Which is better?

• No, Opera is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IE all the way, baby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
radeonic2 said:
Hours? Try seconds :LOL:
FF has basic functionality built in, perhaps you want mouse gestures built in?
The most important thing is a flexible, customizable UI. Firefox doesn't have that. And yeah, why no built-in mouse gestures, I consider that basic functionality, too. Opera has all that packed up in a 3.5mb package - smaller than Firefox.

How could it be snappier than FF, nothing slows down FF, cept when you use all your memory up when viewing extremely image heavy pages.
I said it FEELS snappier. There are things about the look and feel of applications that cannot be measured in milliseconds.

Besides, the UI of Firefox simply sucks. If you want to open a new tab you either have to press CTRL-T, go through the dropdown menu or double click on the tab bar - but there is no tab bar until you open a second tab. I wonder who is the moron who designed that system.

Why doesn't FF have a flexible password management like Opera? Why doesn't it have the rewind button? Why isn't important functionality directly accessible from the drop down menues instead of having to go through the options? Where is the auto-reload feature? Where is the icon that opens me a new, empty tab? Where is the zoom option? And why doesn't FF save the opened tabs when I close the browser so I can continue where I was next time I start the browser - that's a big one for me?

The ad banner IS instrusive, why would anyone want to stare at an ad while they browse?
I don't know about you but when I use the internet I look at the page's content and not the upper right corner of the browser where the ad banner is placed.

and I dont even like the pay version of opera because it's missing the uber extentions FF has
Like what?

it may not have all the built in functionality you want, but atleast if you can think of something it doesn't have, you can find an extention in seconds.
That hasn't been my experience. I am still looking for a simple extension that lets me move the fucking tab bar to the bottom of the browser window. Oh, I am sure there is one but I can't find it because of the crappy functionality descriptions of the extensions.

You have to INSTALL most extension if you want to know what exactly they do because desciptions like "Enables enhanced control for tabbed browsing" or "Select actions for clicking events on a tab or the tabbar" doesn't tell you anything.

"Seconds" my ass.

If they have a good adblocker, it would be alot better, because you seriously can't come across many pages without ads.
Opera has had an pop-up blocker long before there even WAS Firefox. It even has a blocker for flash scripts. That takes care of the most annoying ads.

I don't belive in filtering banner ads because many web sites depend on the revenue generated from them. Filtering them would be parasitic. I find it questioable that a browser comes with functionlity that actively sabotages the financing of free services. Just imagine if FF had a 80% market share... and you'd see a lot of free services die.
The optimal browsing solution should be FF for browsing regular pages, and opera for browsing image heavy pages.
As long as Firefox doesn't have an acceptable UI and just sucks donkey balls when it comes to usability and UI ergonomics. It's inferior to everything except plain-vanilla IE. Hell, there are even free IE front-ends like Avant Browser or MYIE2 that are so much better than Firefox. Firefox has still a lot of growing up to do in the UI department. It's barely usable as it is now.

It's far from the"optimal browsing solution". Migrating from Opera to Firefox would be serious downgrade.

L233 said:
Besides, the UI of Firefox simply sucks. If you want to open a new tab you either have to press CTRL-T, go through the dropdown menu or double click on the tab bar - but there is no tab bar until you open a second tab. I wonder who is the moron who designed that system.

i open tabs by clicking middle mouse button....or using mouse gestures (press right mouse and slightly pull it up, u can configure mouse gestures as u like).

so only moron is person that doesnt wanna even try to see what options are there.

L233 said:
The most important thing is a flexible, customizable UI.
Most programs don't have that, not a biggie for me personally.

And yeah, why no built-in mouse gestures
That si teh useless for me. Don't care.

I said it FEELS snappier. There are things about the look and feel of applications that cannot be measured in milliseconds.
I wouldn't be surprised if Opera is (much) faster than FF; the graphics routines is the suckiest part of the program right now IMO. They're way slow and CPU-hungry compared to IE, plus buggy.

but there is no tab bar until you open a second tab. I wonder who is the moron who designed that system.
:LOL: I guess some smartass is going to direct a kick towards your hindquarters for that one, I'll merely point quietly towards the options menu; there's a toggle for just that sort of thing there... I myself prefer no tab bar when I only have one site open, less screenspace taken up by GUI overhead that way.

