FIFA 16

Wait a second. I haven't followed FIFA in, well, never. But they never had women? Until today??? It only took them what, 30 games to do this?

I'm actually speechless.

Wait a second. I haven't followed FIFA in, well, never. But they never had women? Until today??? It only took them what, 30 games to do this?

I'm actually speechless.

As far as I know, never. NHL added women to their games maybe 3 years ago ... sort of. You can create a female player, but they don't actually feature any real female athletes. NHL should do the same as FIFA, and at least add the national teams.

Rumour has it that instead of the usual free kick about between loading, you now have a Sepp Blatter minigame whereas you have to catch as many brown envelopes as possible whilst avoiding the authorities breaking into the FIFA HQ.

I'm actually speechless.
They could also have all the feminine football teams in the world, it doesn't change a few other facts. I am not happy with football games as I used to be in the PES 6 era.

If the game only allowed people to play with full manual controls, then it could be competitive or realistic, but when you see that any player or entire team can play like Cristiano Ronaldo, the game becomes instantly dull. I played a lot of FIFA 11 with a friend, but used manual controls, goals where very hard to score, but it was way more fun, and helped to add a bit of realism.

Yesterday, for instance, I watched a FIFA 15 clip from a friend, he was playing with Colombia, scored a nice goal, every pass seemed to be made by Toni Kroos, the most precise passer in the world, imho, and I couldn't believe it.

If you require manual controls, the learning curve will be too high for a lot of FIFA fans to bother learning. I haven't time to spent refining my FIFA skills and just want to pick-up-and-play (I've also never seen the assists work as well as you say! Plenty of missed passes and missed goals playing FIFA through the years).

What's missing from FIFA is the old formula of a club taken up through the ranks, and supporting that in online. The best ever was creating a school team made of your mates playing jumpers for goalposts, and taking them to win the Premiereship. Every FIFA playing kid I've mentioned this to thinks it's the best way to play football ever, yet EA have dropped it and slavishly follow official football. They've managed to design a lot of the fun out of their game.

I wonder if you could leverage anti-trust laws against selling exclusive licenses. Probably not, but I would certainly like it. Currently it generates the wrong kind of competition.

I wonder if you could leverage anti-trust laws against selling exclusive licenses. Probably not, but I would certainly like it.
:nope: I understand your point but what you're suggesting is that Government or courts should be able to compel a private company or an individual who owns IP, a brand or a trademark, to licence it to people against their will. I think the only circumstance where a regulator or industry body can exert pressure in this way is where the ownership rights are in some way linked to a FRAND licence, such as patents in industry standards.

I doubt FIFA even know what "reasonable and non-discriminatory" mean!

I am genuinely curious if this will impact sales.

Played the demo. Graphics look basically unchanged from FIFA 15, but the gameplay feels a lot different. Maybe the quality of Pro Evolution last year spurred them to action, because the game seems to play a little more like pro evolution. Both on and off the ball, the players feel smoother and more responsive. The animations for the dribbling and the touches are a lot more realistic. Crossing is vastly improved and the physics of the ball seem a lot better. The goalie doesn't have glue hands and punches the ball more often, like a real keeper, and will also give up some more rebounds. Playing as the women's international teams is pretty damned cool. Overall, I'm feeling more positive about the game again. It's been a while since they really updated the way the players moved on the field.

Last edited:
Back