT FMV. Anyhow, some previews said it looked as good as the screenshots so you wonder why the FMV (marketing campaign needed to be ready?) At least they are calling it FMV. One thing I liked about Motorstorm was there were a lot of vehicles with a focus on contact whereas DIRT seems to be more rally focused. I like the car contact.

Anyhow, some previews said it looked as good as the screenshots so you wonder why the FMV (marketing campaign needed to be ready?)
My guess? The two are independent of each other and can be easily done in parallel without incurring game delay. So, yeah, basically what you said. :p

I'm kinda disappointed in the lack of H-pattern shifting support for the G25. Theres not too many console games that support it, it seems. :/
I'll still probably get the game though. Motorstorm gave me my off road acarde fix, this should give me a more simulation off road fix. :p

IN GAME video available Thursday 3/29 on Xbox Live Marketplace

The latest game in the best-selling Colin McRae series now has a downloadable online trailer available to view.

In the Colin McRae: Dirt trailer, the footage opens with cliff-edge cornering on Pikes Peak, one of the Hill Climb events. The video trails the bump and grind of buggy racing and reveals McRae’s very own prototype performance car, the R4, in a dramatic crash sequence.

Created using in-game vehicle and environmental models, this, according to Codemasters, "is just a first taste of the exhilaration Colin McRae: Dirt promises when it launches this June for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC, with a PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system edition following shortly after."

In the full game, the rally terrain ranges from the narrow mountain roads of Spain, the twisting forest roads of UK, the technical vineyard stages of Germany and through to the fast flowing turns of the hill climb racing in the U.S. There’s also full on off-road events in Italy, France, Germany, Japan and Australia.

Beyond this trailer video, the first ‘in-game footage’ video will launch tomorrow, Thursday, March 29, and will be available to download exclusively from Xbox Live Marketplace.

Back