FireFox tuner

Guden Oden said:
So why doesn't the program default to these settings as standard, because they WANT it to run slower...? :oops:

If it's the trick of increasing active connections above two, it technically breaks RFC standards. Other options (like enabling pipelining) can fail on old webservers that don't handle it properly. This looks like a packaging of all the various little tweaks you can do manually into a nice, simple GUI frontend.

I guess the Firefox guys want it to be as compatible and safe as possible out of the box.

hey..dont ask me....all i know is that i noticed difference on 1.5 Mbit conn, which means it changed right settings....
i was playing with pipelining and other settings before, but this changes order how pages are rendered...IMO, pretty usefull.

silence said:
hey..dont ask me....all i know is that i noticed difference on 1.5 Mbit conn, which means it changed right settings....
i was playing with pipelining and other settings before, but this changes order how pages are rendered...IMO, pretty usefull.

One of the "standard" tweaks is to change how long Firefox waits on a page elements before trying to render it. Although this can speed up how a page appears (starts rendering instantly without waiting to get the rest of the page/layout), other pages with a lot of elements may appear to be slower because FF will have to keep redrawing the page as more elements come down the line. It could be especially bad on dial-up or with slow websites.

As I said above, the default settings tend to play it safe, trying to give a balanced browsing experience. There's nothing to stop you tweaking everything to extreme settings, and this program seems to do it all for you without bothering you with the details. It's just worth bearing in mind that the reasons why these arn't the default settings is because there is often a downside (depending on your configuration) to choosing these tweaked settings, that the average user might not understand.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
One of the "standard" tweaks is to change how long Firefox waits on a page elements before trying to render it. Although this can speed up how a page appears (starts rendering instantly without waiting to get the rest of the page/layout), other pages with a lot of elements may appear to be slower because FF will have to keep redrawing the page as more elements come down the line. It could be especially bad on dial-up or with slow websites.

As I said above, the default settings tend to play it safe, trying to give a balanced browsing experience. There's nothing to stop you tweaking everything to extreme settings, and this program seems to do it all for you without bothering you with the details. It's just worth bearing in mind that the reasons why these arn't the default settings is because there is often a downside (depending on your configuration) to choosing these tweaked settings, that the average user might not understand.

thats why Firetune has multiple options for fast or slow comp on fast or slow connection..... ;)
from what i read around people on slower conns see improvements also...maybe even more noticable then someone on 1+ Mbit conn....

Back