Why doesn't it have the rewind button?
I wasn't aware the internet required rewinding! :LOL: What does it do, this rewind button of yours?
Where is the auto-reload feature?
Why do you need that?
Where is the icon that opens me a new, empty tab?
Um, on the nav-bar perhaps? :p
Where is the zoom option?
Why do you need that?
And why doesn't FF save the opened tabs when I close the browser
Good question. I'd like a feature like that as well. Um, at least sometimes I would, heh. Like, if there were two close buttons for the browser, one that saved my open tabs and one that did not. Most of the time I really don't want the browser to start loading up a load of tabs when I start it up and bug the hell out of me until I've managed to get them all closed again, yet every once in a while it would be a neat feature.

I don't know about you but when I use the internet I look at the page's content and not the upper right corner
Just knowing it's there would bug the hell out of me... I hate adware with an intensity that few other things can match, except smokers, and maybe people who sit in their cars they've parked halfway up on a sidewalk and idle their engines for no reason whatsoever. :p

It even has a blocker for flash scripts.
I wouldn't want to block flash altogether, I would however very much enjoy a right-click menu that would kill a particular flash animation...

silence said:
i open tabs by clicking middle mouse button....or using mouse gestures (press right mouse and slightly pull it up, u can configure mouse gestures as u like).
Clicking the middle mouse button on a link opens the link in a new tab, yes. That's not what I am talking about, though. Open a web page, just one. Then try to open another BLANK tab.

Oh, btw, the "hide the tab bar when only one web site is opened" option doesn't seem to work, unchecking it does nothing. It would kind of solve the problem if ti worked.

This is just one of the smaller of FF's UI annoyances anyway.

silence said:
in my whole internet experience, _ONLY_ banners i ever clicked was by mistake, so i love adblock.
Often you don't have to click a banner/ad to make an impression - simply viewing it does the job.
it removes them and makes _MY_ experience better. and it is also _MY_ clicks that make traffic which sells adds....and _MY_ bandwidth, which _I_ pay (cause of fucked up monopoly here)....

so if _I_ want to save _MY_ money by blocking useless shit i have no problem with that.
So it's all about _YOU_ is it? What about the webmasters who provide the content for the sites you view for free? Who pays for _THEIR_ bandwidth you are using for free and _THEIR_ time and effort? You are expecting all that for free and yet can't even be bothered to waste a few milliseconds of your time to help fund the sites you view? If everybody had the same attitude as you then sites like this, which you are leeching from without giving even a scrap back to, wouldn't exist? Then what would you do with all your precious bandwidth?

L233 said:
Then try to open another BLANK tab.

Mouse gestures....right click+up == new EMPTY tab for me.
+ button "Open new tab" in UI

L233 said:

extension "Reload Every".

L233 said:

extension "image Zoom"

L233 said:
And why doesn't FF save the opened tabs when I close the browser

extension "Session Saver"

L233 said:
I wouldn't want to block flash altogether, I would however very much enjoy a right-click menu that would kill a particular flash animation...

extension "Nuke Anything"

as for my browsing, if you had croatian salary and croatian prices you would stop your crusade against adblock....thats all i gonna say.....
not everyone has:
a) broadband - 56k users prolly like that feature
b) flatrate - i block every single add i can.... and another reason for that is that they come with fucking cookies that i do _NOT_ want on my comp.
i allowed total of 20 cookies on in FF.
most adds come with cookies....which offcourse monitor what u do and blah, blah....
let's say i simply dont like idea of some company getting info on what i do....that _MY_ personal thing....

silence said:
as for my browsing, if you had croatian salary and croatian prices you would stop your crusade against adblock....thats all i gonna say.....
It's hardly a "crusade" I was merely pointing out the implications of your actions. The fact also remains that whilst you personally may be on a low salary many of the advocates of AdBlock are extremely well-off and have massive bandwidth.

most adds come with cookies....which offcourse monitor what u do and blah, blah....
You can block tracking cookies without blocking banner ads - the two are completely separate things.

i know i can block separatly. i just dont like banners.... never did, never will.
for me they are just as annoying as commercials in TV shows or before movie in theathre....same shit....

Guden Oden said:
:LOL: I guess some smartass is going to direct a kick towards your hindquarters for that one, I'll merely point quietly towards the options menu; there's a toggle for just that sort of thing there... I myself prefer no tab bar when I only have one site open, less screenspace taken up by GUI overhead that way.
As I said, the option does nothing for me. It doesn't matter if I check or uncheck that option, there never is a tab bar when I only have one page opened. It's not a big deal, but all the small annoyances add up.

I wasn't aware the internet required rewinding! :LOL: What does it do, this rewind button of yours?
The rewind/fast forward buttons are a pretty nice feature. FF allows you to navigate e.g. through image galleries without having to return to the index site. You simply click FF and the next image in the sequence loads. Rewind takes you straight back to the first page. This also works for stuff like search engine results etc.

