Finland to finally win the Eurovision song contest

Blitzkrieg said:
Lordi remind me of ManoWar, basically a big punch of posers whose music can be ok/good but the lyrics are really weak and can make me laugh they are so terrible sometimes.
Hey, MANOWAR are great... at least at 80's they were .

And the fact that these guys had won the contest just comes to show how low is the quality of Eurovision IMHO.

Finland rulz and etc. but the fromtman can't sing... or if he can he very successfully is pretending to not be able.
And such "win" is a shame to all hard rock and metal bands who make good music AND singing

Sincerely (and I say this as a long-time musician and metal fan), Manowar is THE worst band in the world bar none. My ears instantly start bleeding when I hear them.

Blitzkrieg said:
I ended looking up Lordi some more, and GWAR(never heard of them b4). Lordi remind me of ManoWar, basically a big punch of posers whose music can be ok/good but the lyrics are really weak and can make me laugh they are so terrible sometimes.
I don't think Manowar is a valid comparison. Lordi's lyrics are trashy and hilarious on purpose, they don't take themselves serious. Manowar on the other hand don't even have the slightest smidgeon of humor and Joey DeMaio is one fucked up individual. The insane crap this guy is spouting in every interview is amazing. Plus, they're a pretty weak live band. Their biggest asset has always been Eric Adams who was arguably the best rock/metal vocalist back in the 80s but since then his voice went down the drain, prolly because of steroid abuse - or so the rumors say.

Humus said:
I haven't heard of GWAR before so I can't compare, but as far as being mainstream, this particular song is a bit more more mainstream than Lordi's other songs, which is probably because it's aimed at a much wider audience.

Hard rock hallelujah was just a song from their new album, it wasn't made for Eurovision, it was one of the single release candidates and it was received better than the other single candidate, so it was chosen for the finnish qualification, Lordi originally entered the qualification just to get some TV-time, well now they got plenty, and I'm sure their records get a nice boost in sale charts...

L233 said:
I don't think Manowar is a valid comparison. Lordi's lyrics are trashy and hilarious on purpose, they don't take themselves serious. Manowar on the other hand don't even have the slightest smidgeon of humor and Joey DeMaio is one fucked up individual. The insane crap this guy is spouting in every interview is amazing. Plus, they're a pretty weak live band. Their biggest asset has always been Eric Adams who was arguably the best rock/metal vocalist back in the 80s but since then his voice went down the drain, prolly because of steroid abuse - or so the rumors say.

Come on, Manowar is hilarious, exactly _because_ the are so damn serious about themselves. (Okok, maybe I've got a strange kind of humour...)
DeMaio's interviews always leave me with the suspicion that maybe, just maybe it is all a big joke on his part....:)

Regarding live performance - I heard them back at Dynamo '98 (or was it '99? My memory of that time is a bit hazy...:cool:) and, expecting the worst, I was quite pleasantly surprised. OTOH, that could have something to do with my sketchy recollection of these festivals...

Snyder said:
Come on, Manowar is hilarious, exactly _because_ the are so damn serious about themselves. (Okok, maybe I've got a strange kind of humour...)
DeMaio's interviews always leave me with the suspicion that maybe, just maybe it is all a big joke on his part....:)

Regarding live performance - I heard them back at Dynamo '98 (or was it '99? My memory of that time is a bit hazy...:cool:) and, expecting the worst, I was quite pleasantly surprised. OTOH, that could have something to do with my sketchy recollection of these festivals...
Yes, they're unintentionally hilarious. DeMaio's last interview with Rock Hard takes the cake, though. When confronted with stuff like their ever increasing ticket and merchandise prices, their abysmal performance at Earthashaker Festival, their weird release policy (3 live DVDs and 2 live CDs WTF?), their lame excuses for not coming up with a new album and the apparent use of a drum computer on that one song they've released recently, DeMaio complained that the interviewer had turned against Manowar and should shut the fuck up because he's not willing to "die for metal" while DeMaio is.

Regarding their live performance. It's not really "bad", it's more like "underwhelming". Here's the band that wrote some of the greatest classics, that recorded what some would consider the perfect traditional metal album (Kings of Metal) and their live performance simply doesn't live up to that.

DeMaio's demented rants on stage are getting old really fast and you just wish the moron would should the fuck up and play the next song. And the fact that he tells more or less the same shit on every concert of every tour doesn't exactly make it better. Then we have Carl Logan's completly unimpressive, soulless and bland shredding, Joey's annoying bass solos and the worst part is that Eric Adams sucks as a live singer. He simply doesn't have the vocal range anymore to really do the old songs well so he goes into grunting mode half of the time, it's really sad.

Oh, well, they're still a better live band than, say, Virgin Steele or Helloween.

Back