Finland to finally win the Eurovision song contest

CosmoKramer said:
Finland is a great Nordic country, but it has nothing to do with Scandinavia.
agreed, but lets not derail this thread by starting that old discussion over again...

btw, Dimmu Borgir & Turbonegro rulez! (just trying to say something vaguely on-topic)

Well, Finland has more to do with Scandinavia than Iceland. And I do consider Finland a part of the very essence of Scandinavia. Really, the differences in the culttures are so small, Scandinavia could even be seen as one big country.

Hard rock Hallelujah!!!
Lordi rules!!!!!1111!!!!
LOL I didn't realise that watching Eurovision song contest could be so entertaining and exciting... I sure hope that we'll be able to make next Year's show better than last year's catastrophic IAAF World Championships in Athletics opening ceremony...

yay.jpg

Kaotik said:
Oh my, is this getting funny or not :LOL:

All kinds of christian wackos are now yelling, tabloids writing etc how Finland can send these "spawns of Satan" to Eurovision contest, and how a company they're related to is lead by someone sentenced to life in prison etc etc
I turned on the subtitles while watching the show and the lyrics are quite inoffensive. They must have loved the free pubicity. The BBC commentator called them the Orc-Klingons :D

The first time I saw a picture of Lordi I also thought they were a mere GWAR rip-off. There are differences, though.

- Lordi don't do over-the-top splatter live shows
- Lordi actually make pretty damn good music while GWAR have never written as much as an half-decent song in their lives
- their music is very different from Gwar's
- Lordi's costumes are more sophisticated and they don't have stuff like huge penises and such

The only similarity I can see is that both bands wear costumes as a means to provide additonal entertainment and convey an image. GWAR is all about live shows, Lordi is actually about good music.

Last edited by a moderator:
RussSchultz said:
If you say so.
I own all Lordi CDs but not one GWAR CD, even though I am a GWAR fan (I've been to 4 of their concerts), because no GWAR CD is worth buying. There is the occasional GWAR song that is kinda semi-fun listening to when you're drunk at a party because it's so stupid (in a good way) but basically, it's all a technically really inept and thrash metal / punk rock mongrel that just never feels right.

Lordi play 80's-style heavy rock, with a nod or two to bands like KISS and Alice Cooper, but quite a bit grittier and they do it extremely well, even though I think their debut album is still their best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then. You own their albums and not GWAR's. That proves they're better!

;)

Personally, watching the Eurovision performance, I find Lordi to be a polished turd that is/was GWAR. Its the same formula that has been gentrified a bit for mainstream consumption. It doesn't jump out at me that one or the other is has better technical chops, though the Lordi lyrics are certainly more understandable. Is that just polishing for the masses? Or does the singer kmow how to sing better?

Of course, my opinion isn't worth much, as I don't own either groups albums, though I've seen GWAR twice now. And, of course, I'm not going for the music, but for the spectacle. Their musical style isn't my taste.

RussSchultz said:
Personally, watching the Eurovision performance, I find Lordi to be a polished turd that is/was GWAR. Its the same formula that has been gentrified a bit for mainstream consumption.

I haven't heard of GWAR before so I can't compare, but as far as being mainstream, this particular song is a bit more more mainstream than Lordi's other songs, which is probably because it's aimed at a much wider audience.

I would have thought somehing along the lines of "Would you love a monsterman" would have been a lot more mainstreamish choice :)

I ended looking up Lordi some more, and GWAR(never heard of them b4). Lordi remind me of ManoWar, basically a big punch of posers whose music can be ok/good but the lyrics are really weak and can make me laugh they are so terrible sometimes. Lordi's lyrics in the Eurovision song almost sound christian to me. Hallelujah is not a word for use in metal, it just seems like a oxymoron to me. Im just glad a rock/metal band won for once, too much rap, hip hop and pop tripe in my neck of the woods.

Sorry about the Noridc/Scandinavian confusion, most of the best metal seems to come from Scandinavian/Nordic countries.

Back