Why do you need that?
Because it's convenient. I always have a few news sites and message boards opened and having them reload automatically every few minutes is just convenient.

Where is the icon that opens me a new, empty tab?
Um, on the nav-bar perhaps? :p
Where? I don't see it. I can prolly put the icon there somehow but it's such a basic function, it should be there to begin with and not make me jump through hoops just to get the most basic icons placed in the UI.

Why do you need that?
Because it's useful. Some web sites use too small fonts and it's sometimes nice to be able to zoom into graphics and such.

Most of the time I really don't want the browser to start loading up a load of tabs when I start it up and bug the hell out of me until I've managed to get them all closed again, yet every once in a while it would be a neat feature.
Opera asks if you want to continue from the last session when you start it up.

silence said:
extension "Reload Every".
extension "image Zoom"
extension "Session Saver"
extension "Nuke Anything"
I don't want to zoom just images, I want to zoom web pages. Anyway, the point is that you get all that stuff all integrated into one coherent, pretty UI and wrapped up in a compact 3.5mb download without having to hunt for a shitload of extensions, which does not "take seconds". The extension site accessible from the browser is a fucking mess, I can't find anything useful there, there isn't even a decent search function.

let's say i simply dont like idea of some company getting info on what i do....that _MY_ personal thing....
Cookies are harmless, I never understood the paranoia surrounding them. You can disable them in Opera if you want to.

L233 said:
As I said, the option does nothing for me.
Well, you hadn't said that at the time I was writing my reply, but fair enough. Chalk up that one to bugs then, it'll be fixed. I have always had that option set to not show the bar when only one tab is open so I never noticed anything peculiar with it.
The rewind/fast forward buttons are a pretty nice feature.
You'll have to excuse me, but that sounds completely useless to me. Sorry, but I can click the next link myself the few times I'm looking at image galleries (hardly ever), and there are forwards/back thumb-buttons on my mouse I find very handy too even though they don't do exactly the same thing. I can't imagine having that feature of yours would save me more than a few seconds of time at most per week... Cool you like it, but not for me.
I always have a few news sites and message boards opened and having them reload automatically every few minutes is just convenient.
Reloading stuff automatically is just wasting website bandwidth and server cycles. It's not "convenient", it's LAZY.
I can prolly put the icon there somehow
If it isn't there as default (which I think it was for me, but I'm not sure as I always fiddle with the default buttons, I have no use for most of them), you can put it there simply by right-clicking the toolbar and selecting "customize". That is HARDLY 'jumping through hoops'... :p Think of all the work you have to do to write an email! Selecting recipient, perhaps even typing it in by hand, writing subject, AND the actual body of the text too, then hitting "send"... OH THE HORROR! This on the other hand is much easier. :D
Some web sites use too small fonts and it's sometimes nice to be able to zoom into graphics and such.
But why have zoom only for the web browser when you could run a much more comprehensive zoom utility and get zoom anywhere in your OS. Sounds like a very fringe feature that few ever use.
Opera asks if you want to continue from the last session when you start it up.
I think I'd go nuts if it asked me every time it started up... :) At least 98 times out of 100 I just want a blank browser window as quickly as possible so I can surf wherever I want to. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!, sort of. If there was a button in the toolbar that said "save session" and it then asked me next time it started and ONLY then, or there was another "recall session" button, then I'd enjoy such a feature. But not if it just asks me every time it loads up as a knee-jerk response, that's just irritating. :p

L233 said:
The ad-banner in the free version is so unintrusive (it doesn't blink or anything) that you completely forget that it's there after a short time. I eventually bought a lincense, not because I wanted to get rid of the banner (which didn't bother me at all) but because I wanted to support this great piece of software.

I have the free version with ads, I totally forgot, its that unobtrusive.

Guden Oden said:
I think I'd go nuts if it asked me every time it started up... :) At least 98 times out of 100 I just want a blank browser window as quickly as possible so I can surf wherever I want to. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am!, sort of. If there was a button in the toolbar that said "save session" and it then asked me next time it started and ONLY then, or there was another "recall session" button, then I'd enjoy such a feature. But not if it just asks me every time it loads up as a knee-jerk response, that's just irritating. :p

http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=166

check that ;)

you get 2 new buttons..."Save Session" and "Load Session"
Mine is configuered to load saved session when i click, so i dont start where i ended my surfing...unless there was crash, then it restores it.

enjoy

L233 said:
radeonic2 said:
Hours? Try seconds :LOL:
FF has basic functionality built in, perhaps you want mouse gestures built in?
The most important thing is a flexible, customizable UI. Firefox doesn't have that. And yeah, why no built-in mouse gestures, I consider that basic functionality, too. Opera has all that packed up in a 3.5mb package - smaller than Firefox.

