Faster: your internet connection or your cd/dvd drive?

Faster: your internet connection or your cd/dvd drive?

• my cd/dvd drive is faster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, (there is always other)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mendel

Mr. Upgrade
Veteran
I just thought this would make an interesting, meaningless poll.

First cd drives (1x) were transmitting data at 150kB/s. Many have an internet connection faster than that. Even the fastest cd drives have hard time reaching the speed of some gigabit connections that some lucky ones have. Not sure about the dvd drives though :)

edit: capital B

Mendel said:
I just thought this would make an interesting, meaningless poll.

First cd drives (1x) were transmitting data at 150kB/s. Many have an internet connection faster than that.
150kBytes/s is 1.2 Mbits/s (and that doesn't have the overhead of packet headers etc). Given that CD drives will easily do 20~40x these days, I rather think they are tad faster than your typical internet connection!

[EDIT: Caffiene level now restored to normal. G=>M]

Simon F said:
150kBytes/s is 1.2 Gbits/s

What did you smoke after breakfast this morning huh? :) 150k/s isn't anywhere near even half a gigabit/s, much less 1.2Gbit... Methinks you got your prefixes mixed up a bit! :)

Funny with all these gigabit ethernet ports on mobos these days. If they're of a good quality they're quite a bit faster than any harddrive on the market today (fastest sequential transfer rates is only ~90MB/s for Very Expensive server SCSI drives, and that's only on the outermost section of the disks). Even including packet overhead, I might add. :)

Guden Oden said:
What did you smoke after breakfast this morning huh? :)
I'm not stupid enough to smoke, however my level of caffiene has now been boosted. :)
Anyway, if you were woken up several times during the night because your baby daughter had a head cold, then maybe you'd understand. :(

Guden Oden said:
Simon F said:
150kBytes/s is 1.2 Gbits/s
Funny with all these gigabit ethernet ports on mobos these days. If they're of a good quality they're quite a bit faster than any harddrive on the market today (fastest sequential transfer rates is only ~90MB/s for Very Expensive server SCSI drives, and that's only on the outermost section of the disks). Even including packet overhead, I might add. :)

True enough, would have to be directly connected to another computer to get close to 100MB/s though.. :p

Don't know what the point of gigabit nics on motherboards are for home use, don't know any routers you can afford or dsl/cable modems that do much more than 100Mbps, 54Mbps wireless.. but of course it's faster and faster is always good, so people will want it, lol.

I plan on getting it for my new fileserver(only got 100Mbit now) which I'm putting in my closet. Getting a silent Seagate or maybe Samsung for my desktop and a gigabit NIC for the server. It's going to be sweeeet...

100Mbits isn't all that much when you will transfer your mp3-collection or backup clone-cd images to/from it. ~20 minutes for a DVD-image. *groan*

Connecting your DSL-modem or maybe a printer, well that's a waste, but then again it doesn't really cost much more anyway(if at all). More for the same, I'm all for it! :)

Back