How could it be snappier than FF, nothing slows down FF, cept when you use all your memory up when viewing extremely image heavy pages.

Why doesn't FF have a flexible password management like Opera? Why doesn't it have the rewind button? Why isn't important functionality directly accessible from the drop down menues instead of having to go through the options? Where is the auto-reload feature? Where is the icon that opens me a new, empty tab? Where is the zoom option? And why doesn't FF save the opened tabs when I close the browser so I can continue where I was next time I start the browser - that's a big one for me?

The ad banner IS instrusive, why would anyone want to stare at an ad while they browse?
I don't know about you but when I use the internet I look at the page's content and not the upper right corner of the browser where the ad banner is placed.

and I dont even like the pay version of opera because it's missing the uber extentions FF has
Like what?

it may not have all the built in functionality you want, but atleast if you can think of something it doesn't have, you can find an extention in seconds.
That hasn't been my experience. I am still looking for a simple extension that lets me move the fucking tab bar to the bottom of the browser window. Oh, I am sure there is one but I can't find it because of the crappy functionality descriptions of the extensions.

You have to INSTALL most extension if you want to know what exactly they do because desciptions like "Enables enhanced control for tabbed browsing" or "Select actions for clicking events on a tab or the tabbar" doesn't tell you anything.

"Seconds" my ass.

If they have a good adblocker, it would be alot better, because you seriously can't come across many pages without ads.
Opera has had an pop-up blocker long before there even WAS Firefox. It even has a blocker for flash scripts. That takes care of the most annoying ads.

I don't belive in filtering banner ads because many web sites depend on the revenue generated from them. Filtering them would be parasitic. I find it questioable that a browser comes with functionlity that actively sabotages the financing of free services. Just imagine if FF had a 80% market share... and you'd see a lot of free services die.
The optimal browsing solution should be FF for browsing regular pages, and opera for browsing image heavy pages.
As long as Firefox doesn't have an acceptable UI and just sucks donkey balls when it comes to usability and UI ergonomics. It's inferior to everything except plain-vanilla IE. Hell, there are even free IE front-ends like Avant Browser or MYIE2 that are so much better than Firefox. Firefox has still a lot of growing up to do in the UI department. It's barely usable as it is now.

It's far from the"optimal browsing solution". Migrating from Opera to Firefox would be serious downgrade.
It's not basic no matter how much you wan't it to be, I swear you work for opera in order to be such a fucking tool.
If i want to open a new tab, I right click and move the mouse up.
FF password systems pwns, what more could you want? If you forget a password, you can show your saved passwords.
Auto reload is overrated :LOL:
You can take 2 seconds and download session saver.
Like what?
Here's some
firefoxextensions.jpg

I'm sorry if you have a reading comprehension problem, I knew exactly what all my extensions did just by looking at the name, and maybe a few comments.
You don't believe filtering adds? How convienant, a kickass extension that FF has and you don't believe in what it does, BOO FUCKING HOO :LOL:
Do you click all the ads on a page or something?
You realize IF FF has 80% of the market, most of them would be completely clueless? You think they'd even install 1 extension?
I still don't know what the hell you talking about with the UI, with my 2500, everything is snappy, if FF has some growing up to do, it's in the memory management(images specifically) department, and perhaps haveing a seperate download that includes some extensions, btw, I really dont care about big of a download something is untill it's huge, I have 4mb internet, it takes maybe a minute to get FF.
You haven't explained, without major bias, why opera is so superior to FF, you'd only said a whole bunch of bullshit about the UI, which is fine, and how you have a moral objection to an extension that someone made, which isn't even built in to the browser.
I see you're getting throughy owned by fellow FF users, so I'll stop my post right here.

Dunno, does anyone else feel that this "my extension list ist longer" dick waving contest does really prove my point?

Anyway, I don't feel like doing the whole quote-and-flame thing with clueless FF zealots right now and will write up a more in depth feature discussion of Opera later.

L233 said:
Dunno, does anyone else feel that this "my extension list ist longer" dick waving contest does really prove my point?

Anyway, I don't feel like doing the whole quote-and-flame thing with clueless FF zealots right now and will write up a more in depth feature discussion of Opera later.
No, in order to make it like opera, you only need mouse gestures, and session saver, perhaps a few othes, like tabbrowser preferances.
The others are just to enhance the experience.

radeonic2 said:
No, in order to make it like opera, you only need mouse gestures, and session saver, perhaps a few othes, like tabbrowser preferances.
The others are just to enhance the experience.

You have obviously never used Opera seriously.

Back